Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Distrubing TV documentary about "Crown of Thorns"

I watched this special on Discovery HD about the Crown of Thorns sea star eating the reefs around the world. It was quite disturbing. The Crown of Thorns looks kinda cool and moves really wierd...but it's a monster. They feed only on hard corals. Now for the really bad news.... they've been propogating in record numbers. Large portions of the Great Barrier Reef and other reefs all around the world have been destroyed by this sea star.

One marine biologist has linked the record numbers of these monsters to the use of fertilizers and pesticies. When humans use these on their farms, golf courses, etc....these fertilizers then errode off the land during heavy rains and end up in the waterways and eventually the ocean. The problem with this is that the Crown of Throns sea star loves these chemicals and when subjected to them, they propogate much faster.

They don't know how bad it's going to get but in the mean while they're trying to fight back these monsters. The entire documentary was depressing. THey showed video of completely destroyed reefs. I believe the show was called something about the "Monster destroying the reefs"

75g reef
Old 09-16-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to PBirdsong
Yeah I saw a Documentary with my girlfriend in an IMAX theater that was about the same thing. It IS depressing. My girlfriend is actually studying to be a Marine Biologist . . .

Old 09-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you ever look at a marine map of dying, damaged, and stressed reefs of the world, it is very disturbing. The coral reefs are like the canaries carried into mines. They are frequently located near shore, where man lives, and they are very sensitive to environmental conditions. The ocean is vast, but man's environmental impact of the last 100 years is begining to show up.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I saw that documentary too...it's scary
Join the Eastern PA/Greater Philadelphia Forum! Click here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=7825

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I saw that too a while back. I couldn't believe it! 8O
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com