Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Rach101
...diet...dear god.. help me

Alright!!!!! I have to go on a low fat diet and have lots of excer-ma-size... just kill me now! So.. apparently i can have no more pastas.. candy.. and none of that good stuff.. Im okay with vegetables and fruits, love em.. their just so darn expensive.. and now the mapping out of my diet has been left to moi.. Im doomed.. @.@

We are far to young and clever
-too* in retrospect the irony hurts
Old 04-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
I won't ell you what i just had then.

Old 04-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
So cruel..
Old 04-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker

First things first, you need to understand how insulin works...

A low fat diet is usually a misnomer. Foods that are advertised as low in fat usually have tons of sugar added to make up for the loss in flavor.

If you have high blood sugar, this can complicate things as well. For instance, you'll probably want to avoid certain fruits with a high Glycemic Index value (high GI). Try to eat more vegetables. I can spend lees than $10 where I live and have enough brocolli, celery and apples to last me a week.

The key to understanding losing weight is to understand how your body uses and stores energy. Forget about any fad diet. They are all a bunch of crap. The only way to really lose weight is to figure out how everything works together and then work it out like a math equation.

In a nutshell, you need to keep control of your blood sugar and insulin (they tell the body to store or release fat). And keep your calories at a good maintainance level. You should be able to get a ballpark number here. I can give you information to get exact numbers if you really want, but an estimate should be a good start. Make sure that you use the weight that you want to be at and not your current weight. If the weight you want to be at is more than 25 pounds less than what you are now, then use half of the difference (I'll explain this later) for your "target" maintainance weight. Also use the "sedentary" value as it will give you a bare bones number and not one based on intangible numbers.

Here are a couple links dealing with calories and dieting...

Whatever you do, don't starve yourself. If you don't get enough calories, your body will go into starvation mode. Your metabolism will slow down because it thinks it is starving. Your body will then start to store energy (since it is starving and will need it later to survive). By the way, stored energy is also known as fat. When starving, your metabolism slows and muscle is consumed (catabolism) to support the body. Muscle is the primary consumer of calories; you start losing it and your calorie requirements drop radically.

I don't know what your personality type is, but if you can research enough of this (PM me if you want more info, I have TONS) so that you understand it the rest is a peice of cake.

Or not. Understanding is the beginning. You have to have the will power to resist the Krispy Kremes and peanut m&m's. That's a whole different story though.

If you need any info concerning exercise, let me know. I can give you more info than you'll be able to use. For instance; how to time your cardio exercises to synchronize with your lowest glycogen levels to maximize fat mobilization. there are other points I could make, but I'm not going to type them out unless you're interested.

As far as food is concerned, I can offer lots of advice as well. Find out what your caloric needs are and I'll provide you with a simple system to keep everything incheck so you can eat what you want (diabetic no-no's aside) and still be on track for your target weight.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to flipz
hey rach, check out www.allrecipes.com

that is their "delicious ways to control diabetes" cookbook - and it's completely free. just select what kind of meal you want at the top, or scroll through and pick something. if you know how to cook, it will really help. if not... you might need to learn.

also deli already kind of said this... but you really need to watch what fruits and vegetables you eat. things like potatoes have just as many carbs (sugar) as any candy bar... therefore are still really bad for diabetes.

Come join the Ohio forum on AA!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
i feel your pain. my husband and I joined weight watchers a few months back and we both have been losing weight (even with occasional lapses), and my mother lost 30 lbs a few years ago doing the program too. just hang in there!! just cutting a few things out of your diet (like sugary sodas, or reducing how much fast food you eat) can make a big difference.
allrecipes is a cool site. foodtv.com has some good recipes too. calorie commando specializes in lower fat/calorie food.
Fish are friends, not food

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
Old 04-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

just cutting a few things out of your diet (like sugary sodas, or reducing how much fast food you eat) can make a big difference.
I totally agree! During my last semester of college I switched to diet soda and quit eating fast food just to see what would happen, and I lost all the weight I had packed on in college from eating so crappy, plus a lot more. I ended up losing almost 30 pounds and dropping from a size 12 to a size 4, and I never thought that would be possible for me. I didn't really do anything other than just watch what I was choosing to eat. Not that exercise isn't great- of course you should do that too- but this whole diet thing doesn't have to be such a bummer for you. You'll feel really great when you can get your diabetes under control and the weight starts to come off. Good luck with this, you can do it!

BTW I've kept the weight off for 3 years by not eating any fast food or drinking ANY regular soda (I've actually quit diet soda completely too).
Old 04-18-2005, 02:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
you know ... i am gonna jump in now.
you are going on a low fat diet, but here is a shocker ... your body NEEDS certain types of fats.

as for cuttin gout your pastas ... no ... not needed to be done
see, i wish the thought process would get away from "i have to stop eating this, that and the other thing" and start to go towards the BETTER thought process of "MODERATION, MODERATION, MODERATION!!!" It is really all about moderation and exercise. It has worked for hundreds if not thousands of years. Yes i agree with reducing your fat intake, but i am also a fan of flavoring with FRESH herbs, flavoring with FLAVORED oils, using BUTTER instead of margarine ....

now to go from that one, butter is the way to go. I don't care if you say you can't tell the difference or that margarine is better for you. ( a ) you can taste the difference and ( b ) butter is so much better for you. Lets look at the facts on this one, what are the ingredients for butter? Cream, salt and sometimes they may use a little bit of food coloring so that it isn't so dull looking. Now what is in margarine??? Yes both margarine and butter and both hydrogenated products (there has to be some emulsion of the items) but think of this, what chemical are you injesting into your body to make the margarine soft when refrigerated.

As you can tell, i have a lot of issues with all these "low fat", "low carb" and all these other diets cause they are just a quick fix. i know food, i know what is generally in food and if i don't, i find out as best as i can. i can recommend food up the wazoo to eat for healthier alternatives, but unless thought paterns are changed, i am basically talking to a brick wall.

On a side note, eat chocolate, it is awesome for you, but only CERTAIN chocolates. Go for more expensive ones that have a higher cocoa butter content and is a dark chocolate. Lots of scientific papers on it, suffice it to say, it is actually really beneficial to your body. And whatever you do, stop eating milk chocolate, it is almost as bad as "white chocolate" which really isn't chocolate, but more of a by-product.

Ok ... now i am done my rant, back to your regularily sceduled program
Lunchbox ... "i'm a man, but i can change, if i have to, i guess"

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 04-18-2005, 06:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Heyaz im just sayin what the docter/student o.o; told me. Saidlow fat, need to cut out lot of the suagrs till my blood sugar is stable and situ-ma-waited.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus
take your doctors advice, but remember, low-fat does not equal no-fat. I think that's all the lunchbox was saying. And I agree.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
Closed Thread

die, diet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com