Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Creatures of the Atlantic

Im writing a speech on rip currents and I thought that it would be interesting to tell the class what kind of creatures they may be around if they were to get sucked out into the deep of the New Jersey Shoreline by a rip current. Does anyone know of what you may encounter or be near out there?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not really...the closest thing I have seen is a great multi-level display at the Baltimore Aquarium that houses local sea life from the Atlantic. It is a great exhibit.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know for sure that we have little sand sharks I always see them getting caught by fisherman. Also there are some type of stingray.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I believe the Atlantic City Aquarium has native species exhibits. How far are you from AC?

"Fish of the Mid-Atlantic Ocean

25,000 gallon exhibit features a variety of sea creatures native to the waters off of NJ, and the rest of the Mid-Atlantic region. Ranging in size from the big to the small; these include cownose rays, smooth dogfish, and black sea bass; just to name a few. And don’t forget Groman, our Loggerhead Sea Turtle. "

https://www.oceanlifecenter.com/aquarium.asp

It's funny you start this thread because I must have spent about 3 hours reading about BlueFish, Fluke and whatever else I could find native to NJ waters. I used to go deep sea fishing with my father and decided to read about what I used to catch, next thing I knew it was 3 hours later.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSix View Post
I believe the Atlantic City Aquarium has native species exhibits. How far are you from AC?

"Fish of the Mid-Atlantic Ocean

25,000 gallon exhibit features a variety of sea creatures native to the waters off of NJ, and the rest of the Mid-Atlantic region. Ranging in size from the big to the small; these include cownose rays, smooth dogfish, and black sea bass; just to name a few. And donít forget Groman, our Loggerhead Sea Turtle. "

https://www.oceanlifecenter.com/aquarium.asp

It's funny you start this thread because I must have spent about 3 hours reading about BlueFish, Fluke and whatever else I could find native to NJ waters. I used to go deep sea fishing with my father and decided to read about what I used to catch, next thing I knew it was 3 hours later.
Yeah its def an interesting topic. Check this out.

http://fishbase.org/Country/CountryC...sub_code=US-NJ
Old 06-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Don't forget about horseshoe crab, jelly fish, lobster, etc. and the State Aquarium in Camden.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

also there's the trash, used needles, toxic waste, and the occasional corpse lol
Old 06-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

That was the 80's and came from NYC trash being dumped too close to shore (except for the occasional corpse, that was us ).

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creatures, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com