Considering selling my tanks :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering selling my tanks... Anyone else think about it sometimes? I have a sick tank with possible symptoms of mycobacterium and I don't know what to do. I have contacted a vet for a necropsy but I can't see paying 75 dollars for a necropsy on a 99c danio. I'm constantly stressing over the fish and most of all im worried about my dogs and me... I'm trying to find to decide if I need to continue the hobby. If fish tb is common enough to be in my tanks then I'm not sure it's a hobby for me... :( I really really enjoy my tanks. I'm sad

Each of us has faced our own issues with our tanks/fish. Ultimately, the choice is yours whether or not to continue.

I haven't had tons of problems but back when I was a newbie, ich wiped out an entire community tank. Although it was very upsetting, I learned from it and made progress in the hobby. The longer you stick with it, the easier it gets. There's a constant learning curve and as long as you're willing to accept that curve, you keep moving forward.

Best wishes in whatever your decision is.

LyndaB said:
Each of us has faced our own issues with our tanks/fish. Ultimately, the choice is yours whether or not to continue.

I haven't had tons of problems but back when I was a newbie, ich wiped out an entire community tank. Although it was very upsetting, I learned from it and made progress in the hobby. The longer you stick with it, the easier it gets. There's a constant learning curve and as long as you're willing to accept that curve, you keep moving forward.

Best wishes in whatever your decision is.

I agree and ive had a lot of fish diseases to deal with in the beginning as well and I learned how to cycle my tanks and I now do weekly pwc. I think it's mostly just not knowing and worrying about my dogs and my nephews and myself... I'm taking my dog for shots Sunday I'm going to try and talk to the vet while I'm there. I really don't want to get rid of them but it's not worth risking the health of my family :((

If the tank is adding stress to your life, that's the opposite of the intended effect..... I would probably sell them, if I were you.

I'm really sorry it came down to this.

Fish-keeping is very stressful. It's a whole different ballgame than having a dog, where you have to provide absolutely everything for them. Can't just let them sleep on your coach.

I have gotten frustrated before. I had issues setting up my 55g that made me want to take a sledgehammar to it. It does get pretty expensive sometimes too, which doesn't work well with my student budget.

Disease/sickness is always the worst. It's hard to just watch something suffer and not want to throw in the towel.

If in the end it is just a hassle, I would look into selling everything, as LyndaB said. Maybe give some away to a family member or friend so you can still check on them? Maybe just sell everything and get a 5g betta tank just to have some aqua in your life? Or just get rid of the sick tank?

I hope everything works out for you, though.

I haven't had all the sickness/disease you have had to deal with, but I am right there with you on wanting to just sell it all and get out of the hobby at time. I started a thread a couple days ago about being "burnt out". Didn't get many hits, but I understand where you are coming from.

In the end a hobby has got to provide enjoyment. All hobbies can come with challenges, and that is good. Hobbies are often meant to help us extend and progress as much as provide enjoyment. That said, it is essential that there is enjoyment.

In my psychology classes I learned that the recommendation is 20 min of personal enjoyment and 20 minutes of exercise EVERY DAY! Both provide endorphins that boost our mood, but it takes our bodies about 15 minutes to produce them and then you need a minimum of 5 minutes to have them do you any good. If you are not getting any enjoyment out of the fish, and just adding stress to yourself...it can be rather destructive.

I feel like am being a little long winded, but don't hang on to something you don't enjoy. If you can make changes that will help you enjoy it again then do it. Other wise, its a good thing to move on. You could be holding yourself back from something that will provide the enjoyment you need.

I am sorry to hear of your fish's sickness, the trouble with enjoying life is grieving the end of it, from what I have researched as far as contracting TB from aquaria (Please confirm with your Vet) is that the Marine type of TB is worse than the freshwater type and though the bacterium is from the human TB family its not really the same thing, the Bacteria is transmitted to human as a skin lesion on the hand and forearm through broken skin (ie you would get an inflamed lesion or bump on your hands from being in the tank..) If you get these you are supposed to see your doctor. There is alot of information on the web if you do a search for it. again sorry for your loss.

So I've decided I love my tanks and the hobby to much! I'm going to try and talk to a vet Sunday when I'm taking my dogs for shots. I have a good feelin it's not myco ( i will still be careful and cautious) and I'm going to keep trying! U guys tell me I'm not crazy lol!! I'm going to tell myself it is not
( while being cautious ) and try and relax and know that I'm doing my best to save these little guys. Wish me luck!!

I really appreciate u all! Thank u for everything! I'm optimistic that I am not dealing with myco but I hope to learn more about it and inform others . There seems to be a lot blanks and controversies concerning myco. I cannot find much solid information agreeing on the symptoms and such. Some say bent spine... Wasting,... Bloated bellies.... It's a shot in the dark diagnosing. How do u know for sure without a necropsy? You can't. I feel it cannot be that common or there would be more understanding on it. Aquarist need to be informed on the subject either way. I'm tired of stressing over something that could or could not be.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I'm really sorry it came down to this.

Fish-keeping is very stressful. It's a whole different ballgame than having a dog, where you have to provide absolutely everything for them. Can't just let them sleep on your coach.

I have gotten frustrated before. I had issues setting up my 55g that made me want to take a sledgehammar to it. It does get pretty expensive sometimes too, which doesn't work well with my student budget.

Disease/sickness is always the worst. It's hard to just watch something suffer and not want to throw in the towel.

If in the end it is just a hassle, I would look into selling everything, as LyndaB said. Maybe give some away to a family member or friend so you can still check on them? Maybe just sell everything and get a 5g betta tank just to have some aqua in your life? Or just get rid of the sick tank?

I hope everything works out for you, though.

I know everyone says it's peaceful but to me it's 50/50. I have been stressed as much as I have enjoyed them. I guess I just have to learn if the good or bad outweighs the other. Thank u I hope it works out as well! I have decided to keep fighting! Wish me luck

Johny said:
I haven't had all the sickness/disease you have had to deal with, but I am right there with you on wanting to just sell it all and get out of the hobby at time. I started a thread a couple days ago about being "burnt out". Didn't get many hits, but I understand where you are coming from.

In the end a hobby has got to provide enjoyment. All hobbies can come with challenges, and that is good. Hobbies are often meant to help us extend and progress as much as provide enjoyment. That said, it is essential that there is enjoyment.

In my psychology classes I learned that the recommendation is 20 min of personal enjoyment and 20 minutes of exercise EVERY DAY! Both provide endorphins that boost our mood, but it takes our bodies about 15 minutes to produce them and then you need a minimum of 5 minutes to have them do you any good. If you are not getting any enjoyment out of the fish, and just adding stress to yourself...it can be rather destructive.

I feel like am being a little long winded, but don't hang on to something you don't enjoy. If you can make changes that will help you enjoy it again then do it. Other wise, its a good thing to move on. You could be holding yourself back from something that will provide the enjoyment you need.

No u are fine thank u so much for your input. It's good to know I'm not the only one who has gotten so stressed/frustrated. I really enjoy my tanks and the hobby. Being a housewife it gives me something to do. And whenever I'm on the road traveling in my ministry they are easy for the working hubby to come home and feed. I'm being optimistic in believing this is not tb. I will still be careful but either way I don't wanna give it up. I do enjoy it even tho it's stressful at times :( hope with me that it is not myco :)

garfy said:
So glad your sticking with it.You have so many beautiful tanks which are a pleasure to look at.The very best of luck from me to you :)

Aww thank u very much! I do love it!! Most everyone I have talked to around here says myco is pretty rare. I called the Lfs I got them from and asked if he was having any trouble with any other fish and he said no problems our of the danios but ich and fungus out of a couple other fish. Seems like if it was myco he'd be having more issues around there. I'm staying hopeful

boadams87 said:
So flossie what has happened since?

Well I lost 8 danios ( the cause) and one angel! In the 55 I have 2 rams and one angel that seem fine now and in the ten gallon that I removed the other 2 danios from I have all my fish in there still. Evidently the danios had something and brought it to my tank but they were the only ones that died except for the one angel

Fish TB is rare. 40 years of fish keeping got it once. All I found out is you may contact it if your old & have cuts on your hand & put them in the water. Is this ture? I'm old with cuts & still here.

chagoi said:
Fish TB is rare. 40 years of fish keeping got it once. All I found out is you may contact it if your old & have cuts on your hand & put them in the water. Is this ture? I'm old with cuts & still here.

Lol yeah I wouldn't think it was tb but no one seemed to have the answers. I think it was some sort if infection I caught to late... My hands are always in the tanks without gloves and almost always have cracks on them... Drove me crazy not knowing.. I'm trying to grow brave enough to use my water changer in that tank again!

Back
Top Bottom