Community Stocking Rule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tukker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, alot of topics I read are about community tanks.
Wich are being stocked and alot of.them I believeare overstocked. I've been taught this rule, its 1cm of fish per liter water. Thats almost the same as 1 inch per half american gallon.
You then only have to think for yourself that the lengthn of the fish you wAnt is not to big. So you dont put a 20cm fish in 20 liters or 100cm fish in 100 liters.

Best regards

Tukker,

That rule is highly flawed. I honestly don't think it should be used as advise ever for stocking a tank. Yes, there are times when it can apply, but there are so many more variables to be considered, like the size of a single fish (which you mentioned).

Agreed totally. At the end of the day it's their tank but i think AA manages to stop people stocking their tank that way.

Yeah, that rule is flawed. Consider this as an example of how it is. You have two 2 cm fish. One fish is .5 cm thick and the other is 3 cm thick. The bio loads of those fish are not the same. You cannot stock them the same. Similar things can be said for similar sized fish who have different activity levels. The list goes on, not to mention people forgetting to keep in mind the full size of their fish...so stocking a tank to that will change as the fish grow.

Don't get me started on Watts per gallon rule...

Thats why I also said that it depends on thesize.the fish, you cant put a large fish in a small would fit tank, cause some type of.fish need more swimming space than.others

tukker said:
Thats why I also said that it depends on thesize.the fish, you cant put a large fish in a small would fit tank, cause some type of.fish need more swimming space than.others

I guess I don't understand the reason behind this post? Or what you are trying to say. I apologize.

FishontheRock said:
Just a correction. 1L is closer to 1/4gal then 1/2gal. 1 US gal=3.8L

Roughly 2 cm to an inch, so 1 inch per 2 liters, thus 1 inch per 1/2 gallon. His math was correct, although the stocking rule itself is incorrect.

Alyxx said:
Roughly 2 cm to an inch, so 1 inch per 2 liters, thus 1 inch per 1/2 gallon. His math was correct, although the stocking rule itself is incorrect.

Oops for some reason I read 1" to 1L not 1cm to 1L this the confusion.

Well i thought 1 english Gallon was 3.5 liter and american was 4.5 liter.

In general the rule applies quite well on the 1cm on 1L format, if you think or yourself and dont put 1 large 20 cm fish in a 20 liters. But I imagine most people can think so that stuff .t happen I hope.

tukker said:
Well i thought 1 english Gallon was 3.5 liter and american was 4.5 liter.

In general the rule applies quite well on the 1cm on 1L format, if you think or yourself and dont put 1 large 20 cm fish in a 20 liters. But I imagine most people can think so that stuff .t happen I hope.

Yes I think so.

Back
Top Bottom