Defending the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
I think that people often expect too much out of LFS workers, especially the big box ones. It's like going to an auto parts store, the guys there may be able to help a bit, but I wouldn't trust them to diagnose a problem on a car like a trained mechanic would.

The problem is, they offer the advice uninvited when you just ask where to find things. If you're a newbie, these people sound so authoritative that it's easy to think they know what they're talking about.

I think a lot of them are just trying their best. There are 2 stores here that I'll go to. The one I buy all my fish from is run by one man and he kinda knows what he is talking about. I was actually surprised when he told me he was cycling one of his tanks! However, this is the same one who told me that I could put a school of Tiger Barbs in a 10g. The other is a pet shop that has dogs, cats, small animals, etc. I like dealing with them because they are always willing to help me out. I wanted some Jungle Val last week and I inquired to one of the employees. He promptly called their supplier and ordered two for me. That's what I call service! I was debating some plants to get and they actually steered me away from a sword for my 10g. :eek: I knew it would get pretty big, but the fact that the lady would lose a sell before she made money on an unsuitable plant made me respect them a lot more.

Now I don't think either store knows the in's and out's of stocking, compatibility, etc. but I personally don't expect them to. However, it is like jeta has pointed out. We should not expect these people to know everything about every fish, plant, and piece of equipment they stock. I mean, the auto parts store employee versus the trained mechanic was a right on comparison. If you want a wealth of knowledge about something, hop on here and ask a question or consult a local breeder. Please DO NOT gripe about how your LFS doesn't know anything. These people do not eat, sleep, and breathe fish like some of us on here do. Cut them some slack! :D

I get the best advice from fellow fishkeepers.

I get the next best advice from my lfs (mom and pop).

I used to get just plain bad advice from the lps (chain stores) and haven't asked them anything in years.

The problem is, they offer the advice uninvited when you just ask where to find things. If you're a newbie, these people sound so authoritative that it's easy to think they know what they're talking about.

Let's not forget that they are just part of the endless cycle. They are little robots repeating what they've learned from their supervisor, who learned from their supervisor, and so on. I don't blame the staff. I blame the original person who shared ridiculous ideas and I blame upper management for not caring enough to offer valid information to their customers.

My LFS will give advice and one personwill say one thing the next says the exact opposite. Like really? One day I bought a light fixture. They said it was perfect for my plants! I called back because of the wattage. They said it was not adaquet. BTW my plnats are growing in amazing.
I have also been told that 2 seperate fish on 2 seperate occasions would eat or not eat my RCS then another person said the opposite.

It's a tough deal. If every fish store hired only 'experts' many of us would no longer be able to afford the hobby. Experts tend to be professionals and professionals are expensive.

Then there's the thought that this is a hobby over-stocked with opinions and experiences. People by nature are hesitant to enter a debate with enough open-mindedness to accept coming out of the debate with a new opinion. I guess I'm also saying that people will think that lfs employee is an idiot for saying things that my uncle has been saying for years, and he's been keeping and greasing cichlids for 40+ years.

I think I get the point of this thread, and it's to treat people the way you'd like to be treated. If you disagree with someone then don't degrade them. It's the perfect opportunity for possibly both of you to learn something. And let's face it, most people on here are probably more knowledgeable on these topics than most 18 year old lfs workers who really just want to finish college. But few of us are fish store employees. There's a reason for that.

Oh! And my uncle doesn't grease cichlids, but he does breed them! Lol! Sorry. Fat fingered that on my phone.

Thanks for all the replies. My original thought was to differentiate between general pets stores and specialty fish stores. Most of the replies have taken this in a better direction - appreciating differences at the individual level - common sense I guess. I just was hoping to get some positive thoughts / experiences out there with the specialty shops - would hate to see them go away. Thanks again for all the replies.

That's a good point too. I'm just more interested in what they offer, how they keep their fish and of course prices. Not so much personalities.

Good thread.

I have a great LFS that I deal with. I make sure I go in on Friday or Saturday when the owner is in since he is great to deal with. I do all my business with him and he is very accommodating and helpful. He will special order anything I want or need if it's available and gives me deals on prices. He actually just got a Motoro ray in he is trying to convince me to buy at his cost. Great store and guy to deal with, long live LFS. I dont even bother dealing with chain stores anymore.

GodFan said:
I understand where you are going with that but this is different. They should know how to care for fish. They should love them if they work in this field!

I agree

My LFS will give advice and one personwill say one thing the next says the exact opposite. Like really? One day I bought a light fixture. They said it was perfect for my plants! I called back because of the wattage. They said it was not adaquet. BTW my plnats are growing in amazing.
I have also been told that 2 seperate fish on 2 seperate occasions would eat or not eat my RCS then another person said the opposite.

That's what happens when you ask for opinions. Everyone has one, and they are often different. In a lot of cases, especially the ones often presented in fishkeeping (stocking, equipment, etc) there really isn't a right or wrong answer. Maybe one guy had an experience or heard of someone whose RCS got eaten by their fish, maybe the other guy didn't.

Everyone has different situations and beliefs about certain things. And in more recent years, the idea of tank stocking has become more about giving the fish the most adequate home possible rather than seeing how many fish you can safely cram into a tank.

Each forum or community has it's own idea of what 'works', and a general consensus forms for certain things. Some forums and groups think its totally fine to keep a betta in a minimum of 2 gallon tank, and others would cut you to pieces for even suggesting to put one in something smaller than a heated filtered 5g.

Some people act like its a mortal sin to even suggest putting something like a school of zebra danios in a 10g. It's not something I would do personally, but it's not going to kill or hurt them, and with proper care they will be just fine, albeit cramped.

The moral of the story is that you'll always find a lot of 'wrongs' in this hobby when you look at it in a right or wrong context.

savage said:
Oh! And my uncle doesn't grease cichlids, but he does breed them! Lol! Sorry. Fat fingered that on my phone.

Just to show you how little I know, I almost googled 'greasing cichlids' LOL!

I like your point savage. I agree. I do still think that people could be more educated when they work in this field. Petsmart trains its employees on this stuff so you know they could train them to do things different when better methods are found.
Also Jetajockey, I hope you dont take this wrong but I have issues with you statement that you would sell a fish to a person knowing that their tank is unsuitable. My LFS will deny people if their tank is unsuitable. To knowingly sell a fish to someone who cannot or will not take care of it is unethical. I would respect you more for not selling it. Now if you were going against commonly accepted knowledge, like for example saying a zebra danio would not be ok in a 20 long, then I would get mad and quiet possibly not come back. Its all about if you use common sense and politeness.

I like your point savage. I agree. I do still think that people could be more educated when they work in this field. Petsmart trains its employees on this stuff so you know they could train them to do things different when better methods are found.
Also Jetajockey, I hope you dont take this wrong but I have issues with you statement that you would sell a fish to a person knowing that their tank is unsuitable. My LFS will deny people if their tank is unsuitable. To knowingly sell a fish to someone who cannot or will not take care of it is unethical. I would respect you more for not selling it. Now if you were going against commonly accepted knowledge, like for example saying a zebra danio would not be ok in a 20 long, then I would get mad and quiet possibly not come back. Its all about if you use common sense and politeness.

All you can do is educate a person and hope for the best. It isn't the sellers right to deny their customer a fish. Tell them that it isn't smart or optimum, if they want the fish anyway then that is their problem.

It's your right to disagree. I was making a point that 'commonly accepted knowledge' varies from community to community. Not every community or forum group thinks zebra danios should be in a 20L minimum, just this one happens to, and even some people disagree with the general consensus here.

And yes, I would sell 2 oscars to someone with a 55g tank. I'd explain why a 55 wouldn't be a good permanent home and how they'd need to upgrade or rehome at some point, but I'm not going to flat out refuse a sale to someone. It's not like they are telling me they are going to slam dunk the fish bag out in the parking lot, that'd be a different story. I'm not going to have customers thinking they have to reach some sort of bar with me in order to get some of my fish, with the seasoned customers knowing they just have to tell me what I want to hear to keep me happy. I refuse to go into stores with owners that act that way and I am not running a store like that.

And if your LFS denies people who have unsuitable tanks for the fish they sell, I assume they don't sell any feeders? Or do feeder fish not count when it comes to ethical treatment?

adadkins1 said:
All you can do is educate a person and hope for the best. It isn't the sellers right to deny their customer a fish. Tell them that it isn't smart or optimum, if they want the fish anyway then that is their problem.

Exactly! Jeta's talking about informing the customer just not stopping them if they choose to ignore the information. Businesses, including pet and fish stores, need to make a profit to stay afloat. Refusing to sell to customers is bad for business. You need to educate the customer to steer them in the right direction without offending them to have them never return. Some stores do it better than others.

Back
Top Bottom