Disaster Averted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleFoot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Chaos reigns in our house.

So we did a big water change on our 55 grow out tank earlier this evening, sometime around 7ish and have been sitting in the next room for the rest of the night.

I went to go to bed and decided to turn on the moonlights to see if I could catch a glimpse of our new eclipse cats. Good freaking thing I did. The center brace was broken, the tank was bowed out and one of the cats was dead.

I ran around like a maniac, shouting "emergency! emergency! this is not a drill" while trying to get the pythons going to drain the dang thing. My partner came in to see what the shouting was all about and helped me bail water. We managed to get the thing drained in under 15 minutes and before it exploded, and the remaining cat and juvie oscar into the bathtub with the filter media, two large sponge filters and the heater.

Disaster averted.

I have no idea when the thing broke, we didn't hear a thing. And I don't know how the other fish didn't get electrocuted, but I'm really, really glad the tank didn't explode. Now we've just got to get them through until I can pick up a new tank tomorrow.

I can't believe that just happened. Moreover, I can't believe it didn't explode.

Chaos reigns in our house.

So we did a big water change on our 55 grow out tank earlier this evening, sometime around 7ish and have been sitting in the next room for the rest of the night.

I went to go to bed and decided to turn on the moonlights to see if I could catch a glimpse of our new eclipse cats. Good freaking thing I did. The center brace was broken, the tank was bowed out and one of the cats was dead.

I ran around like a maniac, shouting "emergency! emergency! this is not a drill" while trying to get the pythons going to drain the dang thing. My partner came in to see what the shouting was all about and helped me bail water. We managed to get the thing drained in under 15 minutes and before it exploded, and the remaining cat and juvie oscar into the bathtub with the filter media, two large sponge filters and the heater.

Disaster averted.

I have no idea when the thing broke, we didn't hear a thing. And I don't know how the other fish didn't get electrocuted, but I'm really, really glad the tank didn't explode. Now we've just got to get them through until I can pick up a new tank tomorrow.

I can't believe that just happened. Moreover, I can't believe it didn't explode.
Oh. My. God. I cannot believe they survived that. I'm glad they did. Are you gonna cycle the tank your are getting soon, or just plop them in?

Ok wow! Glad you moved quick!

Secondly ack! I bought a bowfront off of Craigslist a whole back and the previous owner cut the center brace off :/. Guess we should fix that.

Oh. My. God. I cannot believe they survived that. I'm glad they did. Are you gonna cycle the tank your are getting soon, or just plop them in?

I can't believe they survived either! This oscar has been through so much. His first tank was open topped and he jumped out twice, once I caught the cat licking him. He got moved to a bigger tank with a lid and a jack dempsey. The JD beat the tar out him, to the point where we were sure he was going to die but he bounced right back. And now he's survived electrocution.

It's going to have to be a fish-in cycle on the new tank because I need my bathtub back asap. Both because it's already ungodly hot here and because I'm worried about any lingering soap residue and it's potential to poison my fish.

The fish in the tub is my problem oscar. He's my favorite, but he doesn't get along with any of the other oscars, he tries to eat the fire eels, the JD beat him within an inch of his life, he clearly can't go in with any of my little tropicals, and I've got loaches with ick in the hospital tank so he's s.o.l. poor little buddy.

I've got all of his old substrate in nylons in my 125 and his filter is up and and running in there too so hopefully we'll just have to contend with a mini cycle. *fingers crossed*

I can't believe they survived either! This oscar has been through so much. His first tank was open topped and he jumped out twice, once I caught the cat licking him. He got moved to a bigger tank with a lid and a jack dempsey. The JD beat the tar out him, to the point where we were sure he was going to die but he bounced right back. And now he's survived electrocution.

It's going to have to be a fish-in cycle on the new tank because I need my bathtub back asap. Both because it's already ungodly hot here and because I'm worried about any lingering soap residue and it's potential to poison my fish.

The fish in the tub is my problem oscar. He's my favorite, but he doesn't get along with any of the other oscars, he tries to eat the fire eels, the JD beat him within an inch of his life, he clearly can't go in with any of my little tropicals, and I've got loaches with ick in the hospital tank so he's s.o.l. poor little buddy.

I've got all of his old substrate in nylons in my 125 and his filter is up and and running in there too so hopefully we'll just have to contend with a mini cycle. *fingers crossed*
Poor guy. I hope he makes it through this. Wait a minute... did you just say you have a FIRE EEL?? How do ya take care of him? Are they hard to keep? PM me to tell me some care tips. I am thinking about getting a Fire Eel, never found anyone with too much experience though. Thanks!

Guess your instinct was working overtime when you went to check the tank out. Glad you were able to save your fish...... :flowers:

I must admit, I did get a chuckle out of "emergency, emergency, this is not a drill"........ :oops:

Back
Top Bottom