Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I think that people often expect too much out of LFS workers, especially the big box ones. It's like going to an auto parts store, the guys there may be able to help a bit, but I wouldn't trust them to diagnose a problem on a car like a trained mechanic would.
The problem is, they offer the advice uninvited when you just ask where to find things. If you're a newbie, these people sound so authoritative that it's easy to think they know what they're talking about.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think a lot of them are just trying their best. There are 2 stores here that I'll go to. The one I buy all my fish from is run by one man and he kinda knows what he is talking about. I was actually surprised when he told me he was cycling one of his tanks! However, this is the same one who told me that I could put a school of Tiger Barbs in a 10g. The other is a pet shop that has dogs, cats, small animals, etc. I like dealing with them because they are always willing to help me out. I wanted some Jungle Val last week and I inquired to one of the employees. He promptly called their supplier and ordered two for me. That's what I call service! I was debating some plants to get and they actually steered me away from a sword for my 10g. I knew it would get pretty big, but the fact that the lady would lose a sell before she made money on an unsuitable plant made me respect them a lot more.

Now I don't think either store knows the in's and out's of stocking, compatibility, etc. but I personally don't expect them to. However, it is like jeta has pointed out. We should not expect these people to know everything about every fish, plant, and piece of equipment they stock. I mean, the auto parts store employee versus the trained mechanic was a right on comparison. If you want a wealth of knowledge about something, hop on here and ask a question or consult a local breeder. Please DO NOT gripe about how your LFS doesn't know anything. These people do not eat, sleep, and breathe fish like some of us on here do. Cut them some slack!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I get the best advice from fellow fishkeepers.

I get the next best advice from my lfs (mom and pop).

I used to get just plain bad advice from the lps (chain stores) and haven't asked them anything in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly View Post
The problem is, they offer the advice uninvited when you just ask where to find things. If you're a newbie, these people sound so authoritative that it's easy to think they know what they're talking about.
Let's not forget that they are just part of the endless cycle. They are little robots repeating what they've learned from their supervisor, who learned from their supervisor, and so on. I don't blame the staff. I blame the original person who shared ridiculous ideas and I blame upper management for not caring enough to offer valid information to their customers.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

My LFS will give advice and one personwill say one thing the next says the exact opposite. Like really? One day I bought a light fixture. They said it was perfect for my plants! I called back because of the wattage. They said it was not adaquet. BTW my plnats are growing in amazing.
I have also been told that 2 seperate fish on 2 seperate occasions would eat or not eat my RCS then another person said the opposite.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's a tough deal. If every fish store hired only 'experts' many of us would no longer be able to afford the hobby. Experts tend to be professionals and professionals are expensive.

Then there's the thought that this is a hobby over-stocked with opinions and experiences. People by nature are hesitant to enter a debate with enough open-mindedness to accept coming out of the debate with a new opinion. I guess I'm also saying that people will think that lfs employee is an idiot for saying things that my uncle has been saying for years, and he's been keeping and greasing cichlids for 40+ years.

I think I get the point of this thread, and it's to treat people the way you'd like to be treated. If you disagree with someone then don't degrade them. It's the perfect opportunity for possibly both of you to learn something. And let's face it, most people on here are probably more knowledgeable on these topics than most 18 year old lfs workers who really just want to finish college. But few of us are fish store employees. There's a reason for that.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh! And my uncle doesn't grease cichlids, but he does breed them! Lol! Sorry. Fat fingered that on my phone.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. My original thought was to differentiate between general pets stores and specialty fish stores. Most of the replies have taken this in a better direction - appreciating differences at the individual level - common sense I guess. I just was hoping to get some positive thoughts / experiences out there with the specialty shops - would hate to see them go away. Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's a good point too. I'm just more interested in what they offer, how they keep their fish and of course prices. Not so much personalities.

Good thread.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I have a great LFS that I deal with. I make sure I go in on Friday or Saturday when the owner is in since he is great to deal with. I do all my business with him and he is very accommodating and helpful. He will special order anything I want or need if it's available and gives me deals on prices. He actually just got a Motoro ray in he is trying to convince me to buy at his cost. Great store and guy to deal with, long live LFS. I dont even bother dealing with chain stores anymore.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan
I understand where you are going with that but this is different. They should know how to care for fish. They should love them if they work in this field!
I agree

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com