Crazy Corys Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To breed, I'd try peppereds first I hear they are easy. Make sure you get both sexes- females are chubbier and pinkish. Feed live or frozen for a few weeks then do water changes in a breeding tank with no other fish. The water should be cooler to simulate rain. Let them lay eggs then pull the parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Question will Cory's from Walmart school together if there different types and will they cross breed

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ideally get the same type. Many Cories will breed in tanks, esp planted tanks. But Cories and the other fish will eat the eggs.

If you want to breed Cories, Planet Catfish has a ton of info. Plus many AA members have had Cories breed and have saved a few eggs.

Most won't cross, and you don't want them to. Mutt fish should never be sold as it can really screw up someone down the line trying to breed a species.

For serious breeding , you need a separate tank for spawning. Once they lay eggs...you pull adults out.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

OK just trying to get more info from people that have experience with them

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fun fact of the day: did you know... Cories have venom. Some will cause more of a reaction than others.

These fish are incredibly docile, very peaceful and are a wonderfully easy fish to own. However it is a remarkably little known fact that Corydoras species have a very sharp barb just under each eye, one in the adipose fin, and a large one in the front of their dorsal fin.
The fish uses these barbs to protect itself from being swallowed by a larger fish. Therefore when using a net to catch these fish, be prepared for the Cory to become caught up in the mesh of the net. Also, ensure you don't try to catch this fish in your hand!

Use a cup if possible or a plastic mesh net to catch Catfish.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew that the big catfish we catch at Lake Powell and the like had barbs that will sting you, so I guess it stands to reason that these little guys are the same way.

I loved reading this thread. :D Thanks, Autumn, it's nice to know there are others who enjoy the corys as well!!! I wandered into my LFS which is a PetSmart, and they had three of the little guys just sitting there. They happened to be on sale. When I asked the associate, she said they'd been there for awhile. I felt bad, so I took them home with me along with a DG. :) They are now in my 55g with the two larger green corys. I'm wondering if i need to "plant" it a little more with decor as there is a decent amount of open space. I'm also debating moving my gbr from the 38g into the angel tank with a friend when I buy one... don't know... she just doesn't seem to be fitting in well and I feel bad for her. I'll have to do some more research to see what she likes best.

I'm hoping my corys in that 55g stop pouting. I figured 5 was a good start, but I may need to add more here soon if they don't quit. LOL There are two gourami, 6 angels and a pleco in there too... Maybe they need more air... but with the play sand, I'm not so sure of that either.

They should like the play sand, you could always add a little sugar (fine) type sand in a center area where you plan to feed above. They might like rooting around in the soft sand. They come from areas of silty sand. There are a few you tube videos of filming underwater where the Cories come from and live. Excellent to know your species habitat better.

This was one of my favorite fun threads.

Back
Top Bottom