Cycling??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollykid

Aquarium Advice Regular
Het guys do guys know anything u can keep in a 10 gallon or 50 gallon tank without cycling doesn't have to be a fish can be a land animal ?

Air. You can keep air in it. Any fish tank needs cycling. Land animals need water to drink. That doesn't need to be cycled. But most people keep land animals in cages or huts.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Then can you suggest some stocking ideas or a 10 gallon
- thanks in advance

How about a dolphin. It has an airhole

Obsession is a matter of opinion

Then can you suggest some stocking ideas or a 10 gallon
- thanks in advance

Here's a good general list of 10g possibilities. I would suggest picking a few that catch your eye and then lots of research about each. Some will be okay together and some won't. Truthfully, a 10g is very difficult to do because of the size and ability for parameters to shift rather quickly. A larger (29g) would be much easier and open up more choices. Here's a good guide. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...+2855&r=3119&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

Het guys do guys know anything u can keep in a 10 gallon or 50 gallon tank without cycling doesn't have to be a fish can be a land animal ?

Have you checked out a pet store for options?

Family have kept snails in small tanks before. Mostly just ate stuff out of the garden. Can't remember if they ate spinach but since it meant we didn't have to eat it, a win all round :)

Yeah, but the question was what was a good fish to keep without cycling it. The answer is that there are no good fish to cycle a tank with unless you plan on them dying. Even if they don't die, their health will be compromised. You would need daily 50% water changes and hardy fish like some zebra danios. Basically you would get fish that you really don't want in the long run

I've done fish in cycling, but I don't recommend it to most people.
If you plant the tank heavily, it can cut down on cycling time. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423610788.227482.jpg

I've had good luck with Bettas
Or
Cherry Barbs
Or
Harlequin Rasboras.

The tank still needs to cycle, you still need to monitor it. I rarely lose fish, but I've been doing this a long time so I have confidence in my methods.

Fishless cycling is usually recommended for people that are new to aquariums. It is much easier on the fish but it can be boring to look at an empty tank which is why I recommend lots of plants. I can enjoy gardening until I can get my fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I disagree. Fish in cycle is recommended for newbies because pet stores are trying to sell fish to kids that don't have to patience to wait a month for the tank to cycle while it is empty. People that have "been doing this awhile" don't need to wait a month because they will use seeded media from a different tank. Of course plants speed up the process, but new people don't know enough about fish, let alone plants, lighting, ferts and substrates. It is good that you rarely lose fish, but it's sad to know the ones you have left have been subjected to toxins and are in poor health because it was boring to watch an empty aquarium.

Yeah, but the question was what was a good fish to keep without cycling it. The answer is that there are no good fish to cycle a tank with unless you plan on them dying. Even if they don't die, their health will be compromised. You would need daily 50% water changes and hardy fish like some zebra danios. Basically you would get fish that you really don't want in the long run

Ah, my apologies - I was referring to post 1 which I believe refers to 'anything' and/or 'land animal'.

Edit - looks like I missed post 3 on stocking question.

I disagree. Fish in cycle is recommended for newbies because pet stores are trying to sell fish to kids that don't have to patience to wait a month for the tank to cycle while it is empty. People that have "been doing this awhile" don't need to wait a month because they will use seeded media from a different tank. Of course plants speed up the process, but new people don't know enough about fish, let alone plants, lighting, ferts and substrates. It is good that you rarely lose fish, but it's sad to know the ones you have left have been subjected to toxins and are in poor health because it was boring to watch an empty aquarium.

Um...you don't know me. My last fish I cycled with lived 6 + yrs. My Rasboras kept doing breeding behavior after almost every water change.
I don't allow toxins to build up.

I am aware that stores recommend buying fish too soon. I used to manage pet stores. My last one was a corporate giant. So I just did my best to keep fish alive. I recommended adding no more than 2 or 3 fish to start. And then keeping up on testing and water changes.

I was referring to this site and what I recommend.

The only fish I lost were Otos, but 1 out of 4. The others lived long healthy lives. The water parameters were fine.

Regards
Tina
Member San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423621896.084865.jpg

Yeah, but the question was what was a good fish to keep without cycling it.

Actually, no that wasn't the question.

Ah, my apologies - I was referring to post 1 which I believe refers to 'anything' and/or 'land animal'.

Yes, "anything" -

Land animals in a 10g ?
Hermit Crabs, till they get bigger.

Firebelly Toads

Tree Frogs

Leopard Gecko (20Long is better)

Baby Pacman Frog

Tarantula

Hissing Cockroaches

Etc...

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Land animals in a 10g ?
Hermit Crabs, till they get bigger.

Firebelly Toads

Tree Frogs

Leopard Gecko (20Long is better)

Baby Pacman Frog

Tarantula

Hissing Cockroaches

Etc...

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't help but ask if you can get all those from a pet shop? If you can are they commonly sold. Was wondering. I've seen hermit crabs for sale and lizard feed dishes so assume somewhere must sell lizards but zippo on the rest of the animals.

Well I'm in California, so we have Reptile stores and breeders.
But yes, even Petsmart/Petco sell most of these.

There are also Reptile Clubs and years ago I started a Tarantula club.

We also have reptile "shows" that are big sales.

I live near The East Bay Vivarium as well. It was the largest reptile store in the country at one point.

But don't buy anything until you thoroughly research the animal's needs and long term care.

I live near The East Bay Vivarium as well. It was the largest reptile store in the country at one point.

But don't buy anything until you thoroughly research the animal's needs and long term care.

You own tarantulas?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tina, you rock !!! ??

I'm not familiar enough to have stepped into owning a tarantula yet due to lack of research on my side, but one thing I've always had some interest in. Besides thinking they're really cool, I do know they are all venomous. And anything I have read states the results of the bites are not well known other than it can be discomforting for a few days. I don't know of any clubs in my area either but again, lack of research thus far. Any reputable links you would offer for research on ownership/caring for ?

You own tarantulas?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I used to when I owned my house.
Had at least 64 at one point. A lot were babies. My largest was my male Goliath Bird Eater. Sorry, no pics on this phone. I sent him out for breeding once we knew he was a boy.

Tina, you rock !!! ??

I'm not familiar enough to have stepped into owning a tarantula yet due to lack of research on my side, but one thing I've always had some interest in. Besides thinking they're really cool, I do know they are all venomous. And anything I have read states the results of the bites are not well known other than it can be discomforting for a few days. I don't know of any clubs in my area either but again, lack of research thus far. Any reputable links you would offer for research on ownership/caring for ?

Most have mild venom. Shouldn't be a big deal unless you are immune compromised.

I don't like being bitten, so I avoid it.
Never got bitten by one of my Ts.
Learned safe/sane handling techniques. Rarely handled mine. Except to move them to new larger enclosures.

The Old World Ts are typically more aggressive and stronger venom.

My favorite was my Brazilian Black female. Grammastola pulchra. Super sweet. Never offered to bite or kick hair. Expensive as a starter T.

Rose Hairs are easy. Some are feisty.
I started with an Arboreal sp. Avicularia mettalica. Very shy. I had to hand feed him crickets. I made lots of mistakes, but managed to raise him to adulthood. His planned breeding fell through.

Clubs ?
American Tarantula Society can be a start. Find a local club or start one.
[URLhttp://atshq.org][/URL]

Back
Top Bottom