Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Considering selling my tanks :(

I am considering selling my tanks... Anyone else think about it sometimes? I have a sick tank with possible symptoms of mycobacterium and I don't know what to do. I have contacted a vet for a necropsy but I can't see paying 75 dollars for a necropsy on a 99c danio. I'm constantly stressing over the fish and most of all im worried about my dogs and me... I'm trying to find to decide if I need to continue the hobby. If fish tb is common enough to be in my tanks then I'm not sure it's a hobby for me... I really really enjoy my tanks. I'm sad

Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Each of us has faced our own issues with our tanks/fish. Ultimately, the choice is yours whether or not to continue.

I haven't had tons of problems but back when I was a newbie, ich wiped out an entire community tank. Although it was very upsetting, I learned from it and made progress in the hobby. The longer you stick with it, the easier it gets. There's a constant learning curve and as long as you're willing to accept that curve, you keep moving forward.

Best wishes in whatever your decision is.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
Each of us has faced our own issues with our tanks/fish. Ultimately, the choice is yours whether or not to continue.

I haven't had tons of problems but back when I was a newbie, ich wiped out an entire community tank. Although it was very upsetting, I learned from it and made progress in the hobby. The longer you stick with it, the easier it gets. There's a constant learning curve and as long as you're willing to accept that curve, you keep moving forward.

Best wishes in whatever your decision is.
I agree and ive had a lot of fish diseases to deal with in the beginning as well and I learned how to cycle my tanks and I now do weekly pwc. I think it's mostly just not knowing and worrying about my dogs and my nephews and myself... I'm taking my dog for shots Sunday I'm going to try and talk to the vet while I'm there. I really don't want to get rid of them but it's not worth risking the health of my family (
Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the tank is adding stress to your life, that's the opposite of the intended effect..... I would probably sell them, if I were you.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm really sorry it came down to this.

Fish-keeping is very stressful. It's a whole different ballgame than having a dog, where you have to provide absolutely everything for them. Can't just let them sleep on your coach.

I have gotten frustrated before. I had issues setting up my 55g that made me want to take a sledgehammar to it. It does get pretty expensive sometimes too, which doesn't work well with my student budget.

Disease/sickness is always the worst. It's hard to just watch something suffer and not want to throw in the towel.

If in the end it is just a hassle, I would look into selling everything, as LyndaB said. Maybe give some away to a family member or friend so you can still check on them? Maybe just sell everything and get a 5g betta tank just to have some aqua in your life? Or just get rid of the sick tank?

I hope everything works out for you, though.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I haven't had all the sickness/disease you have had to deal with, but I am right there with you on wanting to just sell it all and get out of the hobby at time. I started a thread a couple days ago about being "burnt out". Didn't get many hits, but I understand where you are coming from.

In the end a hobby has got to provide enjoyment. All hobbies can come with challenges, and that is good. Hobbies are often meant to help us extend and progress as much as provide enjoyment. That said, it is essential that there is enjoyment.

In my psychology classes I learned that the recommendation is 20 min of personal enjoyment and 20 minutes of exercise EVERY DAY! Both provide endorphins that boost our mood, but it takes our bodies about 15 minutes to produce them and then you need a minimum of 5 minutes to have them do you any good. If you are not getting any enjoyment out of the fish, and just adding stress to yourself...it can be rather destructive.

I feel like am being a little long winded, but don't hang on to something you don't enjoy. If you can make changes that will help you enjoy it again then do it. Other wise, its a good thing to move on. You could be holding yourself back from something that will provide the enjoyment you need.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am sorry to hear of your fish's sickness, the trouble with enjoying life is grieving the end of it, from what I have researched as far as contracting TB from aquaria (Please confirm with your Vet) is that the Marine type of TB is worse than the freshwater type and though the bacterium is from the human TB family its not really the same thing, the Bacteria is transmitted to human as a skin lesion on the hand and forearm through broken skin (ie you would get an inflamed lesion or bump on your hands from being in the tank..) If you get these you are supposed to see your doctor. There is alot of information on the web if you do a search for it. again sorry for your loss.
Don't remember the question, the answer is large PWC's, Prime, and OVERfiltering...
nextgeneration40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I've decided I love my tanks and the hobby to much! I'm going to try and talk to a vet Sunday when I'm taking my dogs for shots. I have a good feelin it's not myco ( i will still be careful and cautious) and I'm going to keep trying! U guys tell me I'm not crazy lol!! I'm going to tell myself it is not
( while being cautious ) and try and relax and know that I'm doing my best to save these little guys. Wish me luck!!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really appreciate u all! Thank u for everything! I'm optimistic that I am not dealing with myco but I hope to learn more about it and inform others . There seems to be a lot blanks and controversies concerning myco. I cannot find much solid information agreeing on the symptoms and such. Some say bent spine... Wasting,... Bloated bellies.... It's a shot in the dark diagnosing. How do u know for sure without a necropsy? You can't. I feel it cannot be that common or there would be more understanding on it. Aquarist need to be informed on the subject either way. I'm tired of stressing over something that could or could not be.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
I'm really sorry it came down to this.

Fish-keeping is very stressful. It's a whole different ballgame than having a dog, where you have to provide absolutely everything for them. Can't just let them sleep on your coach.

I have gotten frustrated before. I had issues setting up my 55g that made me want to take a sledgehammar to it. It does get pretty expensive sometimes too, which doesn't work well with my student budget.

Disease/sickness is always the worst. It's hard to just watch something suffer and not want to throw in the towel.

If in the end it is just a hassle, I would look into selling everything, as LyndaB said. Maybe give some away to a family member or friend so you can still check on them? Maybe just sell everything and get a 5g betta tank just to have some aqua in your life? Or just get rid of the sick tank?

I hope everything works out for you, though.
I know everyone says it's peaceful but to me it's 50/50. I have been stressed as much as I have enjoyed them. I guess I just have to learn if the good or bad outweighs the other. Thank u I hope it works out as well! I have decided to keep fighting! Wish me luck

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com