Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: would you pay to have a custom built stand?
yes,if reasonably priced 10 58.82%
no 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
custom stands and canopys

jsut wondering if there was any sort of demand for this, im looking into starting a business, and was just curiuos if it would be profitable.

i like fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
If it was affordable, I think you could find creative aquarist everywhere!

Woo Hoo, PAYDAY! Time to pay the LFS rent (even before I pay mine )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I'll vote, but thought I'd mention that I'd probably look for good off-the-shelf templates too. I enjoy doing a lot of things myself and would probably pay for someone to design for me so I could build. Maybe do both in your business? Build and design. Sell the design specs too?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:50 AM   #4
thats a good idea too, thanks, im gonna be taking courses on how to draw plans and stuff so they are all professional like, so that would be good too.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I voted no, but only cuz i build my own! I think you could make money but not for a living well maybe if you dont have much bills Around your area you will do good for a while then what? People wont want to pay shipping on something that big. They could have someone make one in there area and not pay shipping. And i dont think you could mark them up enough to ship for free either cuz then they could just buy one over the counter. But you may get a few that just want a custom one thoe. Good luck thoe
KMyers18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
i like fish, my husband put himself through college building cabinets and though he would love to own his own business, there are some serious considerations that have stopped us. First, the issue with custom is that it's--well, custom. Cab shops make $ because they can build efficiently (repeat the same step on 10 units at once, that kind of thing) and once you get into true custom that goes out the window. The solution is to charge more, which cuts down on the number of people who will be interested . . . anyway, if you've got the equipment and the shop space already, it might be doable. But from experience, I can say it's the kind of thing that it very, very hard to do out of a garage or something. I don't want to be discouraging, but that is our experience.

That said, if anyone in the Sacramento area wants a custom stand and will pay top dollar, give me a ring.
75-gallon SW tank with 29-gallon sump
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:33 PM   #7
well it was more of like a part of a business, my plan for the future was to hopefully own my own fish store, and do that as a side thing, but before i get my own store, i planned on making small furnitures and such and selling them through my moms shop, i was jsut wondering if it was even worth bothering to try or if it would probably not be worth it, i planned on this being a local thing, but i put the poll up to see if people would even want to buy a custom stand, or would rather have a veneered particle board stand or whatever, i have seen some nice custom stands on the site and lots of comments about how nice they are but peopel dotn have time to do it themselves, so i thought it might be a good way to help other s out and make some money, but i didnt know if there was any real demand, or if people jsut like to wow at what they cant or really dont want to have...thanks for the opinions all
Old 11-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I made a few standard size 2x4 stands for one of the local pet shops when I was about 14 or 15. I quickly learned that I wasn't going to make much money at it because the owner could purchase them from a supplier for not much more than what I was paying for materials. If you want to make some custom stands, I'd recommend making one for yourself, take a few pictures of it, and ask if you can post the pictures with a brief description up at the local fish stores. Make sure you keep careful track of the cost of your materials and how much time it took so that you can give an accurate estimate if anyone is interested.
Hope this helps.
75 gal
4x65w PC
AquaC Remora Pro
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
All I can say is every business started somewhere no matter how big or small. If you feel you can produce a quality product that people will buy then do it. I am a carpenter myself and a good name can get around quicker than people would think(especially in the constuction industry) like I said before people will pay good money if the product is worth it. Follow what your heart tells you and good luck to you. BTW I voted no because like I said before I am a carpenter

Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote

custom, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com