Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Culture - American / England

I live int he North eat of england and am only 16 years old. Therefore I love my television. Last eyar I began to watch t.v. programs such as Desperate Housewives And One Tree Hill. I have to say I find these programs amazing and cant wait to see the new series. 8). I know that this isnt obviously what every ones life is like in the USA, but it is in some ways a big culture shock to see how we live different in so many ways and yet so similar in others.

P.S. I LOVE these programs to bits.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I, as an American, love your BBC. I can't wait until they finally release Look Around You in an American coded DVD. And from our neighbors to the north, I can't stop watching Trailer Park Boys.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm with you Roger. I thought Fawlty Towers was the funniest thing ever on TV. Are You Being Served should be a classic as well.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

you know what is funny is a lot of our tv program ideas aren't origional. There is a list of hit shows in the US that were copies of shows from other countries.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #5

Re: Culture - American / England

[quote="Steven_Askham"] Last eyar I began to watch t.v. programs such as Desperate Housewives And One Tree Hill..... I know that this isnt obviously what every ones life is like in the USA, but it is in some ways a big culture shock to see how we live different in so many ways and yet so similar in others. [quote]

Well, I've never seen One Tree Hill, but I can tell you with no doubts, NO tv show is much like real life! Please don't think any Americans live like they do on TV (esp. Desperate Housewives!)

I'd be interested in what aspects of the shows you think are "real," or even "somewhat real." 8)

Old 07-14-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was only joking LOL. . I know that life isnt obviously like desperate housewives lol . But it is a great T.V show. 8). I mean In One tree Hill is that what Americans chool is like it sounds so much better than ours lol 8)
Old 07-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

One Tree Hill is ridiculous in my opinion. Kids getting married in high school. Girl living by herself with no parents and occasional sleep overs with boyfriend who already has baby by another girl. Total tv garbage. And I refuse to give in and even watch a show called Desparate Housewives. And reality tv sucks, imo. I want to be entertained by high quality actors and writers not regular joe shmo morons.

Now Buffy the Vampire Slayer, that was a high quality show! LOL (I'm totally serious by the way.) Joss Whedon is a genius. And Spike is the best character ever written for tv. Hmmm speaking of desparate housewives.....LOL

oh and battlestar gallatica is a good show too.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wooo I love buffy the vampire slayer. I use to collect stuff for it

LOL

Its asaim it is not on any more, well new episodes.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNY
I'm with you Roger. I thought Fawlty Towers was the funniest thing ever on TV. Are You Being Served should be a classic as well.
True!

I also really like Keeping Up Appearances.

Comedies aside, the BBC also has some wonderful documentaries.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 07-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to tracygh Send a message via Yahoo to tracygh
You mean Coronation Street isn't an accurate depiction of british life? 8O

I am amazed whenever I have travelled to visit my family in England how often people will say "oh you are nothing like the people on the telly"... LOL or worse yet, "you're from Canada? Do you know so and so?"

*of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most*
Closed Thread

Tags
american

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com