Cost to run a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i was wondering does it cost much to keep the electrical stuff running heater filter lights etc. ever sence i started mine in nov my mom hasnt seen much of s change on the bill i wonder if the sw will show a big change in electrical usage what do you think??

The lighs take up nearly zero, as long as there the standard size, 15w or whatever. As for filter, its like.a fan, not much is used, the bigger the tank, the bigger filter, so id assume ud see change at 75gal or so

i have a 15runnin with 2clf lights aqueon 10 filter topfin 50w heater and a nano with topfin 20hob and aqueon 50w heater and soon 2bulb t5ho fixture you think itd drain alot of energy

i have a 15runnin with 2clf lights aqueon 10 filter topfin 50w heater and a nano with topfin 20hob and aqueon 50w heater and soon 2bulb t5ho fixture you think itd drain alot of energy

Brief math gives me $4.22/mo:

2 15-watt lights @ 12 hours/day * 30 days/mo = 10.8 kWh/mo
1 80GPM filter est. 5W @ 24 hours/day * 30 days/mo = 3.6 kWh
1 50W heater @ 100% capacity 8 hours/day * 30 days/mo = 12 kWh

Total 26.4 kWh/mo @ estimated $0.16/kWh (after taxes/fees) = $4.22/mo.

This assumes:
1) You're running your lights 12 hours/day. If you use fake plants you probably don't need to do this.
2) I totally guessed at how often a heater is actually running and at what capacity.

For a worst case, if you're heater and lights were both on 24/7, you'd be talking $7.87/mo, obviously varying slightly based on how much your electricity actually costs.

Brief math gives me $4.22/mo:

2 15-watt lights @ 12 hours/day * 30 days/mo = 10.8 kWh/mo
1 80GPM filter est. 5W @ 24 hours/day * 30 days/mo = 3.6 kWh
1 50W heater @ 100% capacity 8 hours/day * 30 days/mo = 12 kWh

Total 26.4 kWh/mo @ estimated $0.16/kWh (after taxes/fees) = $4.22/mo.

This assumes:
1) You're running your lights 12 hours/day. If you use fake plants you probably don't need to do this.
2) I totally guessed at how often a heater is actually running and at what capacity.

For a worst case, if you're heater and lights were both on 24/7, you'd be talking $7.87/mo, obviously varying slightly based on how much your electricity actually costs.

WHOA THERE! 12 hours a day? major algae outbreak man, you should only do max8 hours a day, atintic come on an hour before day lights, and an hour after they go off.

WHOA THERE! 12 hours a day? major algae outbreak man, you should only do max8 hours a day, atintic come on an hour before day lights, and an hour after they go off.

Good to know. I had read 8-12 hrs/day if you have real plants, so I was trying to put together a maximum cost based on that.

My lights are on 12 hours a day and I have no algae problems just lucky I guess.... thanks for the table lay out just going to plug in numbers now

Back
Top Bottom