DIY model rockets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out flying my plane this past weekend and a family came out and did a couple launches. I'm guessing the higher of the two was around 750 feet.

My brother did model rockets when we were kids. I can't remember what the biggest one he had was called, but I know it was black with green letters and was 6 feet tall. His favorite was his "Cherokee" multi engine one. It drifted about 1.5 miles coming down once. Had to search through the wood for it and climb a tree to get it back, but it lived to fly again.

lol, the six footer was probably a "Mean Machine" I have one in a closet over at my parents. I also have a Cherokee kit that I never assembled. It is a 3-stage if I remember correctly

ive launched rockets before, but i didnt feel like buying another cardboard one.

bound_for_obx said:
lol, the six footer was probably a "Mean Machine" I have one in a closet over at my parents. I also have a Cherokee kit that I never assembled. It is a 3-stage if I remember correctly
I was actually going to say mean machine, but I wasn't 100% sure.

You should fire off that cherokee. It flies for-ev-er. Well, not really. But it does go for one heck of a ride.

i was thinking about putting some sand or something in there and see what happens to it.

also if i put sand in there wil it make it more stable, or make ir really irregular (flying pattern)

krap101 said:
i was thinking about putting some sand or something in there and see what happens to it.

also if i put sand in there wil it make it more stable, or make ir really irregular (flying pattern)
I'm guessing you won't want to add sand in it. First off, it adds weight. Weight is bad. I fly electric planes and we count weight in grams. You are already killing yourself on weight by using PVC as your fuselage. Remember that the engines you are going to be using are designed to lift a cardboard and balsa wood rocket (read: extremely lightweight materials).

Not only does the sand add weight, but it also (depending on how much added) will be "fluid" inside the fuselage. Think about a washing machine with an unbalanced load. Ooops.

Last but not least, if this thing fails catastrophically and explodes, you don't want to add to the number of high speed fragments racing towards you.

Maybe you should build some kits before preceding? Get a little good experience so you can better judge your own model?

This thread is making me want to go out and buy a kit - it's SO much fun to play with.
This thread DID make me go out and buy one of the cheap kits..
only a cardboard fuselage recommended c-6-0 engines but i got b-6-2's as it's my first time..
I can see pvc being far to heavy and the only other prob I can see is there is no weight in the nose so guidance will be 0-none.
Friday night now, first launch will be on sunday arvo in the park across the road.
last but not least, if this thing fails catastrophically and explodes, you don't want to add to the number of high speed fragments racing towards you.
The engines are designed to blow at the bottom first then they blow at the top second to pressurise the release of the parachute.
I won't be using a chute as my engines arent to powerful anyway, but besides that there is no chance of hell of anything actually blowing up at all.

anyway, if does explode, you'll be looking at a multi million dollar lawsuit against the makers.
Ill let you know how i go for my first test flight.

Matt.

anyway, if does explode, you'll be looking at a multi million dollar lawsuit against the makers.
Ummm, he is the maker. It's a scratch built model. And the nosecone has a tight fit. Not to mention that it is an untested design with untested materials.

I won't be using a chute as my engines arent to powerful anyway
You'll probably still want to use the parachute to prevent any damage to your rocket and whatever it hits on the way down. They don't come down slow even with the parachute although it does help.

Depending on the size of the kit a B6-2 can put it up in the air 500-1000feet. If the kit came with a chute I would recomend using the chute. Also, cut a hole in the top of the chute at least 1" if not larger. This way the rocket will not drift as far while decending. Especially important if there is even a slight wind. I have lost a few to the tree gods this year. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom