Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #1

Digital Camera Advice- a few more questions...

I want to get a digital camera for christmas.. a NICE one. Of course i have to tell my hubby EXACTLY what to get or he will get the wrong one.. LOL. So i need advice on what pixils to look for.. actually i have no clue what to look for. The only thing i every use is disposable 35mm or my camera phone so i need all the education i an get. I want a good camera that i an use to take pics of my friends, family, AND pets of course. I want ones that will take really good pictures of my fishies too!
oh and if you have any links to specific brands and stuff that i could look at that would be nice as well. Maybe cameras you have and stuff.
Thanks!
ashley

Old 11-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The largest factor on what we can recommend will be how much you want to spend. I can happily recommend the camera I have but you may not want to spend that much.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 11-12-2005, 05:15 PM   #3

I don't want to spend over $200 - 500... i mean cheaper isn't always better.. but i wan't a GOOD camera.. and i have no idea what to look for. Like when it says however many pixils i have no clue what is a good amount? LOL. I know more is better but anyway if you could point me in the right direction..

Old 11-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I haven't been digital camera shopping in almost two years! Hopefully that will change soon!

IMO, 5 megapixels is a good number to start out with. There is a wide variety of cameras in this category. Here's a link:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/5-me...s-ratings.html

Old 11-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Canon Powershot A-85. Its a 4mp camera that takes decent pics. One thing that I like about the Canon is it uses AA batteries, either regular alkaline or the rechargables. Many other types of cameras require special batteries which can be a little spendy. The Canon also uses the compact flash type media card which tend to be a little cheaper then other types of media. In the end it boils down to what type of features you want as well. Most cameras will have macro mode(close-up), but many also short you on the optical zoom. Don't pay too much attention to digital zoom numbers because I find they tend to make images grainier. My camera only has a 3x optical but I wish I would have spent a little more and found one with a 10x optical zoom. Here is alink to a website that I was on for days before I made my decision.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
Old 11-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I currently own the fuji 3200, but this is the upgrade I'm getting for christmas

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=755

(sorry if it looks like I hijacked your source penpitt, but I did).

This one does have the 10x optical zoom and it's just a sweet looking cam IMO.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

With 5-6 mp (and larger) you can pretty much print to just about any size you want with a little PS help, you need to look at features and see what's important to you, and then you need to start reading reviews.

Old 11-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Personally with 500 bucks to spend...If I were buying a non-slr digital, I think I'd be looking very hard at the Canon S2 IS right now. It gets a "Highly Recommended" by dpreview.com and has some really nice features.
Here is a link to the review.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

Old 11-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #9

Thanks everyone!!! Now i have some thinking to do I've always been one to take a lot of pictures but never really into good photography... hmmm maybe i should take a photography class when i get out of RN school? LOL

Old 11-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When buying my digital camera, I went to www.cnet.com. It's a consumer reports kind of site for all tech stuff. Click on the digital camera link. It has articles to help you decide what features are impt to you and how much you want to spend. It also ranks cameras based on their performance and pic quality.

The minimum features I'd recommend are at least 3 megapixels and at least 3 optical zoom. For many cameras you'd be best to buy more memory and rechargable batteries. I got the memory upgrade, AA batteries and charger bundled with my camera on Ebay and saved at least $80. I looked for a refurbished camera as a "Buy it Now"

Good luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
camera

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com