Crazy Corys Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if this is true but my lfs guy said the Bronze Cories are also referred to as Green Cories, and that the Albino is Albino Bronze Cory. I haven't ever verified the info. He is usually pretty good about lots of things, but I found him to be dumb on a couple things, so always like to verify stuff LOL.

I believe the Emerald Green Cory is a different species (Brochis). Most Albino Cories are Bronze Cory (Aneus), but Albinos can happen in all species. Just to confuse us all further some people refer to the Bronze as Green. Sigh.

Great Question!

Emerald Green Cory Cat (Brochis splendens)
(Albino) Aeneus Cory Cat (Corydoras aeneus)

Thanks yall for tryin...lol i bought these at our local big chain store and it said green cories but they look so different then the ones i first got from the same store.. i know they had emerald cories at one time n i saw how big they got as they had an adult in a tank . I was gonna return them if they were the emerald .. from what i have researched yall are correct bronze cories are also green cories and albinos can be from bronze cories or anyother ones also.. then the emerald is a bigger version basically of the cories ..
Clearance:
Nope no petting for this ole girl.. i used to actually pet my betta . I dont like fingerprints on my tank so i constantly clean it with a wet towel or papertowel (no cleaner just usually water) the hubby will put his hands on the tank while he looks..

I do have a crazy ish story too .. when I purchased the new cories yesterday they were layin in a pile in the far corner of the tank .. as soon as the woman handed me the bag i placed them on top of my arm laid down so they could move more if they wanted n the party started.. lol they were swimming back n forth n the bag n one was cuttin flips it was fun to watch but felt weird on my arm.. the hubby watched them for a time before we drove home.. once i added them to the tank they went to the other cories like an introduction of sorts then started swimmin up n down side to side by themselves my other cories didnt join in ..

After lots of investigation my new corys are going back bc they are emerald corys also commonly known as green corys just like the bronze corys . Back to square one n now i need more of each that i have..

The first post of this thread was enough for me to subscribe!
When I'm feeling a bit more verbose I'll have to relate my observations made today when my new Brochis splendens met the resident Corydoras ambiacus in my 5-gallon.

I think im gonna keep my new additions anyway as i noticed tonight the bronze n the emeralds are hanging together swimming up n down side to side n doing loops n my tank even one of my albinos joined in some...if they stay together ill definately keep them as that was my goal anyway plus the hubby thinks the emeralds are pretty

Sadly, I must confess. I just joined the lot of you in accidentally sucking up a Cory cat in the gravel vac. Of course, it was Lurch, the blind one. I felt so bad I sucked up the blind fish. (I can tell the two males apart by their tail. Somehow they both have highly unique tears that magically appeared with nothing to tear their tail on. Who knows.) he was spinning around the vacuum like in a tornado! I stopped the siphon and shot him straight into a rock! I coulda cried. Till he went upright in a nanosecond and returned to being a Cory cat. Then it was funny. I'm getting Cory cat voodoo hexed to Cory cat hell for that.

I love this thread!

Go Cories!

Attachments

• image-3009526420.jpg
    image-3009526420.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1326276400.jpg
    image-1326276400.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1914513930.jpg
    image-1914513930.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 96
I totally "pet" my fish. In fact one of my dwarf gouramis and my common pleco will truly let me pet them. The gourami will eat out of my hand and let me touch him with the other. I just discovered that I could touch the pleco. I reached in the tank to push a plant back down but the pleco was laying too close. I touched it's tail to get it to move, but it didn't so I started rubbing it. I made it two full body rubs before it swam away... Weird I know!

I have a new funny Cory story. I have one banded Cory because the LFS only had that one left and I figured it would bond with the others regardless of coloring. It did, but I also have two skunk loaches that are marked and colored the same way. The banded Cory is always trying to get those loaches to play. They of course want NOTHING to do with this foolish Cory Cat behavior. They go under a rock their skinny bodies can fit under but not the chunkier body of the cory. He goes back to the group of Corys and seems to say to them "but they look like me! I just thought they might like to join the fun. :( "

I just got my dainty cories today, and I have them in my qt tank. Since I have no substrate in there, they are zooming back and forth on the bottom, and they look like those speed race ice skaters!
Then all of a sudden they stop.
Blink.
And just lie very still with their gills moving.
Then ZOOM off again in the blink of an eye.
I love them already.

I decided to keep those other "green" cories even though they dont look like the "green" ones i previously bought. I mentioned earlier they were hanging out together so i thought things would work out.. well that was a understatement.. lol

I find myself watchin them alot more bc i will see something out the corner of my eye n when i look its my cories going crazy. They look like they r practicing a swimming number..lol they start on the bottom all separate then swim to the front glass n go in circles then 2 goes out while 2 moves in .. then they start going up and down the front glass together .. then after several minutes they are done n go lay back down ..lol its crazy then alot of the time my 1 albino joins them while the other watches n hamgs with the otos.. my gourami just starrs at them like they are nuts... lol

I'm still entertained by my blind one that discovers there's a wall there when he hits it. He does this a good 20+ times before lying down. You'd think he'd remember he hit something there, but no.

Tonight the kid was wondering what was going on with the crown tail betta flaring on the sand in the corner... across the way there is my big fat green cory just staring at him. It was like watching a kitten fluffed up trying to be all fierce lolol.

New baby!

I didn't have it, but adopted it, for $4.99, lol! It is a orange lazer, I only know this as it is orangish and has a lazer stripe...

1.5 hour away lfs had a bunch of tanks of bunches of cories of all kinds "mixed", any 4.99.

There were soooo many. That was the only one like it in the store though.

There was another couple which had brown circles, not dots, and a tan body never have seen any like it before, looked at all the pics on planet catfish and didn't see it???

They had something else I might want so I may go back and see they are still there. Also one which after looking looked like a Adolphoi which I noticed run $30-50 on line, is that right?

I acclimated him, 1.25 inches, and he's still zipping around but mostly hiding and keeping to himself so far. There bronze/green cories and the Emerald Brochis .....

oh oh, I dropped some wafers a while ago and the new one is over with all of them eating!!!!!!!!!!:dance:

Went for the phone to get a pic and scared them in every direction. :blink: now the little guy is hiding again.

Dropped a couple more wafers! :popcorn: It is sooo cute. It was almost all golden/pale from the 2.5 hour trip home, last night. Now it is getting a bit more color, brighter!

Got a pretty good pic and at the top above him you can see the side of my Albino Bristlenose! And the Nerite eggs on the dw.

60074-albums9317-picture52576.jpg
[/IMG]

I didn't have it, but adopted it, for $4.99, lol! It is a orange lazer, I only know this as it is orangish and has a lazer stripe...

1.5 hour away lfs had a bunch of tanks of bunches of cories of all kinds "mixed", any 4.99.

There were soooo many. That was the only one like it in the store though.

There was another couple which had brown circles, not dots, and a tan body never have seen any like it before, looked at all the pics on planet catfish and didn't see it???

They had something else I might want so I may go back and see they are still there. Also one which after looking looked like a Adolphoi which I noticed run $30-50 on line, is that right?

I acclimated him, 1.25 inches, and he's still zipping around but mostly hiding and keeping to himself so far. There bronze/green cories and the Emerald Brochis .....

oh oh, I dropped some wafers a while ago and the new one is over with all of them eating!!!!!!!!!!:dance:

Went for the phone to get a pic and scared them in every direction. :blink: now the little guy is hiding again.

Dropped a couple more wafers! :popcorn: It is sooo cute. It was almost all golden/pale from the 2.5 hour trip home, last night. Now it is getting a bit more color, brighter!

Got a pretty good pic and at the top above him you can see the side of my Albino Bristlenose! And the Nerite eggs on the dw.

[/IMG]

He's so cute! Love cories mine are always on the go definitely the most active fish i have :)

I love my cories so much that I just got a new 20L which I will be setting up primarily as a cory sandbox, planted of course.

I will be moving my cory pack out of the 36 so the Bristlenose Pleco's can have the floor all to themselves.

Attachments

• image-3861473768.jpg
    image-3861473768.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1049431645.jpg
    image-1049431645.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3726204770.jpg
    image-3726204770.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image-137158295.jpg
    image-137158295.jpg