craigslist bad finds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just found this one, look they have rare Bronze Cory and Albino BN...

CL >denver >all community >pets

contact x prohibited[?] Posted: 5 days ago

Rare freshwater pleco and fish (golden/foothills/lakewood)

I am moving out of state. So I am clearing out my tanks and fish. Tank has been running for a couple years very well maintained. Here is what I have.

3 Lemon tetras- $10.00
1 bronze Cory cat-$10.00
1 Roseline shark-$20.00
5 white tipped ornadonis tetras-$20.00
3 congo tetras-$10.00
5 neon tetra-free w any other purchase
3 ghost shrimp-free w any other purchase
2 Angelicous Loaches-$25.00 each
10 kuli loaches-$20.00

PLECOS
1 albino sailfin bristle nose pleco-male-$20.00
1 albino bristle nose pleco-female-$20.00
Both for $30.00
2 L240 vampire galaxy plecos-$100.00 each/ $150.00 for both

THE GEM OF THE TANK
1 L046 zebra pleco-$400.00

Also selling 50 gallon tank w lid, lights, filter, heater, gravel and a **** ton of rocks and plants for aquarium and tunnels-$150.00

Will sale everything for $500

Give me a call...Jim xxx-xxxx

Well it doesnt say theyre in the 50g

Not Craigslist but pretty bad..

image-421933937.jpg

I think I'd opt for a third goldfish .... Mmmmnoppe

I've always hated seeing people with bettas in those small *** "betta bowls" with no filtration and heat

It really just irritates me when people go by a stereotypical view on these fish.

I've always hated seeing people with bettas in those small *** "betta bowls" with no filtration and heat

It really just irritates me when people go by a stereotypical view on these fish.

Can I ask, What's the difference between keeping a Betta in a 2 gal, heated, filtered fish tank and keeping one in a 2 gal unheated, unfiltered bowl that is in a climate controlled room and gets daily water changes? Can you see which scenario is taking place in a picture?

I just noticed in that picture that there seems to be either an easy way to am change water or a type of air circulator. There is a water spout dripping water at the top.

That's a different story, I'm talking about the teeny tiny bowls, similar size to the containers they're sold in at petco and petsmart

Or when people put them in old vodka bottles and skinny vases especially when they cram some rocks and plants and decor in it... I see people with betta's up on Craigslist like this all the time.

Take this dude on offer up for example ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394728902.236455.jpg

Honestly if I had the money id get him myself and supply him with how own free range tank, but unfortunately I don't I can just sit and hope he goes to a good home

That's a different story, I'm talking about the teeny tiny bowls, similar size to the containers they're sold in at petco and petsmart

Or when people put them in old vodka bottles and skinny vases especially when they cram some rocks and plants and decor in it... I see people with betta's up on Craigslist like this all the time.

Take this dude on offer up for example View attachment 227772

Honestly if I had the money id get him myself and supply him with how own free range tank, but unfortunately I don't I can just sit and hope he goes to a good home

I think you used the word "Sterotypical" in a wrong way then. People, "sterotypically" don't understand the difference between the common "everyday" fish and those of the labrynth family. You see, labrynth fish developed in stagnant, skanky waters and are not only capable of living in it, but have developed the ability to live in spite of it and naturally prefer it in the wild to breed in. In fact, Labrynth fish rarely, if ever, use the oxygen in the water you keep them in. They breath the same air as you do. You will drown a betta if you put it in a container that has no airspace. That wouldn't happen if they used the oxygen in the water. Taking another example, when breeding Bettas, moving water ( something you need to do to oxygenate it) kills Betta fry. How can that be if they need the oxygen on the water?
Now I'm not saying that all Bettas in bowls or jars are being kept in a humane manner. It's all situational. But the volume of water needed to house them has been greatly debated for decades if not longer and no concrete answer has ever been agreed upon as both cases have had successes and failures making neither one solely right or solely wrong. The set up in your pic has nothing wrong with it as Bettas are not the typical free swimming, give me some elbow room to swim, kind of fish. By nature, a Betta splenden is a shy retiring fish so the more cover in the tank, the better they psychologically feel. In fact, many, when they put their Bettas into open filtered tanks, find their fish do more poorly than when they were in a bowl or just in a non moving volume of water with lots of decor. Is this typical of all Bettas? NO! But it does happen and it happens frequently so there is no correct stereotype for incorrectly housing a Betta. Mine, for example, are in bowls. They've lived in them for YEARS. So did their parents and grandparents. If this was wrong, they would not have reproduced. :nono:

But this thread is about bad finds on craigslist so let's get back to that without the commentary. ;) Did anyone see the one where somebody wanted some huge amount of money for a 10 gal tank just because............ :lol: (y)

I think you used the word "Sterotypical" in a wrong way then. People, "sterotypically" don't understand the difference between the common "everyday" fish and those of the labrynth family. You see, labrynth fish developed in stagnant, skanky waters and are not only capable of living in it, but have developed the ability to live in spite of it and naturally prefer it in the wild to breed in. In fact, Labrynth fish rarely, if ever, use the oxygen in the water you keep them in. They breath the same air as you do. You will drown a betta if you put it in a container that has no airspace. That wouldn't happen if they used the oxygen in the water. Taking another example, when breeding Bettas, moving water ( something you need to do to oxygenate it) kills Betta fry. How can that be if they need the oxygen on the water?
Now I'm not saying that all Bettas in bowls or jars are being kept in a humane manner. It's all situational. But the volume of water needed to house them has been greatly debated for decades if not longer and no concrete answer has ever been agreed upon as both cases have had successes and failures making neither one solely right or solely wrong. The set up in your pic has nothing wrong with it as Bettas are not the typical free swimming, give me some elbow room to swim, kind of fish. By nature, a Betta splenden is a shy retiring fish so the more cover in the tank, the better they psychologically feel. In fact, many, when they put their Bettas into open filtered tanks, find their fish do more poorly than when they were in a bowl or just in a non moving volume of water with lots of decor. Is this typical of all Bettas? NO! But it does happen and it happens frequently so there is no correct stereotype for incorrectly housing a Betta. Mine, for example, are in bowls. They've lived in them for YEARS. So did their parents and grandparents. If this was wrong, they would not have reproduced. :nono:

But this thread is about bad finds on craigslist so let's get back to that without the commentary. ;) Did anyone see the one where somebody wanted some huge amount of money for a 10 gal tank just because............ :lol: (y)

It's just a personal opinion of mine that bettas do Better in a 2.5+ filtered/heated tank I've been housing bettas sense I was 5 and now I'll be 17 in one month exactly. Up till I was 10 I alway kept bettas in those tiny tanks betta kits and bowls, cleaned their water every few days and what not, never over GED my fish... But they always seemed to dye (possibly do to stress from cleaning so much and not having much room to swim) as I'm older I've been using 10 gallons and my fish have been living a lot longer and happier... But again it's just a personal opinion..

And about that 10 gallon for a high price question haha, I saw awhile ago a guy who wanted $130 for his brand new 10 gallon with a hood and filter....just like the 10 gallon kits at Walmart and petsmart for $30-$40

It's just a personal opinion of mine that bettas do Better in a 2.5+ filtered/heated tank I've been housing bettas sense I was 5 and now I'll be 17 in one month exactly. Up till I was 10 I alway kept bettas in those tiny tanks betta kits and bowls, cleaned their water every few days and what not, never over GED my fish... But they always seemed to dye (possibly do to stress from cleaning so much and not having much room to swim) as I'm older I've been using 10 gallons and my fish have been living a lot longer and happier... But again it's just a personal opinion..

And about that 10 gallon for a high price question haha, I saw awhile ago a guy who wanted $130 for his brand new 10 gallon with a hood and filter....just like the 10 gallon kits at Walmart and petsmart for $30-$40

Thanks for the clarification. Just so you all know, I started keeping and breeding Bettas when I was 8. I am now 56. You can do the math :whistle::lol: ( I got you by a couple of years :brows::lol:) I can tell you that the reason your Bettas in bowls didn't live long enough was because they were not being maintained properly. You can argue that point but the proof is that yours died :( Keeping them the same way in a tank as you did in a bowl would not have guaranteed their survival either. Mine have always lived in bowls. I was even a commercial breeder of Bettas and they were healthy, beautiful and in bowls. So there you have it, 2 sides of a coin that both were successful. (y)

As for the tanks for sale, I do see some doozies. :facepalm: Maybe we need to start a society of people who want to help explain to these people why their set ups are so incorrect and that may be why they are not having success and giving up their tanks? Just a thought (y)

Does anyone remember the old post on the good Craigslist ads, when a lady posted a price guide? Like used tanks worth 0.5$ per gallon. She went through most parts of the aquarium and said the prices.

Does anyone remember the old post on the good Craigslist ads, when a lady posted a price guide? Like used tanks worth 0.5$ per gallon. She went through most parts of the aquarium and said the prices.

It's in the articles. Used tank buying guide.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom