Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Have you tried testing your tap? Who knows how much of this terrifying chemical your city is pumping into your home! As far as controlling it in home aquaria, I have found that exposure to air and heat can reduce the amount of this chemical, but once the tank gets topped off it just goes right back up.

[best thread ever?]

Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I even tried going to a spring to collect water. I tested it and the DHMO levels were still off the charts! It seems as though this chemical has made it into all water supplies. I'm dreading to see the long term effect on our fish.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I have used varying dessicants in the lab to remove DHMO from organic solutions, but they are not as effective in inorganic solutions such as exist in aquaria. I also believe these would probably do way more harm than good to our fish, despite the dangers of DHMO.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm starting to think the Conspiracy Theorists were right all along, this dangerous Chemical is everywhere. I'm going to go put on my tin foil hat now.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ziggs,

"Historically, the dangers of DHMO, for the most part, have been considered minor and manageable. While the more significant dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide are currently addressed by a number of agencies including FDA, FEMA and CDC, public awareness of the real and daily dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide is lower than some think it should be.
Critics of government often cite the fact that many politicians and others in public office do not consider Dihydrogen Monoxide to be a "politically beneficial" cause to get behind, and so the public suffers from a lack of reliable information on just what DHMO is and why they should be concerned. Part of the blame lies with the public and society at large. Many do not take the time to understand Dihydrogen Monoxide, and what it means to their lives and the lives of their families.
Unfortunately, the dangers of DHMO have increased as world population has increased, a fact that the raw numbers and careful research both bear out. Now more than ever, it is important to be aware of just what the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide are and how we can all reduce the risks faced by ourselves and our families."

~dhmo.org
Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Many people encourage frequent consumption of DHMO. This practice is extremely dangerous as DHMO poisoning will occur!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com