Crowd Funded Educational Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For those not familiar with fresh water fish, it is part of the daily routine of large pet stores to sell bettas on small cups and, right next to them, some water tanks that are less than ideal for these fish. These fish stay inside the cups until they are sold or die from ammonia intoxication. When they are lucky, they go to a tank that is 1/2 gallon or a gallon, with no filtration or heating system, and that is pretty much it.

I was wondering if a crowd funded educational project to reduce this situation is viable. I was thinking about basic steps such as the assemble of an ideal tank for a betta fish as well as the promotional material (both for print and web) to create awareness of the torture chambers these fish are usually doomed to live in compared to what should be done for not a lot more.

I come from an educational background (college professor) and I have access to a top notch marketing team to create some serious emotional branding to the cause, hopefully reaching national level.

I was thinking about 500 bucks, most likely to be used to put together this conceptual tank and the rest for printing. I can find the graphic designers to volunteer their work for the design and I can do the marketing aspect thru the advertising agency here in Central Florida that I lecture at.

With social media and some enthusiasm to share the cause, we need 500 people to donate a dollar to the cause. Options like 5, 10 or 50 bucks can be created, with some kind of reward for those doing so (printed image of the saved betta, etched tag next to the aquarium, etc).

Any thoughts? With Christmas coming, I know I cannot change the world but I want to give a try at least causing a little dent.

Good idea! You could make a blog about it. On my blog, I have a betta care sheet that informs people about betta needs.
For the tank, do a twenty gallon tank with maybe some peaceful fish like cories, but a dull color like peppered cories so the betta is the star. Then do lots of live plants and such. Make the ultimate set up!

Rcguerra said:
Believe me, I will make this the ultimate luxury home for a Betta.

And if you do a BIG tank, people will think, well those betta bowls must be bad for them because this betta is in a big tank and looks really healthy so I should get a tank like this with a heater and filter and stuff.

It really can't be the US$700 NanoCube with Radioactive lighting and Molecular Filtration with laser self cleaning robots, but we can find an affordable setup that will educate people it is possible. My main question is, can we find 500 people willing to donate a buck?

Rcguerra said:
It really can't be the US$700 NanoCube with Radioactive lighting and Molecular Filtration with laser self cleaning robots, but we can find an affordable setup that will educate people it is possible. My main question is, can we find 500 people willing to donate a buck?

Lol- they make those? The self cleaning robots I meant.

It would be an interesting project. I'd recommend showing off the smallest and easiest tanks possible as opposed to more complicated tanks. Remember, you'd be reaching out to people who want simple and easy. That is why bowls and cups are sold. Have you checked with your local aquarium club to see if hey have any programs? If you don't have a local aquarium club, you could start one.

Back
Top Bottom