Diary of a Frog Tank (more pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frog tank looks great. I have been looking at seting up a few myself. First one will most likely be a whites but also would like a few tanks with dart frogs. Have a ten gallon tank set up now with either a common gray or cope's gray tree frog. I really enjoy the frog. Started with it last year at this time from a tadpole, scooped from my inlaws pool before treatment. My daughter wanted to have a few. The frog is now slightly bigger than my thumbnail.

img_390186_0_fb9c5f4bed8af64af8ab52a7d54d78d4.jpg

aww. so tiny! My fiancee wanted bring an outdoor treefrog inside, but I am afriad of diseases. If you raised this one from tadpole, you shouldn't have to worry about it at all.

Here are some more pics. I have one of Lilly taken tonight. (shes posing for the camera) I have a pic of two of my old Tree Frogs. The small one always loved to annoy the big one...I miss them....*sniff* The final picture is of my old Tomato Frog enjoying his favorite spot in my old frog tank: the waterfall. I miss him too.

Attachments

• lilly1.jpg
    lilly1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 188
  • fargher_pzhap.jpg
    fargher_pzhap.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 195
  • wheelus1.jpg
    wheelus1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 201
water fall broke...gotta figure out whats wrong with the pump. The Frogs have been using the plastic leaves to go #2 on so that makes cleaning up after them a snap. so far everything is good!

-Matt

Lilly, The big One-eyed Girl has been throwing herself at the screen top for the last few days. All day long thats all she does. I don't know why she is doing it, perhaps she is looking for a large pool of water to lay eggs in or something I Don't know. She has bruised her lip in the process though. I need to find a way to get her to stop doing that or perhaps make it safer for her.

Poor lilly :( Its too bad you can't just ask her whats the matter. It would make things so much easier. :D

RocketSeason said:
Lilly, The big One-eyed Girl has been throwing herself at the screen top for the last few days. All day long thats all she does. I don't know why she is doing it, perhaps she is looking for a large pool of water to lay eggs in or something I Don't know. She has bruised her lip in the process though. I need to find a way to get her to stop doing that or perhaps make it safer for her.
'

you could consider lowering some of the decorations so she doesn't have as much height to leap at the top screen. If she's searching for a place to lay eggs, could a general rearangement of her surroundings help? maybe make things just different enough to her that she'd consider something a better place to lay.... just thinking outloud.

not bad Ideas Billy. although I doubt lowering the decorations will do it cause she climbs up the glass and jumps off from there as well as from the plants.

I think I am going to add a large short tupperware of water with a couple inches of water in the bottom. she may like that better than the little dish they have now.

Hobbes (the male frog) has been going nuts singing to her lately too.

That's really nice looking, I like it. I was at a LFS and they sell frogs and I've have interest in them frogs or even a lizard.

What's was the cost of your setup not including the tank? How much are water falls? Are those plants live?'

Also, I got a 10g acrylic flat back hex tank, would that be good for two small frogs?

If you got any good links so I can do some research would be sweet.

If you find some good links let me know!

:wink:

Seriously though, I haven't found much on the net about frogs at all. As far as how much stuff costs:
The setup as shown is about 350 bucks or so. That includes the tank, hood, and stand. Without that, your looking at about 200 bucks worth of stuff.
25 bucks for the waterfall
15 bucks for the screen top
30 bucks for the heating pad
20 bucks for the fake tree limb
15 bucks for the two water dishes
15 bucks for the reptile carpet
20 bucks for the various fake plants.
20 bucks for the bendy fake vines.
25 bucks for the humidifier and air pump.
a couple of bucks for some large smooth polished rocks
How much is all of that? :roll:

The Plants are fake, the tree limbs are fake as well. makes for easy cleaning and they are resistant to mold.

I would not recommend a ten gallon Hex for any frog. Tree frogs need more room and chubby frogs need more floor space. A normal 10 gallon tank would be great for a Chubby frog, But not for Whites (Dumpy) tree Frogs.

I would say that 1 Whites tree frog would require a 20 High tank and 2 whites would require a 29 gallon tank. Whites get very active at night and they need some room to move.

Good to know. I guess i won't be getting frogs anytime soon. Maybe when a bigger tank falls in my lap I'll keep some frogs.

Keeping frogs isn't cheap either, just like stating a fish tank. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom