Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #421
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/4619229230.html

What do you think? Im goin to check it out today. Im a little worried about everything working though. Its been 3.5 years since its been set up, the current seller bought the tank used even earlier. and they dont know if they even have everything there to make it work. Any advice? Also, what are the cylinders in the center of the picture?

Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #422
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post
Salt water aquarium and supplies

What do you think? Im goin to check it out today. Im a little worried about everything working though. Its been 3.5 years since its been set up, the current seller bought the tank used even earlier. and they dont know if they even have everything there to make it work. Any advice? Also, what are the cylinders in the center of the picture?
I am still learning about SW but it looks like a phosphate reactor. Why not, it is always a gamble if you will be filling up the trash can with old chemicals and broken things. Though some people are pretty resourceful with fixing stuff.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #423
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well worst case the actual tank can always be resealed if needed and lightbulbs replaced - so overall think about each part separately too. Even if you have to replace a few of the parts you might still be ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #424
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Craigslist Good Finds

Just checked it out, almost everything is super old and i couldnt find half the parts for the equipment, so i passed on it. Could've been a good deal though if it had everything!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #425
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are in the Chicago area. FREE
Free fish equipment for very serious home hobbyist
Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #426
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Free oscar cichlid

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409607222.325960.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	248738

I have a free oscar I'm looking to rehome. He is 2 & 1/2 years old. He is healthy and comes from a clean tank.

He is fully grown and is about 9 inches long. He will need at least a 70 gallon tank. I will not give him to someone with an overstocked or small aquarium.

He gets along with smaller fish but can eat fish he can fit into his mouth.
You will need to bring a large bucket to place him in and he will come with a almost full can of food for him.

Text show contact info or call and leave a vm.

Fishobsessed7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #427
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Before you get a Goldfish

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map) (yahoo map)

Please, please do research, I am tired of seeing people selling these beautiful fish in horrible conditions. Why am I saying this? Media has ruined what we know about goldfish by showing them in bowls, with out filters, and without much of anything that they truly need. Goldfish are hardy fish, because they were bred to be pond fish, much like a koi fish. But other than that, they're just like your normal Freshwater cichlids. Why do I say that? Because well, goldfish are not SMALL throw away pets.
The largest goldfish, might I add that it is a fancy, is 14 inches! Comet's don't stay your small sparkling swimmers either though, as they can get just as big!
Let's think about the sizing of that.
Normally, a 14 inch fish just needs a 55-75+ tank, but we're not talking about a normal fish.
Goldfish produce more waste than any other fish, why is this? Because, goldfish don't have stomachs, or from what I've gathered, what comes in, must come out, and without a stomach to digest, of course, they digest it somehow, but it comes out quicker than most.

Okay, so we know that goldfish create a lot of ammonia now, and we know they need at least 20 gallons to start with, so..
People with goldfish in bowls, and in ten gallons with more than one goldfish are now probably ranting and raving that 'well my goldfish is perfectly fine and this is how I've kept goldfish all my life'.
Break the habit, please.

Your goldfish may appear to be fine, but they ARE stunted, and they will slowly die, a fish does not GROW to it's environment, it becomes stunted when your tank's size does not adjust to the fish.
Your fish doesn't grow, but it's insides have no problem doing so, causing a slow and painful death for your wet pet.

So, what do you care, it's 'just a goldfish' you can 'just replace it'.

Goldfish are sociable creatures, they're just as smart as your average house pet, in fact there have been a lot of cases where goldfish have been taught neat tricks. This obviously breaks the 'goldfish only have a 3 second memory' as fish can do these tricks, over, and over, with out having to relearn the methods of doing said trick.

Would you now say, goldfish are just a fish? That you can just replace them?

Is that small vase with no air pump, no filtration really a good home, or are you going to actually listen..?

Goldfish need 20+ gallons for your first fish, after that the rule of thumb to follow is add 15 gallons for every other goldfish you add. But of course, that's just the rule of thumb, and it also depends on what goldfish you're planning on keeping.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

Fishobsessed7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #428
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow I'm just in shock

Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #429
Aquarium Advice Addict

I scored an awesome deal off CL yesterday. I had to drive 1.5 hrs but for $7 I got 7 assorted rainbow fish, 3 female bettas and a 10 in common pleco. I wanted rainbows for awhile now and I needed the female bettas to try my hand at breeding. The pleco, well he's just really cool. All fish were healthy and the seller was knowledgeable and really nice.

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #430
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow that's an awesome deal!!

(If only gas was free)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com