Do More Men Than Women Have Aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiekelsey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Seems to me that more guys have aquariums. When I'm searching this site or U-Tube what I find is mostly guys talking about their fish tank. Are there any women besides me that enjoy having an aquarium?

I've found it to be pretty balanced, i think.men just have better tanks:D (ding ding ding)

***disclaimer- I'm totally kidding, do not take this post seriously, do not take offense to it, smile or say ugh you're an idiot brooks..****
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've found it to be pretty balanced, i think.men just have better tanks:D (ding ding ding)

***disclaimer- I'm totally kidding, do not take this post seriously, do not take offense to it, smile or say ugh you're an idiot brooks..****
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice save Brookster!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes in my experience more men have tanks. Our swap meets are 10:1 and the clubs meetings are even less. It's our desire to control things. Plus we always like to brag ours is bigger than yours :)

My GF has a breathtaking saltwater set up that makes me jealous everything I see it.

You're not alone! Though I agree, it seems like it's more men in the hobby...at least around me. But then, there's not many people I come across around here that are into fish--male or female. I'm thrilled if I come across someone who is!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If one subscribes to the theory that men tend to care less about the appearance of their basements, rec rooms, etc., it's understandable why more men suffer from Multiple Tank Syndrome than women.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In my experience, I have met more men with tanks than women. If you believe guys like big things, it makes sense why a bunch of guys have huge fish haha.

Also, with the girls I know, a lot more don't want to deal with cleaning the fish tank or the time put into it. I think it might just be because the guys I know will fixate on things, so aquarium maintenance or rescaping or the other long chores aren't so bad.

DISCLAIMER: Sorry if I offended, just observations and I in no way am trying to further gender stereotypes nor am I stating that I believe said stereotypes

??

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream.
-Malcolm Muggeridge

I've had 4-5 tanks up at one time. My largest was a 55g.

I've never been interested in Oscars or the big aggressive fish. Love the look of Africans, but not the worry over dynamics.

But I've gotten my predatory thrills owning snakes , mostly nonvenemous, with a few exceptions, lizards and Tarantulas. I prefer feeding dead prey...but couldn't with my Tarantulas.

Falconry had plenty of blood and guts. So I've never needed to see fish get eaten.

I've managed pet stores a few times over the years. Including a reptile store. So I'm happy with my serene planted tanks ❤️
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421220437.139782.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421220474.794241.jpg

I hardly ever see females in the LFS when I'm there looking at the new stock. My wife loves my tanks but has said several times she wants nothing to do with cleaning them.

I think it is hard to tell. I have been surprised on forums at how many times I just assumed someone was a guy only to find out I was wrong. I know some of the best stores by me are run by mostly women. I think you are starting to see more and more women in the hobby unfortunately my wife is not one of them.

I am a woman, and I love my aquariums! I have 5 currently up and running! My husband likes them almost as much as I do, but I was the one who started getting addicted!

My hubby was actually the one who suggested me to buy a tank, he likes my tanks as well but I do all the work on them; )

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

I love my fish tank!! One more thing my hubby and I enjoy together!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm a member of 2 SW clubs that have get togethers/meetings. In the one that I consider to be in a more rural area, the members are split of a solid 50/50, m/f. In the one more local to me, I see more of a 75/25 split, m/f. I'm not a member of any FW clubs so no accurate comment there. For participating in a few different forums, I'd have to say it's another 50/50-m/f mix. Some I can tell are m/f and some make it known they're still not a dude ??

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I have to say in our local club it seems like mostly men. There are a bunch of active women but is seems like 3 or 4 men for every woman

Back
Top Bottom