Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-28-2003, 02:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Cool Public Aquariums

Hey Folks,

I'm in North Carolina and I've been to pretty much every NC Aquarium. Last month on vacation I visted The Ripleys Aquarium at Myrtle Beach, SC. 2 Thumbs up, I loved it. The 350 ft underwater tunnel with sharks everywhere was the most incredible thing I've seen. Can anybody recommend some other cool aquariums to visit?

Esspresso! Breakfast of Champions.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
NEAQ (New England Aquarium) is pretty awesome. Their main tank is fascinating. Not a lot of corals, but overall, the aquarium is excellent, and very well known on a national level.

>>New England Aquarium's web site<<

They also have a cool webcam >>here<<

I remember the Aquarium in Chattanooga, TN being pretty neat.

Old 10-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to silverain420 Send a message via Yahoo to silverain420
Well, nowhere near SC, but if you are in California... Underwater world in San Francisco is great (not as large as I would lke though...) Also Monterey Bay Aquarium is pretty nice. There is another in San Francisco (can't think of the name) that is really large and expansive. (I want to call SF bay aquarium - but I could be wrong.)

--A life without ecstacy is not true life, and not worth living. -Eliot Cowan--
Old 10-28-2003, 02:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
The Florida Aquarium is very nice and if your in Central FL, you really should go to SeaWorld

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 10-28-2003, 03:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is very cool IMO, lots and lots of very huge, large, medium and small tanks, and also an indoor ocean/indoor stadium with dolphins etc.

This is where I saw garden eels for the first time ever and have since been enamored with them. There is also a very nice restaurant inside where you can have a nice glass of wine and a great lunch to take a break.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ostrichkiller Send a message via MSN to ostrichkiller
the one in buffalo ny is a joke. last time i was there i was not impressed at all. but i have also been in the one in SC you talked about and it is amazing!!! two thumbs and a toe!
Old 10-28-2003, 05:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
The Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, CT. Excellent place with an IMAX theatre to boot!
Old 10-28-2003, 05:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my best buds is a volunteer over at the Maritime center Flipper; we go visit fairly often...love the touch tank *grin* and I've helped her build boats in the boat building section.

I always have a soft spot in my heart for the NY Aquarium in Brooklyn; prob cause I grew up there.

The tank at the aquarium in Boston (the big round one) is one of my favs; some day, when I'm rich, I plan on owning a similar one ;)

Btw Flipper, you must be pretty close to me; I saw in your welcome post your in Southern NY? I'm in Westchester :)
aka Cycling Guru and the Ich Slayer

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to ddcboys
Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey California IS SIMPLY OUTSTANDING. It had a jelly fish exhibit this is simple unbelievable. The kicker is the grand finally it has a 1 million gallon tank that had massive sharks, tuna, turtles, and others. Simply Outstanding.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Ripply's also have an aquarium simmilar to NC in Gatlinburg TN. just over the NC TN border.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com