Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2005, 11:00 PM   #11
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
"Trailer Park Boys" is nothing like Canada, but "Little Britain" is exactly like England.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 07-15-2005, 07:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hahahahaha it isnt really LOL

Old 07-16-2005, 12:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love "Are You Being Served", Mr. Bean, Monty Python's Flying Circus - and the Guy Richie films, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and Snatch. Sometimes it's hard to understand the dialogue through the the Cockney accents, but that's what closed captioning is for! I'm also amused by British colloqialisms and slang - words like lorry (truck) and nick (steal), as well as the peculiar British spelling of words that end in 'or'. They still DO speak English in England, don't they?. As George Bernard Shaw once said, "England and America are two countries separated by a common language. "

On that note, I'll never forget when a postdoc in my former lab, matter-of-factly told us that he was going out for a f.a.g and asked if anyone wished to join him! We were shocked, then ROFL when he told us what he meant. Thereafter, he started "going out for a smoke"!
Old 07-16-2005, 03:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Fiance's family is all British on her mother's side. The differences are very interesting. Her Grandmother is very much like Mrs. Bucket from Keeping up Appearances and her grandfather is a Welsh gypsy. It's very entertaining to see them.

As for the tv shows. I've seen Desperate Housewives once, didn't really care for it. I grew up in basically the neighborhood they are trying to recreate. A few things are somewhat accurate such as conniving, better than everyone else, affluent housewives. Also out of control kids whose parents think they are angels. Other than that, it was just too overly dramatic. I would say the beginning of the movie American Beauty, before Kevin Spacey flips out and decides to change his life, is a much more accurate representation of American life.

One Tree Hill is nothing like real life high school. Real Life High School is dominated by "clicks"--don't know how you spell it. About 10 people in the school are considered popular and everybody in the school tries to be one of those 10 people. Basically everyone trying to be like everyone else. Nothing like One Tree Hill. I would say Dawson's Creek is more like High School in the US than any HS show I can think of, except that obviously that isn't the vocabulary kids use. Kids just don't talk that way. Kids thinking that every moment of their life in HS is way more important that it actually is.

Don't mean to sound bitter or anything. I'm really not. It's just that so much of life is much more mundane than tv makes it out to be, much less dramatic.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to tracygh Send a message via Yahoo to tracygh
I am first generation Canadian. My parents were born and raised near Brighton, then got married and jumped on a boat for Canada, so I am used to the 'terms'. I apparently had a strong accent which faded by first/second grade, but my husband swears it comes out when I'm angry. He says he knows when to surrender and hide when I start "sounding British" LOL There are alot of terms I used growing up, and still use now that I have to consciously stop and think 'hey, your average canadian/american won't have a clue what you're talking about'. And of course these same colloquialisms are being passed on to a whole new generation in my children

*of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most*
Old 07-17-2005, 06:56 AM   #16
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracygh
There are alot of terms I used growing up, and still use now that I have to consciously stop and think 'hey, your average canadian/american won't have a clue what you're talking about'.
Sort of like Newfies....

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Closed Thread

Tags
american

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com