Colorado Lake Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My grandpa owns a few lakes in KY. We introduced several hundred carp to keep several kinds of vegetation down but they haven't affected bass, bluegill, catfish, or crappie populations.

29g Community

3g Betta

It all depends on which type(s) of Carp you released. There are a few different ones. Some depend mostly on vegetation while others use the same resources that native fish fry use which is why they suffer from them being there. The Carp are a hardier fish and out compete the other fish for the food.
You can read this article that explains it. (y)
Asian Carp Overview - Mississippi National River & Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Hope this helps (y)

Must admit carp have been a great mistake here. They wreck the water way with their eating habits. I have seen articles on dams being emptied for cleaning and the remaining water is full of carp with not many other fish unfortunately.

Dang, it's the lionfish all over again. But this time it's freshwater. I once found 5 goldfish in the creek behind my old house I got them out, now I'm really really glad I did. I shudder at the thought of a goldfish infestation and a waterspout combined.

It all depends on which type(s) of Carp you released. There are a few different ones. Some depend mostly on vegetation while others use the same resources that native fish fry use which is why they suffer from them being there. The Carp are a hardier fish and out compete the other fish for the food.

You can read this article that explains it. (y)

Asian Carp Overview - Mississippi National River & Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Hope this helps (y)

Good info on the Asian carp. My sister in law's family has a large pond with a few Israeli carp (for vegetation control) that were introduced in the 1960s. From what I understand, the carp do not breed because of a hormone produced by the bass and/or bluegill present.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dang, it's the lionfish all over again. But this time it's freshwater. I once found 5 goldfish in the creek behind my old house I got them out, now I'm really really glad I did. I shudder at the thought of a goldfish infestation and a waterspout combined.

Lionfish? Is that SW?

Good info on the Asian carp. My sister in law's family has a large pond with a few Israeli carp (for vegetation control) that were introduced in the 1960s. From what I understand, the carp do not breed because of a hormone produced by the bass and/or bluegill present.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I'm not truly sure that's the reason. Some types of aquacultured fish are sterile to begin with and I believe that's the reason your Sister-in-law's fish have not reproduced. The following is an excerpt from the Warnell school of Forest Resources ( in GA, USA) in regard to using sterilized Carp for weed control in lakes. The grass carp (Cteno pharyngodon idella) occurs naturally in large rivers of the eastern USSR and China. It was introduced into the United States in 1963 by the United States Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife in cooperation with Auburn University. The feeding habits of the grass carp were well known and it was thought to have great potential as a biological weed control agent. However, there was concern that the grass carp could reproduce in the wild and become an environmental nuisance, destroying valuable areas such as wetlands, swamps and waterfowl feeding grounds.

Because of these environmental concerns, early research focused on developing sterile populations. Attempts included producing single-gender populations, creating sterile hybrids and removing gonads. Success was limited because these methods were seldom 100 percent effective and verification of sterility was difficult. In the early 1980s researchers and commercial producers began treating eggs with heat, cold or pressure to inhibit the second maturation division in the fertilized egg. This produced fish with abnormal chromosome numbers. The normal diploid grass carp has a chromosome number (2N) of 48, while the triploid grass carp has a chromosome number (3N) of 72. The extra chromosomes result in sterility. Unfortunately, not all treated eggs develop into fish with abnormal chromosome numbers. A technique using an electronic particle size analyzer was developed in the early 1980s which identifies carp as triploids or diploids. Georgia laws and regulations require each grass carp be verified and documented as a triploid.

When I was growing up, I fished a few lakes in my town that had European originated Carp, Largemouth bass and assorted types of Sunfish and they all were reproducing.

Lionfish? Is that SW?
Yes del, lionfish are saltwater but the concept is what's being compared. Lionfish were released into the Atlantic Ocean by hobbyists and since they had no natural predators in the Atlantic, they flourished and now are found in many areas of the Atlantic Ocean and seem to be uncontrolable at this point. They have damaged the natural ecosystems by eating the foods ( fish) that other native species need to survive. This is similar to what's happening with the goldfish. :(

Much to similar. The law in a lot of places where lionfish are common is to kill on sight.
And there seems to be no way to eradicate them as well. I recently saw a program where someone in a mini sub found one a few hundred feet down ( maybe even a mile down, I forget) so they are living in many areas where noone goes as well. This is what could also happen with any introduced species that can take over an ecosystem. :(

Lol the grouper seemed super frustrated that the lionfish continuously kept pointing his spikes at him. He kept trying to swim to the other side.

29g Community

3g Betta

I found out that scientists are trying to train certain types of sharks that live around reefs to eat lionfish. Just search "types of sharks that eat lionfish" on Google.

While this may be an encouraging sign, there are questions that I didn't see answers to. Such as What was the after effect to the grouper from eating the venom of the lionfish?
Second point: It may be that the groupers are now eating the Lions because there is no other food fish available anymore so "desperate times call for desperate measures" but if the grouper had any ill effects digesting the fish, I doubt it would eat another one.
Third point: These groupers are native to the areas where Lionfish first were introduced. If they were the answer, why did the lions get so out of control in the first place?

Just some thoughts... ;)

While this may be an encouraging sign, there are questions that I didn't see answers to. Such as What was the after effect to the grouper from eating the venom of the lionfish?
Second point: It may be that the groupers are now eating the Lions because there is no other food fish available anymore so "desperate times call for desperate measures" but if the grouper had any ill effects digesting the fish, I doubt it would eat another one.
Third point: These groupers are native to the areas where Lionfish first were introduced. If they were the answer, why did the lions get so out of control in the first place?

Just some thoughts... ;)

Maybe they have fish training schools organised now?

I know what you mean.

A lot of native animals here are killed eating poisonous cane toads to get one animal that can successfully do it.

And just think, those cane toads were brought there on purpose if I remember correctly. :eek: See what happens when there are no natural predators?

Back
Top Bottom