Discussion of Gender Switches in FW Fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
Recently, I have been seeing a lot of talk about fish (specifically fw livebearers like guppies and platies) switching genders. I mostly have heard anecdotal stories, and while those can be pretty convincing, I would like to open the floor for a discussion of this topic. Specifically, I would like to know if anybody can find actual scientific data or studies about this.
Here is one article I found pertaining to the subject. It is really old, so I am curious what other people think. Most of the gender switch talk starts on the last paragraph of pg. 386.
http://www.genetics.org/content/22/3/376.full.pdf
I would appreciate it if anybody else out there has any newer data or studies that they have found. :)

Thanks for the link. I have read similar things too. I have seen more actual studies about some cichlids seeming to change genders than about livebearers. I am really hoping for a scientific explanation of the mechanisms involved to make a gender change possible or impossible.
Here is the study cited in that thread: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
Its a pretty interesting read.
Anybody find more about livebearers?

EDIT: That study is linked to the thread garfy posted, so go there to read it if my link doesn't work. :)

Back
Top Bottom