Coral bleaching on Great Barrier Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Scientists discover warning signs of coral bleaching on Great Barrier Reef

SYDNEY, Australia (AP): Scientists have identified early warning signs of rising ocean temperatures which threaten to drain Australia's Great Barrier Reef of its vibrant colours.

Coral bleaching -- when colorful reefs turn white -- occurs when the water temperature gets so high that it kills the algae which populate and build the corals. Researchers have warned that higher ocean temperatures caused by global warming could kill off most of the coral in the Great Barrier Reef -- the world's largest chain of living coral -- by 2050.

Australia's last major coral bleaching episode occurred in 2002, and damaged about 55 percent of the coral systems in the Great Barrier Reef, marine scientist Ray Berkelmans said Tuesday.

The Great Barrier Reef stretches for almost 2,000 kilometres (1,200 miles) along most of the Queensland state coast, and is one of Australia's most popular tourist spots.

Berkelmans -- who has been tracking ocean temperatures for 12 years -- said certain patterns have emerged that can help scientists predict bleaching episodes months before they occur. Previously, scientists could only track bleaching events as they happened, he said.

"We've found unusually intense cold water, (welling up) at the edge of the continental shelf, signals a change in tropical ocean currents and weather patterns which are then usually followed by bleaching,'' Berkelmans said in a statement.

The changing ocean currents can move warmer-than-usual water over the coral reefs.

Berkelmans said present conditions in the Coral Sea and western Pacific were "teetering on a knife-edge'' with temperatures and current patterns dangerously close to those that have preceded bleaching in the past.

"If these conditions continue through December we'll be very concerned,'' he said.

Despite the warnings about rising ocean temperatures, Australia has refused to sign the Kyoto pact aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions believed to cause global warming. The United States has also rejected the protocol, saying the different levels of carbon dioxide reductions assigned to wealthy and developing countries are unfair.

i am not a believer in global warming (in the sense that it is from green house gasses via industry cars ect..) personally from what i have seen global warming is a natrual event that happens, along with global cooling. anyway nature finds a way to adapt i also believe the reefs will also adapt.

Hopfully...

Regretfully the heavy tourisum to the barrier reef is also one of its biggest threats. Boats either bottoming out, dragging their anchors over the reef and water poliution from the outboard motors affect the overall health of the reef and could make it more suceptable to such bleaching events.

I Agree

I dont much believe in Global Warming as well, I remember as a kid in the 70's being told about the coming Ice Age because all of the smog in the air was causeing the sunlight to not get through which in turn caused the earth to get colder. I do think the reefs are suffering but I'm more liking believe its due to things like over fishing and water polution then global warming.

occurs when the water temperature gets so high that it kills the algae which populate and build the corals
Balony, algea does not build coral reef, if anything it tends to smother them.
The world has gone through cycles through its history. I don't see why that would be different now.
Sorry, I don't buy it.

Regretfully the heavy tourisum to the barrier reef is also one of its biggest threats. Boats either bottoming out, dragging their anchors over the reef and water poliution from the outboard motors affect the overall health of the reef and could make it more suceptable to such bleaching events.
This is more the trouble IMO.

I do think the reefs are suffering but I'm more liking believe its due to things like over fishing and water polution then global warming.
And this.

xxmoorishmanxx said:
i am not a believer in global warming (in the sense that it is from green house gasses via industry cars ect..) personally from what i have seen global warming is a natrual event that happens, along with global cooling. anyway nature finds a way to adapt i also believe the reefs will also adapt.

You are right.

It is a natural occurence that has happened many times in the earths history.

HOWEVER.

It was a rather slow change, And animals were able to adapt in order to survive it.

What we are doing is HASTENING the effects, Speeding up the cycle so to speak. The natural systems in place can not adapt fast enough to the increasing changes and thus ecological damage occurs.

A cycle which could take thousands, if not tens of thousands of years to finish, is being hastened to just a few hundred years or so. And life just can not adapt to that speed. Humans can via technology, but Humans can not survive in this world if everything else dies.

HOWEVER.

It was a rather slow change, And animals were able to adapt in order to survive it.

What we are doing is HASTENING the effects, Speeding up the cycle so to speak. The natural systems in place can not adapt fast enough to the increasing changes and thus ecological damage occurs.
So we know this for sure? Quite a few animals became extinct throughout history. Many of them well before we showed up.
A cycle which could take thousands, if not tens of thousands of years to finish, is being hastened to just a few hundred years or so.
Operative words being "could". So this is the exact same cycle? Do glaciers melt at the same pace? Do plate tectonics evolve at a steady pace? Do the weather patterns remain the same every year? Do the weather patterns remain the same every century?
Do we still have a ozone layer? I thought it was supposed to be gone by now. :|
Show some evidence please, not a theory or model...but some evidence.
Look at the quote above, totally incorrect from even the surface. But people buy this stuff, because it comes from a "study".
I agree, we are hurting the environment, but this ...........political mumbo jumbo, nothing else.IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom