Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2004, 09:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better if getting a dog or cat had a similar screening process to adoption. I know there's no way that would ever happen but I think the main problem here is that it's just too easy for anyone to go out and get themselves an animal. Fish included.

I read that it will soon be illegal here to give out goldfish as prizes at fairs. A tiny step, but a step in the right direction none-the-less.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:57 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
or how about a mandatory 2 week waiting period. If you still want it in two weeks then at least it is not a real spur of the moment decision.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

That sounds good. The time could also be used to educate the prospective owners somehow, or at least make them aware of what they're getting themselves into. I doubt many would bother reading a little booklet, but maybe some kind of mandatory class with a short lecture.

Getting too idealistic here, but we can hope!

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Wow. a mandatory 2 week waiting period! you choose your pet. It is set aside and neuterd, de-wormed, checked over, and you can come pick it up in 2 weeks!!! what a great Idea!!!

That would solve a TON of problems!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In the case of both my cats, all of the veterinary work was already done as I had purchased them from the humane society. My ex-wife got all of her pets from individuals, so how can you impose a 2 week waiting period there? I would think that if there were mandatory 2 week waiting periods, youd just get a lot more ir-responsible people selling pets on the street for huigher than average prices. If a person wants to pay that, then so be it. But if thats the attitude one has to resort to take, then your right back where you started. It should be up to the prospective pet owner to educate him-herself prior to purchasing a new pet. Sadly this just doesnt happen and maybe a waiting period would solve about 1/10th of the problem. Thats a start but, in my opinion, would only stir up other problems....possibly even a much larger, organized underground pet movement than currently exists. How do I really know Fidos papers are correct and true? I dont.

People are just irresponsible and that wont change. THats why we have information outlets like this website to make public education easily and readily available. I guarantee websites like this one have saved many many animals. Were on the right track and hopefully someone will come up with a system that works better in the future.

She left me before we met.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
"if you make having pets criminal, only criminals will have pets."

...or something like that.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:57 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
How do I really know Fidos papers are correct and true? I dont
If you want to know, DNA testing is very readily available nowadays. But, purebred animals are not the issue. It is the care of and capability of after purchase care that is the issue. Unfortunately as good as pet owner education sounds.....the people that cause the problems do not want to be educated.
Why? Because with education comes responsibility for your actions.

I have been in the sport of pure bred dogs for over 20 years. I have volunteered many many hours to all sorts of education projects, from teaching 4-h kids, obedience training and even grooming dogs on a volunteer basis for the local humane society to help them place the dogs. I am telling you from personal experience, that even when FREE help and assistance is offered to pet owners, they dont want to take the time to learn. (and before someone takes offense, once again, this is my personal experience with the topic)
Old 08-24-2004, 10:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I can feel where this guy is coming from. I have 5 cats, and all of them are from stupid idiot people who can't fix their animals and leave them on the street to die. I found a mother and kitten in a burger king parking lot, one behind a house with probably 100 feral cats, one folowed me an my husband home from a walk (she was starving), and one was stuck in a tree, a wee little kitten that had a collar but was too young to be outside, so we took her.
It breaks my heart how many animals have to suffer from inhumanity and indifference.
Sorry to ramble, but I am a stray cat magnet and have a soft spot for them 8)
Old 08-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

99% of lawyers make the rest look bad.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is exactly why my wife and I own 6 cats and 3 dogs. ALL of them are fixed and well taken care of. Most of them "came" to us by just the means mentioned in that article. We get people calling us all the time to "take" this cat or this dog...and it's hard to say no, but we just can't take on anymore. We have been looking for a new house with some property so that maybe we CAN "hold" on to some until we can find homes where they will live out a long and healthy life. We treat ours like they are our own children. I could not even think of giving one away for any reason. There are ways to fix certain things that animals do that make thier owners give them up. Most are just to lazy to "try" and train them.

****, it burns me to no end to see things like what has to go on in a shelter. These people (shelters) are not heartless, they just don't have a choice. Like the article said about the 6 year old shepard/lab mix.....how many people will want to adopt it?...he is doomed.

I'm done....I could go on for hours about this. But it just makes me more mad. I'm sorry if I ranted too long on this.

Mike

5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com