Do Fish Recognize you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavyKOTWF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When you stick your face in front of your tank, do the fish recognize you? as opposed to strangers?

I would say so. I think it also depends on the fish species and personality. A few of my saltwater fish can tell the difference between me and my husband and our roommates.

Mine do not, in general pay attention to other people in the house who do not feed them, and me for sure I get as lot of attention when I walk up!!! Not all really care one way or another though.

So, YES!!!

My discus hides in the plants around everyone else, but as soon as I walk in the room he comes out to say hi. As for livebearers and other small fish I’ve owned, I don’t think they recognized me as their owner— they didn’t act any differently around strangers.

My betta always flares and swims to the front of the tank when I walk into the room, but he hides when strangers come in.

Yes fish do recognize you , But it also depends how smart the species are my neon tetras only come up to the glass when I put my face up to it, but they don’t do it when it’s a different face

I think my fish recognise my nose and moustache. It cant see my face completely.

Back
Top Bottom