Craigslist 29 gal. adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tankdonovan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Answered an ad on Craigslist three days ago about a 29 gallon complete with stand. It was a little different from most aquarium ads. It was free. I was told it had everything needed. That it was still running and had 2 fish. So, I could not pass it up. I had to agree to take the fish.

When my wife and I got there the owner[teenager] and his dad was bringing the aquarium out of the house. They had just broke it down. When all was loaded I was handed a 6 pack cooler with 2 fish in it. Yea, 2 fish in a 6 pack cooler. Once again, I had to promise to keep the fish and not threw them away.

These 2 fish had been living for several years in a 29 gal tank. A Jack Dempsy about 5 1/2" long and a African Cichid about 4" long. I think it is a Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Chidunga). They both looked healthy with a few nipped fins.

Well, I have the fish back in the 29 gal.[most everything needed to set-up] I`m using Stability to try and ease the set-up. I`ll do water changes every 3 or 4 days. I don`t know what else to do. No store would have taken them not knowing where they came from. So, I guess if they survive for a few weeks, I`ll be able to maybe give them away. Then I can use the tank for smaller fish.

By the way, the tank was nasty, nasty with green algae covered glass. The filter was an AZoo 1000 that looked liked the media had not been changed in months. Left over food all around the top opening and light. How these fish had survived was a mystery. It seems media is no longer made for the AZoo 1000. So it is of no use. For the set-up I`m using a Pengium 150 bio wheel and 2 sponge filters driven by an air pump.

Free tank set-up but I`ll really be working for it.

TankDonovan

It`s been 4 days now and the two fish are still alive. They are eating well and don`t look like they are stressed out. Very, very little aggression. Nothing bad. The ammonia level today showed to be .75ppm. With a trace of nitrite. I do dally water changes of 6 to 8 gals. May go to 2 water changes a day.

TankDonovan

Wow!!! Good luck with this tank and the fish, whatever you decide to do with them. I was on Craigslist last night looking for another small betta tank and that's what I used for the key word: "small fish tank"... Well... One of the "small tank adds had a picture of man's hand holding a glass bowl, like a mini version of goldfish bowl, with little gravel in it and skull ornament. This Huey was calling it "small fish tank". Tho typically pretty tolerant of people's ignorance (I, myself kept a betta in 1.5 gal peace lily vase way back when thinking I was doing the right thing) I felt compelled to reply telling this guy that calling this thing a "fish tank" was very misleading to prospective buyers. Other than that I love Craigslist, and will continue looking for another betta home (no less than 2.5 gal), may end up getting few of those once I have the confidence that I know what I'm doing. I do wish I could -some day-get a nice, big aquarium... but afraid this will never happen so I'll just enjoy reading everyone's posts and the pictures of your tanks, aquascapes, fish and the critters. Have a great day!

Yea, I like Craigslist. I have used it for years to buy and sometimes sell.

The 2 cichlids are still alive but the Jack seems to be having more difficulty. Starting to hide more then all of a sudden he justs starts swimming real fast around the tank. Sometimes hitting the sides or top. Then he settles back down.

The African seems to be handling the set up better. He will actually swim up and greet me when I walk up to the tank.

I leave the lights off most of the time. When I do turn them on it seem like it bothers the Jack for awhile then he is O.K. with it.

TankDonovan

Well, been over a week and the two "odd fellows" are still alive. Ammonia is at 1.5ppm. Nitrite is only/maybe slight. Hard to tell on the matching color scale. Been doing 8 gal. water changes every day.

They both have settled down to their own hiding place. Jack seems to be jumper than the African. So far no sign of disease.

Still trying to figure out what I`ll do with them if they make it. My grandkids are wanting me to keep the African. I am sure he will be alright by himself in the 29 gal after sharing it with the Jack for so long.

TankDonovan

The darting could be caused by benign or actual issues. Some fish are jumpy,so it's good he seems to have settled down.

I also love Craigslist and am an addict for a bargain! Last tank was a 29g Acrylic with 15g sump, LEDs, stand and crates of supplies for $150!

Before that a 55g acrylic with custom stand and basic accessories for $125!

Craigslist is my drug of choice, I can't even imagine buying a retail tank.

It`s a Peacock?

I think I have discovered that the African cichlid is a Aulonocara stuartgranti [Peacock] not a Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Chidunga]. Am I right?

Tank conditions have not changed. But, the two seem to be doing well. They eat very well. I make sure they eat what I put in the tank because rotting food will not help at all.

TankDonovan

Attachments

• IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 89
Nice work, but I would have ran both filters at the same time. This way you still have some of your bb to help seed the new filter and just because they don't make media doesn't mean you can't use your own. And why would you change your filter media? I haven't had to change one of my ac hob sponges yet. And I've only added to my ehiem canister. Everyone says to wait until its falling apart but honestly I've never had one that bad.

When you moved the tank did you keep the filter media wet? And you might need to do water changes everyother day if the cycle is starting from scratch. Just keep an eye on your water parameters.
Best bet rehome the fish and start a fishless cycle and stock properly but those fish do not belong in a 29 more like a 55 atleast.

Nice work, but I would have ran both filters at the same time. This way you still have some of your bb to help seed the new filter and just because they don't make media doesn't mean you can't use your own. And why would you change your filter media? I haven't had to change one of my ac hob sponges yet. And I've only added to my ehiem canister. Everyone says to wait until its falling apart but honestly I've never had one that bad.

When you moved the tank did you keep the filter media wet? And you might need to do water changes everyother day if the cycle is starting from scratch. Just keep an eye on your water parameters.
Best bet rehome the fish and start a fishless cycle and stock properly but those fish do not belong in a 29 more like a 55 atleast.

When my wife and I got to the home to pick up the 29 gal. it was already broken down. They were bringing it and stand out to the driveway. They loaded it up for us.

The filter media was in a sack with 2 or 3 plastic plants and 3 or 4 rocks. Also, a bottle of CichlidCode. In another sack was the filter, air pump, air bar and air line. The blue gravel in the tank was wet.

It was in the low 40`s outside and near dark. I was 27 miles from home and it was about a forty minute drive. I had decided that any bacteria was already dead. I put the two fish in a ten gallon for the night. Next day I cleaned and set up the 29.

I tried to use the filter that came with the tank. It was so nasty that it would not run. So I cleaned it. I tried to rinse out the media but it was still dirty and the water ran around and over it. And the noise was really bad.

I know the 29 is too small for the fish and I hope to re-home them at some point.

If I had it all to do over I would have done it different. You know "Hind Site Is 20/20"

TankDonovan

It has been over two weeks now since I set the 29 gal. back up with the two cichlids. They are still alive and have not gotten sick yet. So, maybe, they will make it. The ammonia is still high. I hope it peeks soon.

The Peacock has been digging a hole in the gravel all the way to the glass. And the Jack wants to claim it. Been some fights over the spot. What could be going on?

TankDonovan

Your fish are probably having territorial issues. You can try adding more decor. It will act as a sight breaker and give them time the rest. But with the tank only being 29g that might not be enough. Also you should try and see if any lfs near you will donate some seeded media for your filter to help your cycle along.

Part of my problem may be over soon. A LFS is going to take the Jack today or tomorrow. Then cycling the tank and deciding what I`m going to do with the peacock will my main concern.

I have tried to help the cycle along by using Seachem`s Stability and bacteria from my other 29 gal. tank that has been running for about 13 months. But, sometimes the cycle just has to run it`s course.

TankDonovan

Jack is gone!

A LFS has taken the Jack Dempsey. The peacock is enjoying the tank all by himself.

The ammonia levels are starting to drop and the nitrite levels are starting to go up. The Peacock`s colors seem to be getting brighter.

I guess I should give the LFS the peacock but I am getting attached to him. Would really like to keep him but I know he needs a larger tank. My next tank is/was a 15 gal. planted tank. Then this free 29 gal. came into the picture. Not really all that free. Had to buy a new heater Friday night. Plus, I can`t find media for the filter that came with it.

TankDonovan

You can use other media for the filter, it doesnt need to be especially for the filter.

You can use other media for the filter, it doesnt need to be especially for the filter.

I understand in most filters you can use other filter media. But, this one is a little different. At present I have it on the 29 along with a Penguin 150B. It has an adjustable flow rate. The old filters are so used up I have to adjust the flow rate to about half or it will overflow at the intake. I have found some photos on the net of the filter and media. The media is 5" tall by 3 3/16" at the top tapering down to 2 14/16" at the bottom. It uses two cartridges in the middle of the filter. Water is channeled between both cartridges, one out to the front and the other to the back and then around the side to the front. Black sponges are placed in the front and side for the bio load.

TankDonovan

Attachments

• AZoo Filter.jpg
    AZoo Filter.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Azoo Filter 2.jpg
    Azoo Filter 2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 53
It has been 4 weeks now and the tank has cycled.

The Jack Dempsey is at a LFS in quarantine. The Blue Peacock is doing just great. My wife has named him Elvis! I have decided that I will keep him. Hopefully I can get him a larger tank in the future. 75 maybe?

TankDonovan

Back
Top Bottom