Coming up to a year in hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing tanks fresh20 they look great

Penguin thats alot of tanks but they all sound rlly cool

And i agree with bigredsreefs10 dallascowboys16 it seems you are slacking in the tank department.... or everyone else is just fish crazy ?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never crazy. He is definitely slacking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Amazing tanks fresh20 they look great

Penguin thats alot of tanks but they all sound rlly cool

And i agree with bigredsreefs10 dallascowboys16 it seems you are slacking in the tank department.... or everyone else is just fish crazy ?

Haha thanks it really is a fun hobby but is very expensive for someone like me who is 17 and saves up his lunch money for new equipment and fish

Wow, Sorry guys! :lol: Ill get that ten gallon setup and running with some nice fish. Torn between Corydoras pygmaeus, Furcata rainbows, or a pair of apistos of some kind. Not all three just 1. It will be a species only tank. I actually kind of enjoy only having 1 tank because I can really focus on making it the best it can be and can put all my funds toward top dollar equipment and livestock. I am itching for this ten gallon though. :brows:

That does make alot of sense penguin takes awhile to get a tank the way you like it...

And the furcata rainbows would be my choice but now i say that mmmm apistos... either way i want pics when u get it up and running dallascowboys16

Lol this is such a good thread, celebrating each other's time put into the hobby. I'm coming up to my first year as well, on my birthday actually, January 26th. Kinda farther than some of you but I'm really proud of everything I've achieved and of course everything I've learned. This forum is honestly the biggest motivation I've had throughout this hobby as it can be overwhelming but to see people put in really hard work and a lot of time to build their dream tanks really inspires me to keep moving and not give up when things go left. I have two tanks that aren't finished yet what so ever because I will always want to improve just to show you all how much I've learned.

Lol sorry for the long and emotional paragraph, I just want you all to know I'm grateful for everyone who inspires and motivates the hobby. Thanks guys :)

Wow, Sorry guys! :lol: Ill get that ten gallon setup and running with some nice fish. Torn between Corydoras pygmaeus, Furcata rainbows, or a pair of apistos of some kind. Not all three just 1. It will be a species only tank. I actually kind of enjoy only having 1 tank because I can really focus on making it the best it can be and can put all my funds toward top dollar equipment and livestock. I am itching for this ten gallon though. :brows:

Love my furcatas! Great color, active yet not agressive...definitely my vote (y)

Although I've kept fish for approximately 4 years, I recognize January 1st 2015 as being the date I started "looking after" fish and stopped torturing goldfish in undersized, unfiltered tanks

90ltr: was my second real tank
tetras rasboras and a gbr
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441867735.333436.jpg

250ltr: was my first real tank
originally a heated set up for goldfish but is slowly becoming a rainbow tank as I wait for summer so i can relocate the goldies to a pond
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441868177.462540.jpg

I've also just entered into negotiations with the wife regarding upgrading the 250ltr to 500ltr and I'm still trying to work out where I can fit a betta tank in my lounge room though convincing her that 3 tanks in the lounge room is a good thing might be a tad too difficult

How do you guys pay for electricity....

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the responses those are nice tanks lunch :)
And sealife idk the bill comes i pay it lol im a plumber and gasfitter in alberta even with oil at below 50 a barrel i still make good money

How do you guys pay for electricity....

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My issue is more the water bill. It's very high in my area and we have very chlorinated or chloramined water. They also add alot of fluoride even though it's no long thought necessary. My dad is the light dictator. He doesn't mess with the basement or fish but even though we are switching from all CFL to led bulbs he is fanatic about shutting off lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the responses those are nice tanks lunch :)
And sealife idk the bill comes i pay it lol im a plumber and gasfitter in alberta even with oil at below 50 a barrel i still make good money

I got lucky my dad was a display maker and at times contractor so he builds things and changes the electric without having to pay someone. That would get too expensive for me to pay someone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice tanks everyone !!! [emoji41]
I just got back into the hobby 6 months now, still learning new stuff, but was always a fish guy and love all types of animals. Well my fist tank is still running an 8- 10 gal which is overstocked and my 90 build is almost complete, but my fish keep staring up at it , " when can I move in ? " with that look on their faces. For some strange reason ... My fish can sense or know that they are going to be moved. " weird or what ?"
Maybe it's my first planted tank build and I'm anxious too ! [emoji622]

Clem.

Skylane i like your tank progression from a 10 straight into a 90 those fish are gonna be so happy when you move them

Well, I think I've been in the hobby for maybe 1 1/2 years? Got my first tank January 17th 2013 for my birthday, had it laying around a while, got a 10 after I found out it was too small for any "beginner" fish, had to set up a 2.5 again for crayfish that were aggressive, turned into a puffer tank and now I have a 5.5 gallon puffer tank and a 16 gallon as well! Pretty weak I know, but if anyone else owns tanks and still live in a house with pet restrictions then you know what I'm talking about.

Nice nils its not always about the size of the tann anyways

25 years and only one tank running. HA! I learned (the hard way) that it's better to go slow and steady like a candle then fast and hard like a firecracker when it comes to this hobby. I've seen people go headlong into it, dump several thousand dollars into the hobby, and then 5 years later post a "getting out of hobby sale" on there local forum.

Dont get me wrong - I've spent huge cash in the hobby, which I think is normal with any hobby (model trains, golf, classic car restoration, etc.). But I've noticed over the years that those who kept their balance last much longer in the hobby.

Im coming up on my first year of being a serious hobbyists in October. Started with fish when I was like 6 and have had my 29 gallon tank for years but was never serious about it..then plants came and it all went down from there. My dad has limited me to 4 total tanks which stinks because thats QT and DT.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Skylane i like your tank progression from a 10 straight into a 90 those fish are gonna be so happy when you move them

Yes, and thank you .
I agree with you on slow progression into the hobby, as I had many tanks before but life changes when you don't expect it to, but now older and wiser, I hope.[emoji622]
For some reason I'm having trouble post pics , I'm getting failure to upload my pics of the new tank. The fish are in the new tank now, I'll still keep trying.

Clem

Back
Top Bottom