Clear water problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Had a tank with clear water. Tried everything, read threads, posted for advice - no luck.

Then I tried rinsed API laterite gravel. Now all my tank problems have just disappeared and I'm no longer cursed with clear water syndrome! :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429920886.224144.jpg

Congrats! With some effort, I've managed that look a few times:
LeZg89d.png
6m6NzGd.png

But gravity and filtration took it away.
Give it some time. Clay based particulates may take a very long time to settle. You could try using a flocculant.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, that's a good idea. Would be nice to get the suspended clay down into the substrate.

It's getting better.

When I used sand, it stayed cloudy for days.

And the flourite sand.. Omg! But we added a layer of fluval stratum (2 inches) that's calmed everything down. :)

Congrats! With some effort, I've managed that look a few times:
LeZg89d.png
6m6NzGd.png

But gravity and filtration took it away.
Give it some time. Clay based particulates may take a very long time to settle. You could try using a flocculant.

Tank has cleared fairly well.

But I was thinking about this as I have been gradually adding the API laterite gravel as funds allow. So in another 4 months or so I could see myself buying some more and running into the same problem.

On the one hand, the clay would be good in the substrate, on the other I have to rinse the gravel to get rid of the worst of it.

I wonder if adding a flocculant to the gravel just before I add to tank would help?

Tank has cleared fairly well.

But I was thinking about this as I have been gradually adding the API laterite gravel as funds allow. So in another 4 months or so I could see myself buying some more and running into the same problem.

On the one hand, the clay would be good in the substrate, on the other I have to rinse the gravel to get rid of the worst of it.

I wonder if adding a flocculant to the gravel just before I add to tank would help?

Not sure if the flocculant will stay in the gravel area since it is liquid.
You could try adding the rinsed substrate to the tank via a PVC pipe or 2L plastic bottle (with the bottom cut out). This way interaction with the water column is minimized. Not cloud proof but an improvement.

Not sure if the flocculant will stay in the gravel area since it is liquid.
You could try adding the rinsed substrate to the tank via a PVC pipe or 2L plastic bottle (with the bottom cut out). This way interaction with the water column is minimized. Not cloud proof but an improvement.

Great idea, I will try that.

Back
Top Bottom