Crazy Corys Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just as a possible way/place to escape a crazy out burst.

They are able to live in rice paddie puddles, lol so it is logical they could squeeze sideways.

Someone here recently had one kill off the other fish in the tank in a couple days, after being a nice community Betta for months. My ADF lived peace-ably with him for months and then, bam! :eek:crazy maniacidal (and yeah, I just kinda made that word up) murderer.

I have a nice one that lives in a tank with lots of other fish. He used to swim along with a bunch of Fire Tail Red guppy males like they were all the same. And another which hates snails even. Finally he has snails now but doesn't like them and head butts them.

Mine likes mystery snails but kills nerites and well ate almost all my shrimp in less then an hour :(

I swear one of my Corys sneezed one time! I was watching them and all of a sudden one of them opened him mouth really wide for a brief moment and then his barbels flared forward as his mouth closed again. It was hilarious! I have never seen them do that again.

Another funny thing, when I got my cories, a friend told me they would eat algae....well I don't know about other cories but mine don't. In fact, I have a stump decoration that the top is covered in algae and I can't bring myself to clean it because it's my cories FAVORITE hang out spot. They love to sleep on it. I guess because it's nice and soft? ;D They never liked it that much before the algae.

I love my Coriy Cats and I often refer to them as my kittens. XD

Puppies or kittens?

I love my Coriy Cats and I often refer to them as my kittens. XD

LOL, I call mine puppies because they bumble and stumble around so much. I just put Angelfish in with mine and they are so graceful and elegant, and are just horrified when one of the cories crashes into them.

Attachments

• IMG_2134.jpg
    IMG_2134.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2136.jpg
    IMG_2136.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1886.jpg
    IMG_1886.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 61
LOL, I call mine puppies because they bumble and stumble around so much. I just put Angelfish in with mine and they are so graceful and elegant, and are just horrified when one of the cories crashes into them.

That is funny!

What is the type or name for the kind of Angels you have? They are so beautiful? And really show up nicely in your very pretty planted tank! :)

Angelfish

That is funny!

What is the type or name for the kind of Angels you have? They are so beautiful? And really show up nicely in your very pretty planted tank! :)

Thank you very much.:angel:

The LFS kid referred to them as "Mutts"... :eek: However one is an albino with a bluish tint, one is a veiltail gold, and one is a veiltail with stripes and some bluish color. Beyond that... I have really enjoyed them. Unfortunately, it has been pointed out to me that a 46 gallon tank is not really large enough for Angelfish.:banghead::nono::oops:

So, someday soon they will be rehomed. :(

Everybody on an extended vacation???

Missing this thread, lol.

Thinking of getting 3 Orange Laser Cories. To go with this guy
60074-albums9317-picture52576.jpg

Just waiting to see if it is the more albino colored one like the pic above or the more dark bodied one like a bronze or green Cory.

Found one of my recently acquired false juliis wedged behind the corner filter upside down. No idea how he got that way. I understand the wedging, just not the upside down part!

I'm trying to get mine to spawn. It looks like I have 2 males and 1 female, and one of the males is getting too old for this crap. The female is younger than my males so she's a little hardheaded.

how to breed cories:
1. well fed. use brine shrimp or tubifix worms a week before breeding.
2. drop the temp I usually have it around 78-82F but I drop it down to 76-78F.
3. use razor blade to remove eggs from glass and put them in a container like this:

add airstone and do 20-50% water changes with main tank water for 2 times a day.
anywhere btw 2-7 days(depending on species) you should see hatchlings:

I separate the hatchlings into a tuber ware I have in the main:

this is so I don't have to worry about food partials with the eggs and getting them dirty which this can cause them to grow fungus. then I put an air stone in the tuber ware and clean it after feedings. when they get this big:

I just use a regular plastic not net breeders pin for them till they get this big or a bit smaller then I put them in my 10g with neons and fancy guppies:

about a week to 3 they go into my 40g(main tank) and about a week after they go to lfs for a new home. currently have a batch of emerald corys, albino corys, and panda corys. first batch for pandas so only have 5 and small amount of albinos this time lost count of which batch it is and a good size of batch for emeralds lost track of which batch too. I love this thread and will post stories of mystery cory findings soon after I read the rest of the stories. XD

I'm trying to figure out if they are any males in the group. You think they know who's who? I have one potential female (very big around the belly), and then the other one.. not sure if it's a female or a male. Do females court other females at all? The only thing I can think of is that the newest one is male, and that's why they freaked out so much when they saw each other, but i have NO clue... Their fins all look pretty "female" so hard to tell :/
male:

female:

together:

Mine actually stay clear.. its seems like they watch me n are telling my gourami shes gonna get you , you better back up.. lol does any of yalls other fosh hang around with the cories every fish we add tobour tank thinks they are cories even our new angels.. its funny to see them n my gourami sifting through the sand with my cories and otos.. even my otos are acting like cories they used to only stay on plants or glass now they are all over...
I have a blue female and male gourami and just recently I have spotted my female dipping her body towards the foreground to peak at algae wafers its so weird.

this is my tanks(pics of 10g with no hood aren't updated to include pandas and added décor wont happen till I get laptop fixed)
40g:

1 recently added blue betta as of today, breeding pair of blue gouramis, 3 white cloud skirt tetras(painted tetra) one was a rescue and it has dye blue strip on its back not my doing, 2 golden otocinclus 1 male and female, 2 golden dojo weather loaches, 2 normal colored dojo weather loaches, 3 leopard cories 1 male 2 females, 3 albino cories 1 male 2 females, first emerald offspring named hope, and 1 batch of emerald, albino, and panda corys in their safty containers XD. with 3 danio fry and 5-8 fancy guppy fry.
30g: naturally dark do to lighting

about 10 zebra danios, about 10 wild caught mosquiro fish, 1 tiger barb, and 4 emerald corys 2 males and 2 females.
10g with hood:

(old pic ignore the corys in this pic they have since been rehoused)
4 neon tetras, 1 male(second male offspring from my main cassanova) and 2 pretty ladies they just got together after first male offspring died idk why, and I don't know how many cory fry I put in but its just temporally and I've done it for 6 months now.

10g tank no hood: updates needed and soon to come

I have added more foreground fake plants in one side and a cave for the pandas going to add sand to one side for them soon. 1 male fancy with 3 girls (lucky guy), 1 Dalmatian Mollie im going to return to lfs was asked to raise it, 2 baby mosquito fish I will give to lfs or keep, 1 black Mollie that is the runt and no matter what it eats but hasn't grown much and I've never had an issue with my fish not growing ill show a pic of my big boy loach to prove that XD. 5 panda corys and 1 skunk cory. with a 1-2 week old panda fry.
that pretty much sums it up 40g 2years with 1 complete break down, 30g almost a year, 10g hood ive had since I was 7(going on 20)but its been on and off again of it running so in this cycle almost a year and 10g no hood 3 months ish. never had any issues with ick or disease just old age. all but 10g with no hood has biomed in it which it is the best and also had a complete teardown of 10g no hood. forgot to menschen I have snails in all some get big other escargot XD.

Last edited:
So you have a Betta in with 2 Gouramis ? Please keep an eye out. That's usually a bad mix. A 40g is decent size, but both species are territorial and like same real estate.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so far the betta keeps to himself. I think its cause the gouramis are huge and they really keep to themselves. besides I don't have both the male and female together all the time. since they are known to fight and they like to play rough. so I separate them too cool them down and then I bring them together and they only stay together if they play nice. if not then separated again. the only time they cared about him was the first day since he came when they had the little eggs to care for. which I moved everyone at the top level even him so I can scoop up the little ones and move them so dad could chill. which all that happened was a little chasing by dad not as bad as the tetra he honed in which is why I separated the top level XD. I didn't allow it to go on forever it wasn't even a min. and so that could be why the betta gives them space since in my tank they are the king and queen and they let him know XD. of the top level at least. the gourami eggs hatched and time will tell if this will be a full success story and the panda cory fry are doing good too and growing fast I have 5 little emeralds in the 40g growing big and ready to go after another week passes. the rest are still growing so they are staying put.

After losing all my Cories in a tank crash...very sad time, my DD was given some fish and 2 are Bronze Cories. They are in QT now but seeing them traveling all over the place makes me remember distinctly how much I have missed them in my tanks.

The biggest loss was my favorite Orange Laser Cory, the ones I had before which were 5 baby Laser Cories didn't make it out of QT.

Really missing them all.

It has been a couple months now with none. These new ones are all over the place and having so much fun.

I am in the middle of rebuilding a new stock plan for the 72G which will house all my Community fish. I keep trying to get a big bunch of Dwarf Cories locally and having a difficult time finding them and then having them be affordable if I do find them.

haven't been able to get on having my computer in the shop and then not having the heart to say anything. first I lose a leopard cory then I lost a dojo weather loach and then another leopard cory. don't know exactly all I know is that they didn't get attacked. so I have gotten 2 new leopards and 1 new dojo they are all ok. I have also found out that one of my cory emerald fry that grew up and is about 3 months is swimming weird due to only having one anal fin instead of 2. when it gets bigger im going to see if I can manufacture an artificial fin so it can swim properly instead of circles. and if you think I should've given it to a fish to eat it then I would say I was not aware of its condition till I went from 100+ corys to 30 and I don't have the heart to kill him its just like dolphin tales the movie except its not his tale fin just anal which helps stability.

Back
Top Bottom