Computer Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know there's a lot of people here that build their own systems. I've been messing around with my system at home for about a month and have narrowed the problem down to the motherboard and or processor.

I don't need a new computer system, I just need a bare bones system. This system is the first that I haven't built myself. However, it's been six years since I built my own and I haven't kept up. I'm trying to decide between putting together my own system again and finding a place that will just sell me a bare bones system.

Here's what I would need:
case
mobo/processor
memory
harddrive with XP

I have everything else.

Someone have suggestions for components, places to buy them and places that sell bare bone systems?

yeah... Pricewatch is what I was thinking of. Thanks! I went to egghead and was shocked to see it's an amazxon store now.

It really depends on what it's going to be used for.

Word processing & email? Buy a refurb from a computer store for $100.

All of the above plus simple games & cd/dvd burning? Build a simple one.

All of the above plus Fancy games and movies? Not a bare bones system, back to the drawing board...

Yes I should have listed what it's going to be used for. Its going to be the primary computer system at home. Doesn't have to be a top notch game system this time around, because I plan on building a new system for me eventually. It does have to support multimedia, kid's games, dvd burning, etc.

What I have in there now is a P4 2.66, not sure what mother board. It's adequate for what I've been using if for including Doom 4. :)

So with that in mind anyone have any recommendations? I'm not anti AMD by any means.

Good luck with compatibility; there isn't really an user-friendly chart for that. ;\

That's the one thing that's forcing me to consider buying a pre-made system. . . I've tended to buy hardware in the past that doesn't like each other.

On the other hand, a little research can solve that problem, and there's nothing like knowing your pc that intimately. :grin:

Remember: if you don't sweat, cry, and bleed, the system probably won't work. :grin:

yeah, I've been trying to decide what to do. my three year old called me this morning to tell me he blue screened while playing Nemo and that we needed a new computer. heading to a couple computer stores on the way home

Awwww; that's pretty (at the risk of sounding like the father of a 1 year old daughter) cute. :grin:

1 Linkworld Black/Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case with 400W power supply, Model "A319-C2628-P4" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16811164006
$40.00

3 Vantec "Stealth" Double Ball Bearing Case fan, Model "SF6025L"
Item# N82E16811999601
$6.55

1 ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
Item# N82E16813131510
$135.00

1 ASUS nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, AGP 8X, Model "N6600GT/TD/128" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16814121195
$230.00

1 AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor - Retail
Item# N82E16819103501
$159.00

2 CORSAIR XMS, Xtra-Low Latency 2-2-2-5, 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 w/ Platinum Heat Spreader, Model CMX512-3200XLPT - Retail
Item# N82E16820145521
$127.33

1 Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only
Item# N82E16822144122
$ 60.00

1 KDS XF-7BK 17" Xtreme Flat CRT Monitor –RETAIL
Item# N82E16824155031
$108.95

1 SONY 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1613, OEM
Item# N82E16827101125
$ 25.00

1 Logitech X-230 2.1 Black Speaker System -OEM
Item# N82E16836121123
$35.00

Subtotal: $ 1,065.31
Tax: $.00
Shipping & Handling: $82.82
Grand Total: $ 1,148.13

Here's what I built. Tack an extra $30 to that--I tried using onboard sound but gave up in frustration and bought a soundblaster live card.

The first computer I bought is that, but with an AMD 3500+, 120GB Harddrive, 9800pro vid card, a 5.1 soundblaster card, and a DVD-RW drive. It was an extra $700.

Iknow shuttle pc sells some cool small Bare bones Pc's that reeally neat. They can pack a mean punch for a liitle box and resonible pricing.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I actually broke down and bought a compaq system last night. Can't say I'm 100% happy with the decision, especially since I forgot HP bought them. Just have to figure out how to get all the extra crap off the system. Tempted to Reformat the drive and reinstall the OS.

Going to rebuild the old system in the next couple months so I'll check out all the sites and recommendations posted.

I'm not happy, but it was the right decision. :twisted:

I would NEVER have bought that for me as I build my own systems. The Compaq is the family system. Put into perspective I can deal with the Compaq but I have to keep reminding myself. ;)

If you have any desire whatsoever to reinstall the OS, do it NOW before anything else is installed!! (Sounds like you know this, but just a little jab/reminder about the pain it can be to wait and do it later. :D)

A dell? too many horror stories with them. We bought a bunch at work and have had a lot of problems. Plus I looked this AM at Dell just to compare. I looked on Sunday and wasn't too happy with what I saw. I got more for the $$ with the compaq than I could with a Dell.

Yeah I hear you about the OS. As much as I want to reinstall, I don't want to have to pay for the OS. :twisted: Plus I spent about 1 hour with it this morning and have a lot of the system to the point where it feels like home already. Just have to google to see if there's a way to remove all the extra crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom