Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #211
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine don't get hyped up.....but they refuse to get out of the way, which is problematic in itself haha. Like they're saying nope just go around me buster

Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #212
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine get hyped up and repeatedly run into the vac. Like they didn't learn the first time I sucked one up?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #213

Mine actually stay clear.. its seems like they watch me n are telling my gourami shes gonna get you , you better back up.. lol does any of yalls other fosh hang around with the cories every fish we add tobour tank thinks they are cories even our new angels.. its funny to see them n my gourami sifting through the sand with my cories and otos.. even my otos are acting like cories they used to only stay on plants or glass now they are all over...
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #214
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjacks View Post
Mine actually stay clear.. its seems like they watch me n are telling my gourami shes gonna get you , you better back up.. lol does any of yalls other fosh hang around with the cories every fish we add tobour tank thinks they are cories even our new angels.. its funny to see them n my gourami sifting through the sand with my cories and otos.. even my otos are acting like cories they used to only stay on plants or glass now they are all over...
Haha, yeah my rummynose tetras think the are part of the Cory gang sometimes!! Very funny, the cory's move so fast there are some colisions with confused looking tetra!!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #215
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have just introduced a couple of peppered Cory to my tank, it has sterbai's and they are all swimming together as I'd hoped!! It's like they are doing a mexican wave type thing...the one at the back moves up and takes the front position and continues like that, very beautiful to watch...
I am now sure I want a couple of albino's (hope they join in with the gang) saw them in lfs today but they were missing berbells?? Would they grow back in better conditions do you think?? Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #216
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
Have just introduced a couple of peppered Cory to my tank, it has sterbai's and they are all swimming together as I'd hoped!! It's like they are doing a mexican wave type thing...the one at the back moves up and takes the front position and continues like that, very beautiful to watch...
I am now sure I want a couple of albino's (hope they join in with the gang) saw them in lfs today but they were missing berbells?? Would they grow back in better conditions do you think?? Thanks
Sometimes they can grow back barbels. It just depends how much they've lost and many will recover. But missing Barbels may be a sign of poor health. They tend to lose them from infection from dirty conditions. They may have come in that way ?

I would quarantine them before adding them.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #217
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGal View Post
Anybody else's Cory cats get super hyped up and on a major espresso rush when they gravel vac? It drives me nuts. Always straight at my vac.
LOL All of my fish get "excited" with the siphon. They can see pieces of food and shell in the tube and they try to get at it!
I accidentally sucked up one of my corydoras once, but they swam out pretty fast - It scared me almost to death aha!

I'm pretty happy today, though... I was finally able to see if my cory's are male or female. Tip I learned; they need to be doing something where their fins can be splayed or open all the way, like eating. The one that I thought was female (because of being heavily gravid), was correct. But now it seems as I have 3 males! I read that more males to females is best for fertility, would anyone say 3 males to 1 female is too many? I'm afraid of overloading the tank if I get anymore!

Also, I want to try eventually switching from gravel to sand... anyone know if this can this be done with the fish in it? And can I use play sand? One of the corys I've recently bought looks to have either underdeveloped or damaged barbels... although the other ones haven't had any issues with the gravel, I'm still worried about it. Any advice?

Thanks! Love these little guys!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #218
Aquarium Advice Addict

My DG tries to school with them when he isn't trying to be Hitler. He goes way too slow for them and finally gives up. It's quite comical.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #219
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good News / Bad News

The bad: due to a bad set of circumstances and an opportunity, (strange, I know), today I am rehoming all of my beloved Cories. That includes my five 5-year olds, several juveniles, and some babies.

The Good, part 1: they are going to a good, experienced home in a planted 90 gallon tank.

The good, part 2: I am expecting a shipment of 10 Pygmy Cories this week. I have always wanted some and couldn't locate any locally. This is my first online purchase of fish. The timing of this purchase turned out to be unfortunate, due to issues with my 20…but do-able.

The good, part 3: I will have albino cories again in the near future. They are my favorites.

First I have to build a stand for my 36, break it down, move it, change the substrate, and set it up again…praying for only a slight mini-cycle. Then I have to re-setup the 20 gallon on the stand the 36 had been on, cycle IT and then I could get albino cories again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4049031348.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	160801  
Magicmarymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteridea View Post

Also, I want to try eventually switching from gravel to sand... anyone know if this can this be done with the fish in it? And can I use play sand? One of the corys I've recently bought looks to have either underdeveloped or damaged barbels... although the other ones haven't had any issues with the gravel, I'm still worried about it. Any advice?

Thanks! Love these little guys!
It can be done and you can find a how to video on youtube

Tags
cory, corys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com