Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2003, 07:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cleaning tanks with a cut hand

So I know we already understand that we shouldn't clean our tanks with any open cuts but just in case you were unaware I was reading my Men's Health Magazine and they report that the new journal Clinical Infectious Diseases reveals that dirty aquarium water can cause you to develop a potentially serious skin infection that can lead to painful open sores.

Make sure to clean up good after you clean your tanks everyone!!

Old 12-11-2003, 09:42 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
There are actually a couple of diseases that can be contracted from fish. I don't remember what they were, but one of them was pretty nasty. There is also, in a reef tank, the danger of palytoxin getting into a cut from zoanthids and palythoa. Coral nemacysts are VERY effective if they touch a cut place. The right one will leave you hopping around saying things you wouldn't want your mother to hear you say. Latex gloves will prevent all of this. The shoulder length gloves probably should be used if you have any open cuts.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not to mention just getting cut on those sharp reef rocks. Those long dishwahing gloves with elastic bands to seal them up work great. And for planted tanks there is always some great long tong things that seem to work, though I haven't found them in the store yet.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

This has been a sticky thread over in FW, but it certainly applies to SW as well: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=10620

Tis a discussion on mycobacterium and diseases communicable between fish and humans. If the infection you're talkin about tkos is different then mycobacterium infections and you can get more info, can you throw a post in that thread?

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll have to wait until that issue of the journal comes out. Still just a blurb in another magazine right now.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I not only read Men's Health magazine, but I'm also a Men's Health model (you can see me on the "before" picture of the "Belly-off Club" ) Um...yeah...Here's the article from Clinical Infectious Diseases

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/CID....abstract.html
Old 12-11-2003, 06:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, thanks for the link.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-0...ture/index.htm

Here is another great link for all those that are concerned.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep; thats the article linked in the sticky thread. I've spoken to a couple of the folks in that article; mycobacterium infections are NASTY and not something to be ignored.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those picture tell it all. At the very least wash up really good with soap after cleaning your tanks.

Tags
clean, cleaning, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com