Do fish get bored?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
JW..... I didn't really think this should go in the FW Gen section since it is kind of off the wall lol 0X

lol, I've wondered this too!!! like "are they happy? do they need more stuff to play with?" lol all they do is swim around it's gotta get monotonous!

My sixline doesn't I reckon. He goes over even square centimetre of rock every day looking for microverts and such. The clown and chromis probably do though. :lol:

My puffer explores a lot, but I just wonder if he does get lonely in there. Granted he would probably fight with another one in there eventually, but in the wild they at least interact with other fish... I am really debating trying to get him a buddy

I don't think so, fish have a memory of 2 seconds. It's like living for 2 seconds... How boring is that

I don't think so, fish have a memory of 2 seconds. It's like living for 2 seconds... How boring is that

That's not true. Haven't you ever seen the guy that trained his goldfish to do tricks? My betta comes to the same spot every time to get fed, if he didn't remember anything past two seconds, that'd be impossible.

That's not true. Haven't you ever seen the guy that trained his goldfish to do tricks? My betta comes to the same spot every time to get fed, if he didn't remember anything past two seconds, that'd be impossible.
There is a difference between memory and muscle memory. Muscles have a memory, if u let a fish do a thousand times the same trick the fish will keep doing it. But that does not give *a brain* to the fish.
____
Becouse If I was a fish I would've already killed myself in a fish tank which people some times have (very small I mean). But fish keep living in there. (maybe not soo long)

My puffer knows when I am around the tank too, he comes up to the glass and hangs out with me lol. He also knows when it's time to eat. What is muscle memory?

My puffer knows when I am around the tank too, he comes up to the glass and hangs out with me lol. He also knows when it's time to eat. What is muscle memory?

Do you think when you need to raise your hand? You don't, you just do it (signal to the brain).
Same for the fish, they don't think a minute before eating, they just eat the food they see. And if they see something passing by they go looking. It's not they say "Hi, it's you again".

When they do a thousand times the same thing they get used to it. Fish can't think -> can't get bored. Only people can get bored. But they can get depressed.

Oh ok. Lol I am going to think he says hi to me because i like to think that instead lol :)

But if they can't think, they don't have emotions, therefore I don't see how they could get depressed. Even though unfortunately when I see pics of fish that are poorly kept they do look unhappy.

Oh ok. Lol I am going to think he says hi to me because i like to think that instead lol :)

But if they can't think, they don't have emotions, therefore I don't see how they could get depressed. Even though unfortunately when I see pics of fish that are poorly kept they do look unhappy.
Well, I don't know the details about this, All I know is that it is scientifically proven that fish have a short-memory of 2 seconds.

I also like to think that fish say "hi" instead :p

That is not true rusilja. Unless you provide a link to scientific data, I am not believing it.

Oscars recognize their owners. That is complex facial recognition, not possible with a 2 second memory. In fact it's something humans aren't even born able to do (although facial recognition does occur very soon after birth).

Also, don't some fish "learn" to stay away from some things? How about clowns? If they only had 2 seconds of memory, how would they find their way back to their anemones? What about when fish have "territories"? How would they know where they ended? Or how would other fish know to stay out of a bigger fish's territory? They remember...

I have heard that fish' memories reset, and I also heard that they shut half their brain off when they sleep or soemthing like that... It's cool to watch Alejandro sleep even though it freaks me out sometimes because he looks dead. He is all pale and he just sits on a plant and bobs around in the current lol

I would like to think the territorial thing is instinct, but not sure if that has anything to do with memory or not

I would also think that dissmissing all the odd things fish do that suggest memory as "muscle memory" is very ignorant. My fish also seem to recognize me, as they flee from new people and rush over when its me. (No food on my hand either).

Muscles cannot reason, only train for a type of movement. And even then, movement requires action from the brain.

Now, its fine to believe they have a 2 sec memory if that is what YOU have observed, but telling the rest of us it is FACT is no better than both religious people and atheist insisting their BELIEFS are fact!

Id say there is more to suggest they DO have a memory rather than that they dont. I used to have this large mouth bass that lived in a pond where I used to live. I caught him one day and boy was he pissed! He fought hard and then I released him. NEVER did that fish bite ANY of my hooks again! And I DID watch him come to see what it was, and then reject it over and over...Thats not proof, but it presents a basis to disagree on.

Matt

i say fish remember stuff. when me or my husband approach the tank, the cardinals will come up the glass and wait to see if we're gonna feed them. but when my daughter approaches the tank they run and hide lol :D they don't like her... she's a glass smacker.... all i can think of is "twinkle twinkle little star!!" or "whhyyyy are you sleeeeepinnggg??" :biglol:

My fish know who I am. They don't do anything different when my wife or kids come around. But when they see me, they get excited.

But if you want to spice things up, send them to fish school.
Fish School

The video is funnny.

fish have no thoughts, just reactions. They know you are the source of food. that's about it. The bigger the brain the more thinking that goes on. fish brains are just not big enough. I dont understand this two second rule, what are they remembering and forgetting?

Back
Top Bottom