Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cleaning Aquarium stains

I'm the proud new owner of a 46 Gallon aquarium, however the tank itself is a bit dirty toward the top with water sains, where the water line probably was. It looks pretty ugly, and i'm trying to scrub it off, but it just wont go away. I've tried taking a damp towel with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, but that don't seem to be helping much (plus smelly).

Any advice would be great!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vinegar and a razor blade works great just be careful not to scratch the tank

Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been using vinegar and it hasn't been working all that well. I might try soaking a towel in some vinegar, turning the tank over, and letting it soak over night or something.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggs180
I've been using vinegar and it hasn't been working all that well. I might try soaking a towel in some vinegar, turning the tank over, and letting it soak over night or something.
Try scraping it off with a razor blade after you spray it with vinegar. I keep some vinegar in a spray bottle, a razor blade is the only way I've been able to get the stains off of my tank
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I tried that as well, it took off some of the looser particles but theres a band going across the front of the tank that i just cant seem to even take out. This tank has probably been out of use for some time, so the stain seems to be well ettched in.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try the soaked towel for a bit and then try the razor. one of my tanks was like that when I got it I had to soak it, scrape it, soak it, scrape it. It took forever it seems but it finally came up after a few days
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've turned it over and just took a bunch of old rags, soaked em in vinegar, placed on the marks, and i'm going to leave it over night. see if that will allow me to etch off or scrub off the marks.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggs180
I've turned it over and just took a bunch of old rags, soaked em in vinegar, placed on the marks, and i'm going to leave it over night. see if that will allow me to etch off or scrub off the marks.
Sounds like the right thing to do! Good luck!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

the effect has been very minimal. I'm starting to look around for any other alternative methods but i'm not seeing any. I might just leave it, since the stain is barely visible when the tank is full.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I know this sounds really odd but after looking it up I read a few suggestions on KoolAid, fill the tank with really hot water and KoolAid and let it soak overnight. Not at all sure if this works but hey it might be worth a try. I've also read tobacco sauce

Tags
aquarium, clean, cleaning, stain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com