Deck Stain/Waterproofer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just finished staining/sealing my deck with Olympic Maximum Tinted Waterproofing Sealant and I am impressed!

It wasn't real cheap at $19/gallon, but the results look great!

Just a note for anyone looking to get rid of the grey deck.

Sounds good, Bearfan! I just had a new deck built last week. It has to "dry" for 30 days, minimum, before it can be stained. Has your deck been stained before? Is this a product that you can use on a brand new deck?

My deck is in sad shape and needs to be sanded and refinished, so I will definitely file this info for when we "get a round tuit" :D

my decks in pretty bad condition too. its like splintering and the stain looks so fake. like dry brown paint with texture?

do you have a before/after pic? that should really add to the effect

Just finished staining/sealing my deck with Olympic Maximum Tinted Waterproofing Sealant and I am impressed!

My wife and I have seriously been considering this, what color did you go with?
Any chance of a pic?

Mind you, this deck was in BAD shape after the previous owner never even sealed it in 10 years. The decking was almost ashen it was so weathered.

Also, it hasn't dried 100% yet and the color will somewhat normalize when it does. I plan this as treatment #1, and in two years I will clean it again and it restain/reseal it. It should look a lot better in a couple of years.

The wood was real "thirsty" but the entire decking only took 2 gallons.

This is the "Honey Gold" color.

Attachments

• dscn1826_161.jpg
    dscn1826_161.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 23
  • dscn1828_140.jpg
    dscn1828_140.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 26
  • dscn1830_303.jpg
    dscn1830_303.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 25
The middle level is actually painted around the hot tub deck and all, so I'm pretty much stuck repainting that, but oh well. That's another project for another day. I've got a bathroom to remodel next.

The first 2 pics could be my deck! Exact same decking, railing, balusters, everything. I did a doubletake when I clicked on the first pic. Thanks, this gives me some real life pics to show my wife. My wood is also very old and "thirsty" I know it will take a good bit of stain/sealant to cover it all. I haven't sealed it for two years, but in the past it has taken about four gallons of sealant. It's a big job, but I have to do it wether I stain/seal or just seal. My wife will have the last word on if it gets color or not, but I'll be the one doing all the work!

I am thinking that when we refinish our deck we ought to put some sort of light colored epoxy coating on it, since it is around the pool and the deck will burn the hide off your feet in the summer - I have to put outdoor rugs on it so the kids can walk out there. Don't mean to hijack, but anybody painted their deck?

Bearfan said:
I've got a bathroom to remodel next.

:lol: That's how it started for us, about 5 years ago, seriously! First a bathroom remodel, then the other bathroom, then the kitchen, then all new paint throughout the house, then all new hardwood floors, then all new leather living room furniture, then a few weeks ago, the new deck, then yesterday -- brand new oak dining room set! Whew!

TankGirl, our old deck was painted about 8 years ago. The wood couldn't breathe anymore, so it rotted. After only a few years, the paint peeled up in big sheets. There was no way I was going out on it this year, since it swayed a bit! So we just got a nice new one, and now we will definitely stain it instead of painting.

Well that is good to know, Deb. Maybe we'd be better off replacing the deck with that composite recycled milk jug stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom