Crazy Corys Anonymous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a 25 gallon there is 3 ghost shrimp the 3 corys one albino and the others are unknown. There is a baby pleco that I will probably regime soon. And two ramshorn snails.

Sand is great! My cories were on gravel for awhile. It didn't affect their barbels but now that they have sand the barbels have really grown. I'm not sure if this is actually possible maybe they grow with the fish but they've def gotten longer/thicker.

I think my old substrate was having a real impact on their barbel growth to the point where all of them were ground down and I was facing the prospect of disease or death.

They seem so much happier with the sand although a bit hesitant at 1st to really have a good dig. They seem to have settled though :)

I think my old substrate was having a real impact on their barbel growth to the point where all of them were ground down and I was facing the prospect of disease or death.

They seem so much happier with the sand although a bit hesitant at 1st to really have a good dig. They seem to have settled though :)

Oh yeah, when mine are feeding they kick up soo much sand!!

I have four 3/4" panda corys in my planted 20g/h I was suprised on how active they are I might end up getting one more. I think the odd numbers seem to work better.

ForumRunner_20130428_232541.jpg

All mine have gotten less active since i moved them from the 20g to the 55g .. i dont get it either the ph and all levels are the same the temp is the same i feed them the same its just a bigger tank :( mine have gotten lazy i thought maybe adding more to each group might help .. i have 4 albino and 4 green .

ooooh, I am going to go look for a few cories today! any suggestions which type(s) for a very heavily planted 29 g with 5 neons, a male betta and a pea puffer. bizarre mix i know but so many plants, driftwood and tunnels it works nicely. My gravel is fine, will that do? only a river shape the rest is sprouting swords and crypts etc

ooooh, I am going to go look for a few cories today! any suggestions which type(s) for a very heavily planted 29 g with 5 neons, a male betta and a pea puffer. bizarre mix i know but so many plants, driftwood and tunnels it works nicely. My gravel is fine, will that do? only a river shape the rest is sprouting swords and crypts etc

I know nothing about puffers, but I have albino Corys. They're a little on the bigger end of cories. I have four of them in with a half moon double tail plakat betta. Everything I read said plakats were real aggressive, but Thomas is pretty calm. Then again, he did get stuck on the filter intake less than five minutes after getting put in and has issues with his left eye. I think the smallest cories are pygmies. To be safe, I would get a little bigger. Also, if you can, take the betta out and rearrange some decor. It would make him more likely to accept the cories into his territory if it all looks new and they were in the "new" place first. As long as the gravel is smooth, it should be fine. Just watch for barbel damage. If any damage shows up, switch to sand as soon as you can. Barbel damage leads to a whole other slew of problems. Have fun!!

Also a little Cory cave might be a good option. Just in case there is an aggression issue. There have been more than once a "peaceful" Betta can turn "rouge" and attack and kill tank mates for no apparent reason.

I have 5 albino corys in a 15g column with a crowntail betta (Renji) and a gold mystery snail. To accommodate Renji, I diverted the flow of my penguin 150 biowheel downward with a sponge. Although I had an sir stone on a small top fin air pump, I noticed that the corys and the snail seemed a bit sluggish (no pun intended, haha). I got to thinking that maybe there wasn't enough oxygen exchange going on, so I added a stronger air pump and a larger air stone. Well, that opened the flood gates! My corys have been up and down and all around, riding in the bubbles, and generally having a fabulous time on a nearly continuous basis ever since :D They are SOOOOO much fun to watch, I'm smiling and laughing at them all the time!

Autumnsky, I am going to heed your advice and get a Cory Cave for them in case Renji, who's currently behaving himself, turns rogue, as you suggest. Thanks for mentioning :)

I would set up some thin flag stone type rocks on top of a few pieces so they have a couple inch area to hide under, you could make it look stacked and cliff like, and silicone them when you get a nice design shape, so they don't fall and crush anybody. Another option is some stacked driftwood pieces. Making sure to have entrance and exit places just in case a rouge Betta gets them in a corner they can sneak out and not be trapped.

The African Dwarf frogs were easier since they are basically flat, lol Mr. Betta can't get to them as easily.

But I have seen a Betta lay on the bottom horizontally, to pick at snails and try to pick at my previous ADF, while the ADF were in their safety zone.

After I found the cranky Betta was after them and set up the safety zone.

He was too mean. The ADF got moved from his space and went in their own little tank. This was over 3 years ago, the last little ADF passed on about 2 years ago, but I am considering some more. Just have to do some checking for compatibility. (I miss those guys too/know this is about Cories, AND crazy Bettas, lol)

I would set up some thin flag stone type rocks on top of a few pieces so they have a couple inch area to hide under, you could make it look stacked and cliff like, and silicone them when you get a nice design shape, so they don't fall and crush anybody. Another option is some stacked driftwood pieces. Making sure to have entrance and exit places just in case a rouge Betta gets them in a corner they can sneak out and not be trapped.

The African Dwarf frogs were easier since they are basically flat, lol Mr. Betta can't get to them as easily.

But I have seen a Betta lay on the bottom horizontally, to pick at snails and try to pick at my previous ADF, while the ADF were in their safety zone.

After I found the cranky Betta was after them and set up the safety zone.

He was too mean. The ADF got moved from his space and went in their own little tank. This was over 3 years ago, the last little ADF passed on about 2 years ago, but I am considering some more. Just have to do some checking for compatibility. (I miss those guys too/know this is about Cories, AND crazy Bettas, lol)

My blue male betta is an expert hunter of shrimp. I have 2 large pieces of dw in his 10 g and I've seen him wriggle under it to flush shrimp out. I'm sure it would be the same with cory cats. I like the stacked idea with a raised bottom. But if the substrate is sand, then the betta may be able to 'dig' them out. Bettas are temperamental!

I have 5 albino corys in a 15g column with a crowntail betta (Renji) and a gold mystery snail. To accommodate Renji, I diverted the flow of my penguin 150 biowheel downward with a sponge. Although I had an sir stone on a small top fin air pump, I noticed that the corys and the snail seemed a bit sluggish (no pun intended, haha). I got to thinking that maybe there wasn't enough oxygen exchange going on, so I added a stronger air pump and a larger air stone. Well, that opened the flood gates! My corys have been up and down and all around, riding in the bubbles, and generally having a fabulous time on a nearly continuous basis ever since :D They are SOOOOO much fun to watch, I'm smiling and laughing at them all the time!

Autumnsky, I am going to heed your advice and get a Cory Cave for them in case Renji, who's currently behaving himself, turns rogue, as you suggest. Thanks for mentioning :)

I've never had a mean Betta. I have an Elephant Ear Betta in each of my tanks.
As for the Cory's , all of mine; from the big to the Pygmy ; they ALL play in the strong current from my canister filter! Very fun to watch. They seem to be having a great time

My blue male betta is an expert hunter of shrimp. I have 2 large pieces of dw in his 10 g and I've seen him wriggle under it to flush shrimp out. I'm sure it would be the same with cory cats. I like the stacked idea with a raised bottom. But if the substrate is sand, then the betta may be able to 'dig' them out. Bettas are temperamental!

Just as a possible way/place to escape a crazy out burst.

They are able to live in rice paddie puddles, lol so it is logical they could squeeze sideways.

Someone here recently had one kill off the other fish in the tank in a couple days, after being a nice community Betta for months. My ADF lived peace-ably with him for months and then, bam! :eek:crazy maniacidal (and yeah, I just kinda made that word up) murderer.

I have a nice one that lives in a tank with lots of other fish. He used to swim along with a bunch of Fire Tail Red guppy males like they were all the same. And another which hates snails even. Finally he has snails now but doesn't like them and head butts them.

Back
Top Bottom