Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Summer4infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 72
Good to know! It sounds like you guys have lots and lots of water changing experience! So changing large volumes of water won't cause a mini cycle? Right now I change 10-25% a week, depending on the nitrate test results. I'm always worried about big water changes because if I don't get the water exactly the right temp before I put it in the tanks I end of losing some of my cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp (two separate tanks).
__________________

__________________
Summer4infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Summer4infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 72
Also, could you please point me to a good thread for water change tips... Such as good tools to use/ how to do it with less splashing/ do you use any stress products/etc... I'm still pretty new to this (6 months). I tried searching for some in these forums, but couldn't find any. I'm guessing I'm just looking in the wrong places.
__________________

__________________
Summer4infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
LostInFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jenison MI
Posts: 653
Nice, I totally agree water changes. Gotta be the worst part about owning fish
__________________
LostInFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kittykat364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Money View Post
Nice, I totally agree water changes. Gotta be the worst part about owning fish
I would have a super big tank if only for the water changes!!!! (And the space, of course)
__________________
Kittykat364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmunroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer4infinity View Post
Also, could you please point me to a good thread for water change tips... Such as good tools to use/ how to do it with less splashing/ do you use any stress products/etc... I'm still pretty new to this (6 months). I tried searching for some in these forums, but couldn't find any. I'm guessing I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Get yourself a python water changer or similar product and a bottle of prime. Start the siphon going and gravel vac while your tank is draining to remove all the waste from your substrate. Once your done draining the amount of water you want from your tank, add your amount of required prime to the tank( dose for the entire tank volume) and then refill the tank. I would never do less than 50% water change at least once a week and more if your stocking and tank size need it due to nitrate levels. I'm on a well and not city water so I don't have to use prime, just drain/vac and fill. You need prime or another water conditioner if your are on city water.
__________________
Jmunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Kongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stavanger
Posts: 6
It appears so. I kept a Silvershark for almost 10 years. Bought it when new to the hobby recommended by the pet shop to a 15 gallon beginner tank... It never became bigger than 10 cm, despite it was eventually moved to a 142 gallon tank I bought after a couple of years. It never looked unhealthy or became sick. Though it was of course not the optimal way it was being kept in its early years.
__________________
Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmunroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
It appears so. I kept a Silvershark for almost 10 years. Bought it when new to the hobby recommended by the pet shop to a 15 gallon beginner tank... It never became bigger than 10 cm, despite it was eventually moved to a 142 gallon tank I bought after a couple of years. It never looked unhealthy or became sick. Though it was of course not the optimal way it was being kept in its early years.

What happened to it? Where is it now?
__________________
Jmunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Summer4infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 72
That Python water changer looks like an amazing invention! I'm definitely going to have to get one. It is too bad there is so much misinformation about aquarium keeping. I actually worked in a pet store for a short time (20+ years ago, yikes!) and the little training we got was "wait 24 hours to put fish in a new tank, unless you add something for the chlorine, then go ahead and add fish right away. I'm still pretty new to this hobby (less than a year) and I've certainly made a lot of mistakes (I used to think cycling was just for saltwater, doh!), but have learned so much, but also still have so much left to learn! Thanks for the water changing tips! I didn't know you could put the prime into the tank before refilling it, that will make my water changes that much less complicated.
__________________
Summer4infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Normalnot1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cottonwood, Arizona
Posts: 64
Ok, this brings up a question in my mind.
With the Python, (I have one by some other name) how do you control the water temp when refilling?
I hook mine up to the kitchen faucet but only use it for refilling. Takes too much water and wastes it when you use it to vacum (drought here in AZ big time!)
I have well water and it is cold coming outta the ground, so of course I'm using some hot water too. I like to be able to do these water changes on my own, with no help but how can you do that when your tank is 20 feet away from your faucet? I mean someone has to be on the tank end and I have to be on faucet end, constantly adjusting the water temperature.
Anyone have ideas?
__________________
Normalnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
LostInFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jenison MI
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normalnot1 View Post
Ok, this brings up a question in my mind.
With the Python, (I have one by some other name) how do you control the water temp when refilling?
I hook mine up to the kitchen faucet but only use it for refilling. Takes too much water and wastes it when you use it to vacum (drought here in AZ big time!)
I have well water and it is cold coming outta the ground, so of course I'm using some hot water too. I like to be able to do these water changes on my own, with no help but how can you do that when your tank is 20 feet away from your faucet? I mean someone has to be on the tank end and I have to be on faucet end, constantly adjusting the water temperature.
Anyone have ideas?

Do like I do and use large 44 gal trash can to store at what ever temp u like. Mine has wheels and I use it to drain and fill all my tanks works great. Good luck!
__________________

__________________
LostInFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquarium, fish, size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starter fish advice? Blu3Shyft Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 39 03-03-2014 09:56 PM
Cycling a tank - is it necessary pip walters Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 87 11-17-2013 06:40 PM
the oscar debate. daveho Cichlid Discussion 74 09-04-2012 12:36 PM
Fish for NEW 65 Gals Aquarium Khrizt Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 4 04-11-2012 06:42 PM
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.