Corn on the grill? (Update)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
In a previous post I had heard someone (can't remember who) say that they cook corn on the cob on the grill. How do you do this? It sounded great so I thought of doing it tomorrow afternoon when we BBQ.

If you don't take of the husk, then what do you do about the "hairs" on the corn? It was said that you basically burn the husk, how long does that take? I'm just trying to figure out when to put on the corn in relation to the steaks.

I am trying to plan an entire meal off of the BBQ. Can anyone suggest another veg that I can cook on the grill? I tried Zuc last weekend, but it's not "in season" yet. I know, how can they be in season. Well, I can tell when they are their best when you grill them and they aren't rubbery. During the winter months, the zuc will be kind of rubbery, not really have any juice to them. But in the middle of the summer, they are soft and juicy after being grilled.

If anyone has any thoughts or knows of anything else to grill, let me know! We are going to be doing ALOT of BBQing this summer. I can't wait till we do Pizza on the grill. I miss doing that.

It's the best. Soak the corn in the husk for 30 min or so. This will keep the husk moist and provide water for team inside the husk.

Pull the silk out through the top.

Place on the grill at low heat or on top rack ( 20 to 30 min should do). Mmm - tasty.

Try grilling a roaster hen on with a beer can (open of course) shoved up ..... 8O . Delicious...

I love BBQd portobello mushrooms - they're a great grilled veggie dish by themselves, but they can also be used as an veggie alternative to hamburger patties.
I like mine brushed with olive oil and crushed rosemary before grilling.

Personaly, I just soak them as was mentioned, then wrap them in foil. cook for 30 min, turn, then 30 more.

My brother-in-law Likes to not use foil at all.

Before days of gas grilles, I feel Old, we used to set them directly on the hot coals.

Enjoy! You'll Love um. :mrgreen:

I love grilled corn. I just pull the husk back (but not off) , take off the "hairs", wrap the corn back up in the husk, wrap in foil, and cook.

Makes your corn taste awesome!

We have one of those itty bitty BBQ grills. Ok, not really itty bitty, but its one that sits about 6 inches from the ground. Perfect for 2 people. So, there's no option of putting it on the top.

So basically I would start the grill, let the coals turn gray, spread them out, and put on the corn. Then after about a half hour, turn the corn, let it go for about 10 minutes, then put on the steaks.

To prepare the corn: Open up the husk, clean the hairs off of the corn, leaving the corn wet. Then push the husk back up, wrap in foil, and it's ready to go.

Do I have that right?

I just can't wait till Watermelon is in season. It's still pretty pink around here.

you know ... you don't even have to soak the corn in its husk. If the husk is thick enought (3-6 leaves already surrounding the corn) you will just have to pop it onto the grill. The moisture from the leaves themselves will add a more natural flavor to the corn. Now if you wanted to flavor the corn with a liqueur then sure. but that can get expensive. You don't need to wrap it in foil. It is an unnecessary step that costs more money then anything.

Oops, forgot to say to soak it in water. I picked up some corn from Wal-Mart (we don't have a small grocery store within 30 miles) and it doesn't look the greatest. I mean, it's not plump and yellow kernals. BUT, it will do. They only have about 4 pieces of husk on them. Is there an advantage of foiling or not foiling? I don't want to burn the corn.

Try grilling a roaster hen on with a beer can (open of course) shoved up ..... . Delicious...
I have heard of doing this. It will definately be something that we try. This is the first spring/summer that we've really gotten into grilling. I plan to try MANY different things. In fact, I just bought a new set of grilling tools and it's so funny because James can't grill to save his life. :D It's quite amusing because normally the "man" does the grilling, not in this house. I am THE grill master. Ok, all I can do is grill steaks, but they are still pretty darn good.

QTOFFER- That sounds awesome! I LOVE mushrooms, especially portabello. This will also be something that we definately try.

Grilling corn is my favorite thng. It was probably my post on the BBQ thread you were thinking about... Maybe :)

Anyway... I just buy it husk and all... Throw it exactly like it is on the grill, rolling it around on the rack every 5 minutes or so. Let the husk get nice and brown, even a little burnt. There is enough moisture already in the corn to essentially steam it on the grill (as mentioned a couple posts back). When it's done, I usually use oven mits to peel back the husks and pull off the silk. Silk comes right off... And adds to the flavor of the corn.

I don't soak it before hand, because this lessens the natural flavor for me... Just my opinion on that part :)

Also... As far as grilling other veggies.. As you menioned, zucs work great. I usually cut them into chunks and skewer them. This makes them crispier. I will grill mushrooms when I grill steak. Just throw the whole mushroom on. I ain't a mushroom guy... Those are for the wifey.

Here is my favorite way to grill corn...
Soak the corn in water as directed here. While the corn is soaking take some soft butter and mix in some freasly minced garlic, fresh lime juice and fresh lome zest, salt, pepper and some cayane pepper powder. Carefully pull back the husks and remove the silk. Brush the ears of corn with the butter mixute and cover back up with the husks. grill for 20-30 minutes and roate often. Carmalizing the corn a little bit will help bring out some sweet flavor. Hmmmm.
As for veggies, I prefer to use a grill basket instead of skewers. take your favorite veggies...onions, peppers, zuccini, mushrroms asparigus and chop them up. Toss with some olive oil, sea salt, pepper and fresh dill. Heat the grill basket and toss in the veggie. You can pretty "stir fry" them until done. Hmmmmm

JG said:
Try grilling a roaster hen on with a beer can (open of course) shoved up ..... 8O . Delicious...

LOL! My dad tried this once. We're sitting in the livingroom, and I see thick clouds of smoke in the backyard. I look out the window, and there's the chicken, perched on its beercan, totally engulfed in flames! :lol: :lol: :lol: I was ROFLMAO!!

That was the best pizza dinner I ever had! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everything sounds delicious! I can't wait to grill tomorrow night. Thanks for everything thoughts. When we make corn, we just boil it in water, I guess that makes it lose alot of it's natural flavoring?

I am another soaker. But i leave the hairs alone. I put them on the outside of a round weber with the coals in the center. In other words, indirect cooking. I don't use a lot of coals. Then the meats get cooked in the center and outside for a combo of direct and indirect cooking. I put the corn on about 15-20 min before the meat.

edit: gee, I never thought of basting the corn in butter and spices. That sounds really good.

ya know, I'm kinda getting hungry now.

well, I think I probably go about 30 to 50 minutes total. Never really timed it. I tend to slow cook the meat, for say, about 2 beers, and the corn is on for 15 or 20 minuts more than that.

TomK2 said:
well, I think I probably go about 30 to 50 minutes total. Never really timed it. I tend to slow cook the meat, for say, about 2 beers, and the corn is on for 15 or 20 minuts more than that.

I'd be careful with the timing of your grilling beer method Tom...could lead to undercooking. :D

I remember watching an old Detective movie once (I forget the name). The star character (a portly gent) had purchased some corn and said: "Anyone who serves corn cut off the cob, or boiled in water should be arrested and charged with a felony."

Based on my experience with grilled corn, he's absolutely right!

You know...walmart sells those chicken beer can holders? lol

I've never done that before, but heard it tastes good.

Also, with the corn, I don't soak, just let it grill for about 30 minutes, turning every 5-10 minutes.

Well, I'm off to start everything for the BBQ tonight. It's weird that it takes all day to prepare for a dinner that lasts 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom