Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Deadly, toxic dog and cat food recalled

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10743413/from/RL.3/

This is terrible.
I hope nobody or their pets here were affected by this.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
You can never be too careful. I work with a guy who trains protection dogs. The mainstay of his own dog's diet is raw chicken. Don't get him started on the topic about "dog food"; he thinks it's the worst "lie" told to dog owners.

Regardless, spread the news about this. People need to be aware...

Old 01-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Deli, I don't have a dog or cat, and I was very surprised to hear that there is so much corn in dog food. I mean, they're carnivores - who ever heard of dogs eating corn?

The only thing I would worry about the raw chicken is salmonella - are dogs affected by that bug at all?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's such a tragic thing - thank god I don't use that brand. But it makes you think just how dependent we are on other people for our safety. Every time you open a can of something, or a jar of baby food, anything processed, you just never know.
Pinky the betta in a 5 gal. Eclipse hex
7 gal. minibow quarantine / 2 panda cories
Old 01-10-2006, 04:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Deli, I don't have a dog or cat, and I was very surprised to hear that there is so much corn in dog food. I mean, they're carnivores - who ever heard of dogs eating corn?

Well, the corn is just a filler I think. I would guess they use corn to cut costs or something. At least the higher quality brands use less of it than lower quality brands- it is down farther on the ingredients list. I thought Diamond was supposed to be a pretty good brand, but I guess this could have happened to just about any company seeing as how almost all dog foods use corn as a filler. As someone who lost a dog due to a faulty product, I can sympathize with those owners whose dogs are affected and I was really sad to hear about this. The company that killed my baby still refuses to admit any fault; at least Diamond is owning up to its mistake.

I'm just so happy that I feed my dogs Eagle Pack.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
thanks for the link...passing it on to everyone.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTOFFER

The only thing I would worry about the raw chicken is salmonella - are dogs affected by that bug at all?
Basically, it's a raw diet and it's not just meat. Raw chicken, turkey, beef, and kangaroo is what he feeds his dog(s). Essentially you want to think about a wolf in the wild and what would he eat.

So the wolf kills a rabbit. The first thing he eats is going to be the stomach. What's in the stomach? Whatever the rabbit eats. Grass and other "greens". You take spinach and other leafy greens and run them through a blender until it's the same mushy consistency as the predigested greens you'd find in a rabbit's belly. Throw that in a bowl with some hearts, kidneys, liver, etc. The dog eats the greens with the giblets.

As far as salmonella is concerned, you use the same quality and storage methods that you would use for yourself. I can't vouche for whether or not a dog can get salmonella or not; I don't know. He's never had a problem with it, but as he told me "You don't use chicken that's been sitting in the sun for four days, you give it something fresh." Refrigerated is ok, frozen is not. Dogs can eat bone, so he usually gives the the wings and the back, etc.

There's more to it than the above, but the general gist is to give them food like they would provide for themselves if they were a wild wolf.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Salmonella is a tricky pathogen. As long as the chicken was frozen, and thawed in a fridge, it should not contain enough salmonella to get anyone sick.

Its when it's thawed at room temp that it develops a lot of the bacteria, and if not cooked thoroughly, you get sick.

Same thing with e.coli in beef. If it was frozen, and then thawed right and cooked right, yer fine. This is a primary reason why you should NEVER order a hamburger any way but well done. Pink ground beef = breeding ground for e.coli.

Why is a rare steak ok but grnd beef isn't? Cuz steak is a cut of beef...ground beef is all the scraps ground up, scraps which likely came in contact with areas of the stomach and intestine, where the e.coli bacteria lives and spreads on a butcher'd animal.

Since I've completely gone off topic, I'll wrap it up with this: everytime you think you got 'the stomach flu'...you got food poisoning. Flu like symptoms without a fever is essentially the way you distinguish flu from food borne pathogen.
Some food poisoning does cause a fever, but those types also have other very specific symptoms that rule out the flu.

Now, who's hungry?!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Now, who's hungry?!
Not me. I just ate sushi...
Old 01-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will have a filet medium rare. Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
dead, food, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com