Criticism from 'experts'!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it me or is this forum getting worse by the day? All I'm seeing lately is criticism to beginners, if someone has a tank too small, all I hear is you need to get a bigger tank or your fish will be stressed and die, or is your tank cycled? I understand they could get stressed and die but whatever happened to constructive criticism? Tell the person the requirements of the fish, HELP them get better at this hobby not everyone is an expert I'm sure some of these 'experts' on here have made mistakes before so I don't think it gives these 'experts' any right to criticise. Rant over!

I don't think of it as criticism. I think of it as tough love. If you sugarcoat things, fish will die because the severity of the situation won't necessarily be understood.

I have to admit, I haven't seen any downright rudeness. Maybe I'm just lucky.

You are right!!

Its only that sometime, people tells you they have 10 goldfish in ten gal. And when some experience people come and tell you it takes a 77 gal. , its just the thruth!!

What, it would be better to let them go like that just to please them???

Yeah but you don't have to patronise people. Which is what happens.

Where here to find info and I think that's the whole point of the website.

And why is the lfs the problem. And why is cycling such a bit part

I've cycled all three of my tanks and still fish die. I should just buy all the ready made bacteria and be done with it.

It's crazy.

LyndaB said:
I don't think of it as criticism. I think of it as tough love. If you sugarcoat things, fish will die because the severity of the situation won't necessarily be understood.

I have to admit, I haven't seen any downright rudeness. Maybe I'm just lucky.

How is telling someone the requirements of the fish sugarcoating things? If you give constructive criticism then they would understand? And yeah you must be lucky lol.

LyndaB said:
There must be an issue if you've had the same bad experience with 3 tanks. Have you researched it?

I have for every tank and more and more for each subsequent tank. And bot all the fish die it just some die for unknown reasons and I think it's down to this natural method people use.

Why are the "experts" so against new age chemical that make the job easier and more enjoyable. And also better for the fish.

MonsterfishGuy said:
You are right!!

Its only that sometime, people tells you they have 10 goldfish in ten gal. And when some experience people come and tell you it takes a 77 gal. , its just the thruth!!

What, it would be better to let them go like that just to please them???

That's what people should be doing, that is letting the person know the requirements, which is what I said should be happening? I don't think u read the post properly.

I've told many many people the requirements for a rainbow shark, having had one, and using my personal experience as a guideline for them. Still, right after I blow their minds by telling them that although I would recommend a 75 gallon, I rehomed mine to someone with 125 gallon tank, they say things like "oh, well mine seems really happy in my 10 gallon, so I'm just going to keep him, because I love him SO much".

That's when the tough love gloves come on..... :banghead:

Steo the great said:
I have for every tank and more and more for each subsequent tank. And bot all the fish die it just some die for unknown reasons and I think it's down to this natural method people use.

Why are the "experts" so against new age chemical that make the job easier and more enjoyable. And also better for the fish.

It's because they don't work.... It has to be your fault if your fish are dying left and right since no one else seems to be complaining about cycling a tank the right way.

LyndaB said:
I've told many many people the requirements for a rainbow shark, having had one, and using my personal experience as a guideline for them. Still, right after I blow their minds by telling them that although I would recommend a 75 gallon, I rehomed mine to someone with 125 gallon tank, they say things like "oh, well mine seems really happy in my 10 gallon, so I'm just going to keep him, because I love him SO much".

That's when the tough love gloves come on..... :banghead:

That should be when u leave the thread never to return as there obviously not in this hobby to learn the ins and outs and are not worth the time. Can't save every fish unfortunately.

While you're welcome to have that opinion... it would be irresponsible for someone who knows that your setup isn't giong to work to not say so. If someone calls you an idiot because you have something going on that shouldn't be, that's one thing... but if they're simply informing you of a mistake, then that's the responsible thing to do.

mfdrookie516 said:
While you're welcome to have that opinion... it would be irresponsible for someone who knows that your setup isn't giong to work to not say so. If someone calls you an idiot because you have something going on that shouldn't be, that's one thing... but if they're simply informing you of a mistake, then that's the responsible thing to do.

Again, that's what I'm telling people to do. Constructive criticism, telling people the requirements.

That should be when u leave the thread never to return as there obviously not in this hobby to learn the ins and outs and are not worth the time. Can't save every fish unfortunately.

I will not leave their thread until I've exhausted all of my resources in trying to help and teach them.

Just because they don't "get it" right away, you should never presume it to mean that they don't care.

In my eyes, every one of them is worth the time. More importantly, every one of their fish is worth the time. :flowers:

Chris22 said:
That's what people should be doing, that is letting the person know the requirements, which is what I said should be happening? I don't think u read the post properly.

Sorry to tell my opinion!!!

But i read it properly...

Maybe you are frustrated because someone told you something you dont do properly but if that was'nt true, then its over, if that was true just do what you need to do!

Its one of the smoothiest forum...

Steo the great said:

Because they dont try it!!

They work!

I think, too, that "constructive criticism" is subject to differing theories of interpretation. What I might see as constructive, you might see as harsh. Neither is right, neither is wrong, as both are opinion.

I think that there are some people who ask for "constructive criticism", when they're really only looking for the first half of that statement. Our responsibility as experienced fishkeepers is two-fold:

1. Constructive - Providing suggestions for improvement, and information on different aquarium topics.

2. Criticism - Correcting misinformation, and letting people know that what they are doing is sub-optimal or harmful.

You have to understand that not everyone possesses what I'll call "exclusionary logic".

I say: "2+2 = 4"

Someone with exclusionary logic: "Well if 2+2 = 4, then 2+2 shouldn't equal 5, or 8, or 25."

Someone without exclusionary logic: "Well he didn't say that 2+2 doesn't equal 3, so I think 2+2 is just fine equaling 3."

Translation:

Me: "A betta would really enjoy a 6 gallon tank."

Someone without exclusionary logic: "Well, he didn't say that a vase was bad - so I'll keep using my vase."

Me: "A betta would really enjoy a 6 gallon tank."

Someone without exclusionary logic: "Well, he didn't say that a vase was bad - so I'll keep using my vase."

Wow, I didn't understand any of that mathematical stuff that preceded it, but I understand the above part all too well.......

This thread has completely and totally turned in to a mess of people arguing, name calling, and just plain childish behavior. It's fine to have adult conversations on here, but when it turns in to personal attacks, it's not alright. I'd highly suggest everyone involved re-read our community rules, as we do not tollerate this behavior.

Most of the posts have been deleted. If your post was deleted, you can consider that a warning based on your posting behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom