Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok well in the wild some animals are eaten. But I am out of this discussion. I am afraid I am the odd man out and am making people mad which was not my intentions. Everything I say is going to be taken out of context. Best of luck to yall.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #62
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adadkins1 View Post
Only live food I'll ever used is mosquito larvae.
I'm not even particularly anti-live food, as a lot of the wild caught fish I get are accustomed to it. I attempt to transition them, but some still don't do well unless they have something wiggling. I guess it's less of a contentious subject when we are talking microworms, daphia, or baby brine shrimp, but still.

When I first got my EBJD he would only eat feeders. It took about 2 weeks of transitioning to get him over to pellets. The pickerel that I get in are predators, but even they can move over to pellets if the presentation is right.

Like I said, I'm not really against feeders, just trying to put a spotlight on the practice itself. Bashing one part of a store about ethical treatment and then ignoring another because it has been there forever is kinda lopsided. The same thing comes to mind when people complain about fish bred for deformity (balloon mollies, etc). There is a strong sentiment against them but everyone completely ignores the fact that fancy goldfish are some of the greatest examples of this practice, they've just been around so long that no one notices.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #63
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Here's how you deal with it, be it a LFS or chain;

LOOK FIRST. Get an idea of the selection they have, see what you like

RESEARCH. See if what you like is compatible in your set up

BUY. You've done the leg work, enjoy the fish.

Both of the LFSs and chains I frequent now know not to try and talk me into or out of a sale. I've edumacated their employees enough, in front of their bosses and customers that they know I have a clue.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey

Amen to that, we all need those. I have a LFS here that has a good selection of fish and the owners are knowledgeable and pretty friendly, but the prices are sometimes hard for me to justify. It really adds up when you are getting 4-6 schoolers at 8-10 bucks each lol.
Ya their rainbow fish are about 12$ a pop and the new glow fish are 7$ each. But knowing they don't have a disease is priceless. I don't even use a qt with them. Obviously when I get into SW I will have to though.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait54 View Post
Ya their rainbow fish are about 12$ a pop and the new glow fish are 7$ each. But knowing they don't have a disease is priceless. I don't even use a qt with them. Obviously when I get into SW I will have to though.
I agree, I'll pay just a tad more per fish since I've never gotten any sick ones from my LFS. However it does get quiet extreme!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adadkins1

I agree, I'll pay just a tad more per fish since I've never gotten any sick ones from my LFS. However it does get quiet extreme!
Yep but for the most part most common fish like barbs and tetras are sometimes 99 cents each. But I like them so much cause they'll order any kind of fancy pleco to hard to find dwarf cichlids.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree 100000% with DragonFish71, do your research and make an educated buy.

Reminds me of the quote "Facts are many, but the Truth is one". No matter how much of an expert your talking to, he's human too, and even tho the expert may be trying to give you pure fact, it may not always be true. Everyones capable of error and the experts are no exception.

I have run into some idiots tho and I'd be lying if I said I never ran into an LFS worker with less than accurate "advise"...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #68
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'm pretty upset that the buger flipper at McDonalds didn't warn me that eating Big Mac's would cause me to get fat. Should have done some research on my own.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a love/hate relationship with my LFS. I hate the advise they tend to give out, but I LOVE buy one, get one free fish thursdays... LOL

I'd take a mom & pop shop over a chain anytime. chain pet stores eek me out sometimes. such a huge place, one wall full of tanks with one or two fish in each. I feel like someones watching me on camera and as soon as a buy a fish and walk out he's gonna come running out the back room with the same exact fish to replace it. in the time that I'm in the store I see 20 dogs walk in, but only 4 or 5 exit... like a whole Dr. Frankenstein thing going on haha...

in my experience the employees always give off the "I'm a genious and your just a common idiot" vibe at big box stores as opposed to being taken care of at the smaller places, even tho the info may not be accurate, it feels good when you see they are at least trying.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I'm pretty upset that the buger flipper at McDonalds didn't warn me that eating Big Mac's would cause me to get fat. Should have done some research on my own.
Bahahahaha!!!

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com