Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
So true! Just because 'the sales person said it was ok' doesn't mean it is. Pet and fish stores are a business trying to make a profit. The sale persons job is to sell as many fish and accessories as they can.
This is something I've weighed heavily since I am planning to open my own store one day. I'm going to advise people the best I can, but if some guy wants to put a trio of oscars in his 55g I'll suggest against it but I am not going to stop him, I'd like to stay in business.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey

This is something I've weighed heavily since I am planning to open my own store one day. I'm going to advise people the best I can, but if some guy wants to put a trio of oscars in his 55g I'll suggest against it but I am not going to stop him, I'd like to stay in business.
That's the one reason I couldn't do it. I couldn't hold my tongue. You're a brave man wanting to do something like that. My parents where in retail for 25 years (owner/managers of multiple small grocery stores) and I can tell you the amount of complete idiots they encountered was incredible. I worked in retail for 6 years before having kids and I don't think I could go back. The customer is always right. Ha! What a joke!

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey

I think that you would attract a better and more loyal group of customers if you did tell them no. They would see that you're not just in it for the money and there fore would spend more with you in the long run. I went in recently to look at plants and was told by the sales person if I wasn't willing to do fertilizer or upgrade my lights the plant I was looking at wasn't for me. I respect that. More so than letting me walk out the door wasting my money on plants I would end up killing.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani

I think that you would attract a better and more loyal group of customers if you did tell them no. They would see that you're not just in it for the money and there fore would spend more with you in the long run. I went in recently to look at plants and was told by the sales person if I wasn't willing to do fertilizer or upgrade my lights the plant I was looking at wasn't for me. I respect that. More so than letting me walk out the door wasting my money on plants I would end up killing.
My lfs owner tells me no all the time lol. But with important things. I wanted to put a stingray in a 125g but my nitrates were too high, cause of the ugf. He said lower the nitrates then well talk. What petco would let a 150$ sale walk out the store??
Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait54

My lfs owner tells me no all the time lol. But with important things. I wanted to put a stingray in a 125g but my nitrates were too high, cause of the ugf. He said lower the nitrates then well talk. What petco would let a 150$ sale walk out the store??
I guess that is one of the differences between an owner operated business and a franchise?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya I love that place I go like 3-4 times a week. He gives me free fish and plants too lol.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think here it depends who you talk to. We have 3, one I would never step foot in again. Another I avoid because its owned and run by the same people.

The third is my only option and isn't perfect but my experiences are different depending on the person I talk to. There's a rather young man working most days that attempts to talk with scientific names to sound experienced but asking rather basic questions gets quite hit and miss answers. Their fish are usually healthy though one thing I hate is that for 24hours after fish delivery they leave any "floaters" in the tanks before they take them out and do a tally of dead for their supplier.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I think here it depends who you talk to. We have 3, one I would never step foot in again. Another I avoid because its owned and run by the same people.

The third is my only option and isn't perfect but my experiences are different depending on the person I talk to. There's a rather young man working most days that attempts to talk with scientific names to sound experienced but asking rather basic questions gets quite hit and miss answers. Their fish are usually healthy though one thing I hate is that for 24hours after fish delivery they leave any "floaters" in the tanks before they take them out and do a tally of dead for their supplier.
That's terrible. Business is business for them I suppose.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

There are 5 around me. One I refuse to go to after the way I was treated by the manager and two that are my favorite. The two I prefer to go to have excellent customer service. Their stocking advise is crap and their staff are undertrained but they are helpful, will order things in and it's a clean well kept shop.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have many but i only go to 2 near me. One is a reef store and i like it, but i really dont. They try and help but sometimes they give HORRID advice. One guy there said he has a 30 gal reef with 15 fish in there. He says that if you have proper filtration and crud like that you can shove that many fish in the tank. They also try to sell me things that i really dont want or need. They are good because their prices are really good, and they have lots of corals and frags for cheap!

The other store is a 9/10. They are GREAT! They sell all sorts of pets from snakes to puppys, and it is a snall family owned store. Everything is always clean, and every fish i have gotten from there has been great. The only reason i give them a 9/10 is because they dont show much enthusiasm, and the owner and his wife are not the most engaging people, which is bad for their buisness IMO. They give great advice and everything. It is a great store, and if they were a little bit more interested in their customers i would give them a 10/10 for sure.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com