Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Debunking fish rumors on Facebook

I got to thinking a couple hours ago about this idea that may or may not seem worth it, so I'd like some opinions. I'm still at the drawing board, so any input at all would be great!

I was thinking that once a week or so, I would post on my Facebook some fish rumor, like goldfish living perfectly fine in a 1g bowl, and researching a credible source of information that would contradict this claim and post it up there too, along with maybe my own personal experience.

My thought here is that, a lot of horrible fish advise is basically common knowledge. That is one of the reasons that we tend to have so many new members coming on here and posting their horror story (not knocking newbies, I used to be in that place too). So, if I get the ball rolling with just my small group of friends, maybe someday, one of them passes this information on. If even one fish gets a better life out of this, it's worth all the effort to me.

Obviously these rumors came from somewhere and have traveled by word of mouth. So, why can't good information travel by word of mouth? Talking about it with fish people is great and all, but most people on these forums have at least a basic grasp of how to keep a fish alive. It's the non-fish-keepers that should be informed. And luckily, I have very few friends who have fish.

So, maybe someone else would like to do this too? I know it will most likely have a miniscule effect, but maybe I could get some good knowledge flowing out there.

I think it's worth a shot.

So, what do you guys think?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So... I guess this was a dumb idea. I'll take that from the 42 views and no comments. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady View Post
So... I guess this was a dumb idea. I'll take that from the 42 views and no comments. Thanks.
NO! It's not a dumb idea! I think you should do it! If I was on Facebook more pften I would do the same thing! You could always make a group too. That would be excellent!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely!!! I think it's a great idea! I think it's pretty great that your doing this! I think I will do the same
Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's a great idea, I keep getting told in work, "goldfish will only grow as big as their tank" and when I say they are cruel I'm wrong!!! I'd definitely 'friend' you and share
Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh awesome! I was kind of getting worried that no one commented on it. But, I will definitely do this. I just need to get a list together of a bunch of rumors and then start looking for good articles/journals to debunk. Guess I'll start a new thread.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I could start a Facebook group. Would people actually be interested in joining?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't take the lack of replies to heart, this place has fits and starts of activity.

I think it's a great idea, I for one would join up.

Would have to be more than a weekly update to build an audience though.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would too!!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
I'd join too...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com