Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did wikipedia actually give decent info?

Just pulled this up on wikipedia. Cant believe it. Now if only your local lfs did the same so new hobbyists had some knowledge.

The "inches to gallons" ethic may still be applicable for, say, ten 1-inch fishes in a ten-gallon aquarium, as their total biomass would occupy very little of the available square inches of space.

Similarly, if the number of fish an aquarium impedes free movement, or if territorial disputes frequently occur, growth will retard in response to the restrictive environment. In addition, increased susceptibility to disease or a disease-like state will be conferred upon cohabitants. In overpopulated tanks, it becomes difficult to maintain healthful water parameters; metabolic waste (excrement) accumulates rapidly, even when a highly efficient filter is employed. Frequent gravel vacuuming is required to keep nitrate and nitrite levels within acceptable parameters. Although bona fide infectious diseases such as Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Ick) do not spontaneously appear due to overcrowding itself, a disease-state results from elevated nitrates. Fish will gasp at the surface in a futile attempt to absorb oxygen because the elevated nitrates block the metabolism of oxygen from the water i.e., the fish begin to suffocate. Also, in crowded aquariums, there is often an increased incidence of fin-nipping, which can lead to infection, decreased fitness, elevated stress and death.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Haha I don't know why everyone avoids wikipedia so much. I use it a lot! Lots of good info on there, but I have to say, some bad stuff too

Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wiki is only as good as the people inputting the information. That's why, as George says, you get good info sometimes and bad info at other times.

Your tank cannot be complete without a pleco. It's IMPOSSIBLE.
Scott F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i dont like to use wiki. everyone can edit it. and some people like messing with articles...
Old 05-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use it as a foundation to build upon but that quote is spot on!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com