Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Crazy LFS!!

I've been exploring LFS online and calling them asking how much they will take for young 3 mth old Dalmatian Mollies.
One store left me laughing in disbelief... $1-2 for 25 mollies!!!
:-0

Have any of you had crazy fish selling stories?

Old 12-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO 1-2 dollars is a reasonable amount for a group of baby mollies. Most stores could easily breed their own mollies, and because they are so common their value is low. The same goes for platies, guppies, convicts, etc.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Other places I called take them for $1 EACH not the whole lot of them! So shocking..
Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah all the stores around me buy fish dirt cheap and then hike prices by vast amounts. if you are not a regular breeder they treat you horribly. often i have to end up donating fish to stores when i dont want to collect certain species anymore. on another note st. louis the city i live in has lost almost all small buisness pet and fish stores. we have lost like five stores in two years leaving us with the chain stores petco and petsmart. the petco takes donated fish and resells them. just goes to show how cruel and over the top the market is now. good luck on your venture.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm trying Craigslist too...
I didn't have problems rehoming adult fish on Craigslist... Perhaps people don't want babies... Tho they are big enough to acclimate with adults just fine... Hmm...
Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin
Other places I called take them for $1 EACH not the whole lot of them! So shocking..
All depends on the store. Around here the LFS take fish and give you half of what they sell them for.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997

All depends on the store. Around here the LFS take fish and give you half of what they sell them for.
Mollies here at LFS are $2.99 each... Is $1 each too much to ask?!
Pout pout! Haha
Old 12-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi my local fish shop will not pay anything for fish taken into the shop, especially live bearers I got a tank full of shrimps,which they sale at over £3.00 per shrimp and when i asked what i would get if i took some in i was told i may get a little credit Best idea is to try and sell them privately. Good luck
Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4
Hi my local fish shop will not pay anything for fish taken into the shop, especially live bearers I got a tank full of shrimps,which they sale at over £3.00 per shrimp and when i asked what i would get if i took some in i was told i may get a little credit Best idea is to try and sell them privately. Good luck
Thank you
Old 12-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your welcome Good quality home bred fish are so much better than most fish shops so some one some where would be more than happy to buy them off of you

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com